Nash as a NUMBER 2 guard

Joewhiz

Reaction score
Could anyone see or think of Steve Nash as a number two guard.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
This was actually brought up in a thread with regards to Billups here as a Sun. I certainly think Nash could do that on offense, but it would require a big PG (a la Billups) to guard the 2 on D....

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone see or think of Steve Nash as a number two guard.

He has the shooting ability to play the 2 but not the size. You could play him off-guard for periods of time if you have a bigger point guard or a 2 guard that can handle the ball such as Joe Johnson or Kobe Bryant.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
This was actually brought up in a thread with regards to Billups here as a Sun. I certainly think Nash could do that on offense, but it would require a big PG (a la Billups) to guard the 2 on D....
No, no, please no. That will mess up all that we know so far. We need to trust what we know! I know it is easy to try something else, its not time yet! "WE ARE ABOUT AN INCH AWAY FROM A CHAMPIONSHIP" lol, I had to put that in!
Seriously, We know we were there this year! Lets not mess with our chemistry unless we know it will improve us ie KOBE, or KG!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Steve would not need to be thought of as a SG if the Suns brought another bigger PG on board. I see no reason why two PG's cannot play together unless there are chemistry issues. It would almost be like pairing Steve with a taller combo guard.

It almost reminds of the situation if JJ were still here. :bang:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I recall Nash occasionally played off the ball in Dallas when Van Exel was there. He's certainly a good enough shooter to fill some occasional minutes and he'd endure much less wear and tear, the problem is that without a big PG we'd get torched on the defensive end.

I still miss Joey J, perfect for the offense and has developed into the 1-on-1 player the Suns still desperately need when good defensive teams like the Spurs force them into a halfcourt offense. Phoenix would've held a parade this month if Sarver had coughed up the cash for him.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns have been looking at big PG's in the draft, although I don't think it is as much about moving Nash to SG and to provide some options when teams like the Spurs tend to double or overplay him.

Clearly Nash can play off the ball. He's a great spot up shooter who has a wide variety of shots. The problem has always been on the defensive end where there is always a problem teaming him up with a small guard. Teaming him with Barbosa tends to leave the Suns vulnerable to big guards and Leandro is not as small as many of the PG's in the draft.

Having two ball handlers is a huge advantage. It would be nice if Nash didn't have to get killed very time by opponents who figure that whacking him in the lane is the way to beat the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having two ball handlers is a huge advantage. It would be nice if Nash didn't have to get killed very time by opponents who figure that whacking him in the lane is the way to beat the Suns.

I have no doubt the pounding KJ took while driving the ball to the basket greatly shortened his career. KJ sometimes was literally bludgeoned in the lane like Nash with seldom a whistle.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Phoenix would've held a parade this month if Sarver had coughed up the cash for him.

Sarver offered as much cash as Atlanta and Joe Johnson said he didn't want it. Its hard to pin that one on Sarver. Unless you are meaning the Suns should've signed him sooner when they could've had him cheaper, I agree there. But once it went to that off season, JJ seemed to want out.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not really sure JJ would have solved the Nash problem. He was not really a playmaker when Nash was out, just a great one on one guy who could ensure the Suns could keep scoring.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash would be a lot like Hornacek as a No. 2. People seem to forget Horny was a decent point guard with alien-like handles. They were about the same size, similar games. Ambidextrous, shoot with either hand, H-O-R-S-E type game around the basket. Horny just wasn't asked to do that with KJ around, but he could play plenty of point with KJ out.

Horny was a better defender, though, and didn't freelance so much.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
nash's strength is passing the ball,which then opens up his shot. IF you start shooting first, then he would not be as effective. No I dont think Nash would be very successful without the ball in his hands. Especially since other shooting guards in the league are 6'4-6'8 like Joe Johnson.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nash's strength is passing the ball,which then opens up his shot. IF you start shooting first, then he would not be as effective. No I dont think Nash would be very successful without the ball in his hands. Especially since other shooting guards in the league are 6'4-6'8 like Joe Johnson.

Crunch time, it's got to be Nash. But if he's going to be hard for Nash to last as long as Stockton if he tries to attack the basket on every half court set.

Off the ball, Nash could play the style of Reggie Miller who could have played for another five years.

As I said, this is not for all the time. But moving Nash off the ball part of the time would be like playing him a third fewer minutes to keep him fresher by the time of the playoffs.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash would be a lot like Hornacek as a No. 2. People seem to forget Horny was a decent point guard with alien-like handles. They were about the same size, similar games. Ambidextrous, shoot with either hand, H-O-R-S-E type game around the basket. Horny just wasn't asked to do that with KJ around, but he could play plenty of point with KJ out.

Horny was a better defender, though, and didn't freelance so much.

Horny handled the ball a lot later in Utah that allowed Stockton to play off the ball for long stretches. Those infamous hip bumps Stockton used to give opponents while running the baseline picks/screens for Malone was why they called him dirty. Stockton was a great catch and shoot guy just like Horny. So, we'd have a lot of more options and save Nash's energy at the same time if we start play Nash like Utah did Stockton in his later career.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Horny handled the ball a lot later in Utah that allowed Stockton to play off the ball for long stretches. Those infamous hip bumps Stockton used to give opponents while running the baseline picks/screens for Malone was why they called him dirty. Stockton was a great catch and shoot guy just like Horny. So, we'd have a lot of more options and save Nash's energy at the same time if we start play Nash like Utah did Stockton in his later career.

Obviously you can't move Nash off the ball without a real PG to team with him. However, the Suns apparent interest in big PG's in the draft makes this concept something they seem to be looking at.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sarver offered as much cash as Atlanta and Joe Johnson said he didn't want it. Its hard to pin that one on Sarver. Unless you are meaning the Suns should've signed him sooner when they could've had him cheaper, I agree there. But once it went to that off season, JJ seemed to want out.
No, the Suns were never going to give JJ the max deal Atlanta coughed up for him. It was a face-saving move by an inexperienced front office after they realized that JJ wasn't going to throw away $10 million to re-sign here. I said as much about a week before he eventually ended up in Atlanta when everyone said I was full of it and he would be a Sun. But BC/Sarver did do a helluva job of convincing Atlanta that they were going to match his offer forcing a desperate Hawks front office to trade away assets.

That's without mentioning Sarver saying no to BC's demand to sign JJ to the 5yr/$45 million deal the previous offseason.

Last edited:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
No, the Suns were never going to give JJ the max deal Atlanta coughed up for him. It was a face-saving move by an inexperienced front office after they realized that JJ wasn't going to throw away $10 million to re-sign here. I said as much about a week before he eventually ended up in Atlanta when everyone said I was full of it and he would be a Sun.

Yep, it's all about you club. What other information are you holding back from us right now? Please tell...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Back to the point of this thread...Nash would be an awesome 2 guard, if we had that big pg, for defensive purposes.
What was going through JJ's mind, when he wanted out of THIS team(rhetorical q)?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05