NBA Players make me sick

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGrady, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Elton Brand and Kenyon Martin - all of these freaking punks have already bailed on the USA B-Ball team - I freaking hate the NBA these days - maybe I just grew up during the high point watching Magic, Larry, Isiah, Jordan, Charles, Olajuwon, Ewing, Malone, Robinson, Drexler, Pippen and the rest of those guy who took their invites as a call to arms so to speak to prove to everyone who dominant we are in B-ball - now after last year's pathetic showing coming in 6th and with more Eruos than ever in our league - our guys don't give two sh*ts - and personally - I think it says a lot about their character.

The Dream Team didn't see the Olympics as work! Hell, like Charles said when looking around - Michael, Patrick, Magic - it's summertime in the ghetto - they loved it - they embraced it - and it showed on the court. Today's NBA athelete makes me sick and I wouldn't be surprised with the team we're throwing out there if we don't take home the gold again - I mean Steph and Bibby leading the team? No Kobe, Tracy or Ray Allen? And what the hell is KG's excuse? We were knocked down last year and frankly we made asses of ourselves four years ago at the olympics - ah - rant over - I hate this league right now.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If I were selected to go to Athens, I'm not sure I would accept the offer either... and you could say a superstar athlete has a lot more to lose than a regular Joe Shmoe.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ray Allen is going to marry his girl so it is understandable.

Kobe has to face his trial.

Jason Kidd probably needs knee surgery.

Karl Malone has health problems as well.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Kenyon Martin wont be under contract

Kevin Garnett is getting married as well

Not to mention how dangerous it is going to be in Athens this summer.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
You gotta think like a player.

You play through a whole season. Your one time to take a break and it's gone. These guys would rather be at 100% for the NBA season.

If it was up to me, I'd go to the Olympics.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Olympics is a great honor for amateur athletes. I think for pros it probably isn't as big a deal. If you had to rank your career accomplishments, and one was sigining a contract for $50-$100 million, and the other was winning a little tournament for a gold disc, which do you think would come first?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're afraid of terrorism, they are injured were trying to recover from injuries, they are getting married, etc. I think you may be expecting too much from these guys, cheesebeef. I know if I was Jason Kidd I wouldn't be going. I know if I was getting married this summer like Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett I wouldn't be going to the Olympics. Tracy McGrady would be nuts to play given his injuries and contract status.

Joe Mama

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
My neighbor's daughter is in Athens right now doing a semester of work. The day after we talked about that someone set off 3 bombs at the local police station. These guys would be downright stupid to go there with the way the world is today. I am not too happy Shawn and Amare are going to be there. You can't reason with fanatics....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Not to mention how dangerous it is going to be in Athens this summer.

then the terrorist have won. if we change our daily lives in fear, if we live in fear, we bow to their strength. and it's not like it's going to get any better from here on out. the terrorists have shown their ability to frighten a mighty power. even if the u.s. eradicates the world of al-qaeda (sp?) other terrorists groups will take note of their ability to attack us and will respond in kind. i think we shall never escape the icy grip of terrorist attacks, we must, instead, adapt and continue our lives.

just like dying in a car accident is a reality that we all accept, dying in a terrorist attack is something, though remote, that we have to accept as a possibility. otherwise we end up huddled in our houses listening to the radio and watching television and never experience the world around us.

i too am disgusted by our country's "best" who have decided to pull out. injury is a legit excuse. the marriage thing is weak 'cuz it's not like we don't know when the hell the olympics are . . . and they ARE a big deal. plan around the damn thing. as for kenyon . . . i understand the not-under-contract fear, but that's what insurance is for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
minercon said:
My neighbor's daughter is in Athens right now doing a semester of work. The day after we talked about that someone set off 3 bombs at the local police station. These guys would be downright stupid to go there with the way the world is today. I am not too happy Shawn and Amare are going to be there. You can't reason with fanatics....

in one sentence you say "with the way the world is today" and in another you say "[y]ou can't reason with fanatics . . . " do you think we'll be able to reason with them in the future? if not, the way the world is today will be the way the world is for a loooooong time. so everyone should live in fear from here on out. garbage!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
then the terrorist have won. if we change our daily lives in fear, if we live in fear, we bow to their strength. and it's not like it's going to get any better from here on out. the terrorists have shown their ability to frighten a mighty power. even if the u.s. eradicates the world of al-qaeda (sp?) other terrorists groups will take note of their ability to attack us and will respond in kind. i think we shall never escape the icy grip of terrorist attacks, we must, instead, adapt and continue our lives.

just like dying in a car accident is a reality that we all accept, dying in a terrorist attack is something, though remote, that we have to accept as a possibility. otherwise we end up huddled in our houses listening to the radio and watching television and never experience the world around us.

i too am disgusted by our country's "best" who have decided to pull out. injury is a legit excuse. the marriage thing is weak 'cuz it's not like we don't know when the hell the olympics are . . . and they ARE a big deal. plan around the damn thing. as for kenyon . . . i understand the not-under-contract fear, but that's what insurance is for.

Can you imagine the cost of a $100 million insurance policy for Tracy McGrady?

Joe Mama.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
then the terrorist have won. if we change our daily lives in fear, if we live in fear, we bow to their strength. and it's not like it's going to get any better from here on out.

Are you going to Athens?

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
then the terrorist have won. if we change our daily lives in fear, if we live in fear, we bow to their strength. and it's not like it's going to get any better from here on out.

Are you going to Athens?

I wish - actually a PR group that I work for is going to Athens to cover the Olympics and if they asked me to go with them - I'd would go in a freaking heartbeat - hell I'd even pay my own way if they paid for Hotel and food - but seeing as that cheap ass company isn't gonna do that I just can't afford it.

Then again - I am the same person who knowingly flew to Europe three days before the war in Iraq started - even though everyone and their mother (literally) was pleading with me not go for fear of God knows what could happen - hell - even everyone in Europe was shocked as hell to see six Americans running around the continent without a care in the world - except that is whenever we were in front of a TV instantly killing whatever buzz we may have had at that point - but we weren't going to let anything stop what could have been a once in a lifetime opportunity with that trip and it makes me really sad that our players don't view the Olympics as that anymore - Guys like Magic and Charles have said that the Olympics were amongst the best memories and moments as basketball players - representing their country - taking back what was ours.

Terrorism is a part of life now and has been for a while - was in the 1972 olympics - was in the 1996 olympics on US soil in Atlanta and it will be for along time coming - fi you're gonna be afraid of life - why bother living it?

Last edited:

Brett10S

Reaction score
I agree with Ouchie and the others who think they should go. I would love to go to the Olympics, as a fan, and I'm sure I'd be more elated to be asked to participate. I see their thinking, but I think they are somewhat lazy also. They see the terrorism threats as an easy way to say that they won't play.

I agree that not going sends the impression that they are winning by changing our lives. We shouldnt live in fear.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They see the terrorism threats as an easy way to say that they won't play.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think it's a valid perspective. Deep down, they don't really want to go at all, so by blaming terrorism, they can get off the hook.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Are you going to Athens?

if my way was paid and i was representing the country in the friggin' OLYMPICS, hell yes i'd be going! that's a stupid response.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am not that worried about Athens.

There will be high security alert at all times. It's more likely terrorist strike when you don't expect it I would say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05