Nash out tonight

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just heard this on LA sports radio, apparently some Clippers reporter is in Phoenix for the game and overheard. Says he's still hurting a bit, looks like playoffs are unlikely, may shut it down for what's left of the season, not sure what the future holds. They had a sound byte where he said he "hopes" to play for the Suns next season, but he didn't sound too convincing. It would be shame if this was how his Phoenix career ended, but I guess it was going to be anticlimactic no matter what.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be sad if Nash has already seen his last game in a Suns uniform. I would hope he would at least make an appearance at home against Minnesota and/or the Spurs to finish the season so the fans can show their appreciation... just in case he doesn't return.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat isn't at 100% either, he missed shoot arounds but I guess he will still play. Might be a tough night.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Nash out with flu-like symptoms. I don't think this will be his last game. Hope not.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'll always remember the end with Nash bawling in the Suns locker room after game 6 against the Lakers. One of the few guys you genuinely feel badly for, because you know how much it means to him, and how much he fought to make it happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know about Nash having the flu earlier. It sounded like he was out because he was still hurting. Some of us are a bit twitchy.

:stick:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Brooks and Dowdell are doing a good job as the Point Guard tandem.

Granted, it's against the Clips, but still . . . a good game.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. I like the guys on this team and I really like the new starting lineup. No Carter makes it so much better. I love the way Dudley is stepping up as a starter.

I have hope going into next season (if there is one). Selfishly, I'd like to see one more run with Nash and Hill but I will understand if they are traded for young talent and picks.

HooverDam

Reaction score

You know, the Clips really shouldn't be as bad as they are, they have some nice pieces. First thing they need to do is can Del Negro, he's awful.

A guy like Nash though might be a great fit there. The only downside is his age versus the rest of their core being very young, but if you want veteran leadership it doesn't come much better than Nash. Getting Nash and pairing him with Griffin would be Nash and young Amare v 2 and would make the Clipps relevant in LA.

Though I don't really know what the Clippers could send the Suns that would be fair. Mo Williams for Nash straight up works, but thats not enough and the Clippers don't have their own pick this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Selfishly, I'd like to see one more run with Nash and Hill but I will understand if they are traded for young talent and picks.
I wouldn't necessarily lump them together.

Nash's skills determine the offensive style of the Suns, so he needs to lead the team in minutes per game, but his health and stamina are declining, as we have seen. Half of the Steve Nash we've known makes us mediocre.

He has to be in the lineup all of the time or none of the time for the Suns to succeed. And, as an example, with Gortat's commitment to work on his inside game on offense during the off-season, I believe he'll be a 15-20 point scorer next season, even without Steve, to go with the other strengths he has brought to the team.

Hill, on the other hand, is showing no sign of aging except scoring less in the second game of back-to-backs. With the development of Frye, Dudley and Gortat in the starting lineup, that one facet is not as crucial as it was when we depended on a one-dimensional Frye as well as Carter and Lopez.

And Hill is our defensive stopper, covering teams' offensive stars from the "1" to "4" positions. That's not just valuable, it's necessary, regardless of our sets on offense.

Hill wants to finish his career here. I would like him to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, the Clips really shouldn't be as bad as they are, they have some nice pieces. First thing they need to do is can Del Negro, he's awful.

I kept thinking the same thing all game while watching the Clippers. How can a team with this much talent be so bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily lump them together.

Nash's skills determine the offensive style of the Suns, so he needs to lead the team in minutes per game, but his health and stamina are declining, as we have seen. Half of the Steve Nash we've known makes us mediocre.

He has to be in the lineup all of the time or none of the time for the Suns to succeed. And, as an example, with Gortat's commitment to work on his inside game on offense during the off-season, I believe he'll be a 15-20 point scorer next season, even without Steve, to go with the other strengths he has brought to the team.

Hill, on the other hand, is showing no sign of aging except scoring less in the second game of back-to-backs. With the development of Frye, Dudley and Gortat in the starting lineup, that one facet is not as crucial as it was when we depended on a one-dimensional Frye as well as Carter and Lopez.

And Hill is our defensive stopper, covering teams' offensive stars from the "1" to "4" positions. That's not just valuable, it's necessary, regardless of our sets on offense.

Hill wants to finish his career here. I would like him to.

I agree evaluating both of these players in the same breath because of age is not fair. They bring different things to the table. Last night I thought Grant Hill looked like his father, Calvin Hill (who played for the Dallas Cowboys), driving full speed through a seam to get to the goal. Hill seemingly has never lost step and is smarter than ever.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I kept thinking the same thing all game while watching the Clippers. How can a team with this much talent be so bad.

Bad coaching and bad PG play I imagine. Blake Griffin isn't a one on one scorer, he's a finisher, Eric Gordon can create a little for himself but he'd be best as a shooter who can catch and shoot after other guys drive, etc.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Prior to the season, I thought we'd finish between 10th and 14th. I allowed for the 14 spot because I halfway expected both the Kings and the Clippers to pass us by. I know all the excuses for why it hasn't happened but IMO it's mostly because we have someone like Nash (and Hill) forcing us to play at or above our level and they lack that kind of leadership.

Steve

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Bad coaching and bad PG play I imagine. Blake Griffin isn't a one on one scorer, he's a finisher, Eric Gordon can create a little for himself but he'd be best as a shooter who can catch and shoot after other guys drive, etc.

Agree. The mistake was made by trading for Mo Williams. Mo is god awful. We were one of the hottest teams before Gordon got hurt. Baron was a very big part of the success in a span of 20 games. It wasn't until Gordon got hurt that we fell apart during our 11 game road trip ( 2nd longest in history). And even then, it was Baron who was our most consistent player. Griffin hasn't been as stable since the trade and DeAndre is back to his normal self. Baron was our leader. Mo is just a shooter that plays very poor defense. We are down to just having combo guards that can't create for others.

I hate the way the Clippers look right now. A lot of fans were cheering when Baron was traded, now they are the ones realizing Baron gave us the best chance to play like a good team. Gordon's annual injuries have hurt is more than anything.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea Nash out AGAIN. Hopefully the rumors are right and he did indeed demand a trade.

Or maybe Nash just hates the Lakers so much that he's willing to not play against the Spurs to help them get the 1st seed.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yea Nash out AGAIN. Hopefully the rumors are right and he did indeed demand a trade.

I don't understand, do you not watch the Suns? What in your mind makes you think that Nash would deliberately sit out because he wants to be traded? There is NOTHING in his history that he would do that even if he wanted to be traded.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score

Or maybe Nash just hates the Lakers so much that he's willing to not play against the Spurs to help them get the 1st seed.

That would be cool. I like Nash and we need all the help we can to keep the 1st seed. Duncan was not 100% healthy in the last game and Manu and Parker also have some health problems.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hell no he ain't going to Miami.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when will Nash play again?

Gentry on the radio said they approached Nash about shutting it down for the season. They also approached Grant about slowing things down for him for the remainder of the season. Neither guy was "thrilled" about it according to Gentry and both initially responded they want to play. He said they are competitors.

The Suns are out of the playoffs though and Nash has lingering health issues. I would personally shut him down. As far as Grant, I would say let him do what he wants to do. He is not a game changer IMO.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05