NBA standings predictions!

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, crap. Why'd they go and do that?

Now that you mention it, I remember reading a while back that Hollins wasn't getting along too well with the new owners but I figured it had blown over.

He must have been too good. George Karl got Coach of the Year last year and he was fired too.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Lakers were smart they would have fired D'Antoni and hired Lionel Hollins or George Karl.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Lakers were smart they would have fired D'Antoni and hired Lionel Hollins or George Karl.

Why, those are good coaches? I think they know they are bad and want to go after the #1 pick. With cap space, Wiggins and a then healthy Kobe, 2014 would look real bright. I would not be surprised to see Derrick Rose like drama all season about when Kobe is coming back if they get off to a really bad start.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think okc and warriors will be better than the grizz, with the spurs right there with them.

zbone and allen weren't as affective as in previous years, just have to see how they perform in the playoffs. miller and prince are another year older, and just have to see if the guards can step up.

a lot of the weight is on gasol and zbone, and when they dont do well they have nothing else to rely upon. they got by a poorly coached clippers team and an okc team missing their number two guy. then were shut out in 4 games to the spurs.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why, those are good coaches? I think they know they are bad and want to go after the #1 pick. With cap space, Wiggins and a then healthy Kobe, 2014 would look real bright. I would not be surprised to see Derrick Rose like drama all season about when Kobe is coming back if they get off to a really bad start.

Yes, they are good coaches. And the Lakers aren't gonna suck enough to get a top 5 pick. You think Nash can take a bunch of scrubs in PHX and be the #9 and #10 seed in the West but he can't take a Lakers team with Gasol, Kobe and Kaman just as far or further?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are good coaches. And the Lakers aren't gonna suck enough to get a top 5 pick. You think Nash can take a bunch of scrubs in PHX and be the #9 and #10 seed in the West but he can't take a Lakers team with Gasol, Kobe and Kaman just as far or further?

I put their wins total at 22 and when they are in the bottom 5, the ping pong gods will strike apon the second biggest market with the #1 pick. It is written, Stern 8:32
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...toni-prepared-steve-nash-miss-injuries-season

Nash, who will turn 40 in February, is the league's oldest player this season, and his early preseason production has underscored that fact. Nash, who sat out the Lakers' preseason opener to rest, is averaging just 1.3 points, 4.3 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 17.3 minutes in the three games since while shooting just 25 percent from the field.

"We'll see," Nash said Thursday when informed of D'Antoni's comments. "I'm hoping. Because [the ankle] has gotten better. At the start of camp, it wasn't very good at all, and through camp it did improve. I think [Thursday] was more of an unfortunate day than a real problem. It could linger, but I don't expect that to be the case. I'm hoping that through this month we can try to put it behind me. It's kind of a little bit of a dance because I need this time to prepare, but at the same time, you obviously don't want to pound the ankle to where I'm not able to function."

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
i think okc and warriors will be better than the grizz, with the spurs right there with them.

zbone and allen weren't as affective as in previous years, just have to see how they perform in the playoffs. miller and prince are another year older, and just have to see if the guards can step up.

a lot of the weight is on gasol and zbone, and when they dont do well they have nothing else to rely upon. they got by a poorly coached clippers team and an okc team missing their number two guy. then were shut out in 4 games to the spurs.

I may have to hedge without Hollins coaching them... wonder what kind of a coach Joerger is. I think Lionel could have nursed Miller and Prince through the regular season so they'd be in good shape for the playoffs, very likely losing some games in the process. Subtracting Darrell Arthur and adding Koufos will relieve more of the pressure on Gasol and Zach - which Ed Davis did last year to some extent and he should be better this year. Maybe early in the year they could showcase Jon Leuer (C/PF) a bit then trade him for a useful wing or backcourt piece - he's done very well statistically in their preseason games. Not the kind of player you want to trade but when a chance at a ring is in the offing you should gamble a bit.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get you say in now chumps and chumpettes. Cookies and self respect are on the line.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my only prediction is that the Suns have one of the three worst records in the league...and then probably get screwed with ping-pong balls and end up with the sixth pick!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Would be awesome if we ended up with the

#1 pick, suns
#14 pick, minnesota
#15 pick, wizards
#20 pick, Indiana
#31 pick, suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be awesome if we ended up with the

#1 pick, suns
#14 pick, minnesota
#15 pick, wizards
#20 pick, Indiana
#31 pick, suns

True, but I don't see anyway the Suns would use all these picks in next year's draft. I'm sure the Suns would be looking to move up in the 2014 draft, trade into a later draft or use a pick(s) in a trade.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but I don't see anyway the Suns would use all these picks in next year's draft. I'm sure the Suns would be looking to move up in the 2014 draft, trade into a later draft or use a pick(s) in a trade.

That seems to be the consensus, but i fail to understand why folks conclude this?
They are trying to rebuild through the draft. They will have the roster spots. Seems more likely to me that using and keeping those picks (with the exception of a trade for a star presenting itself) would be in the best interest and consistent with the plan. Now I'd agree that the goal may not be to keep all those players, but rather hope a few become core and a few become assets for future trades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus, but i fail to understand why folks conclude this?
They are trying to rebuild through the draft. They will have the roster spots. Seems more likely to me that using and keeping those picks (with the exception of a trade for a star presenting itself) would be in the best interest and consistent with the plan. Now I'd agree that the goal may not be to keep all those players, but rather hope a few become core and a few become assets for future trades.

I don't think it is wise to add too many young draft picks in a single draft because they need to get playing time and the contracts would be better off staggered. IMO, adding three first round draft picks would be the maximum to use (that's pushing it) unless more players on the board have star potential, then one can not pass it up.

In 2012 the Houston Rockets had three first round draft picks (Royce White, Jeremy Lamb and Terrence Jones). White is presently out of the NBA, the Rockets used Lamb to help them get Harden and Jones only played in a limited number of games. At some point the Suns will need to add star talent. Having numerous NBA Draft picks is like currency, but at some point one has to buy. The draft, after the first few picks, is not the surest way to get a star.

Below is a link to an article about the Rockets using their draft picks, although the Suns are reportedly looking at a much better draft concerning talent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tions-for-houston-rockets-2013-nba-draft-pick

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Not sure where that #31 pick is coming from, but regardless, I do agree that it may not be a great idea to add four rookies next year. There is playing time to worry about, and all those guys will be looking for an extension at the same time a couple of years down the road. OKC is a great example- they just could not find a way to keep all four youngsters and ended up losing Harden for a one year rental on Kevin Martin.

In all fairness, other than PG position, the Suns really could draft a player at each position and find them plenty of playing time. SG/SF lineup consists of Gerald Green, Archie Goodwin, PJ Tucker, and Dionte Christmas. PF/C positions are covered by Markieff Morris, Channing Frye, Miles Plumlee, and Alex Len.

Even if Dragic ends up being able to be a good shooting guard, the Suns could very well draft two swingmen and two PFs, and find playing time for them.

OKC example I used, at the end of the day, is a good problem to have, so my initial position may very well be incorrect. :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like the Suns to keep stockpiling first round draft picks into later years so they have at least a couple each season going forward after this season. If the Suns could trade Okafor at the trade deadline for a future first round pick, I'd be happy.

As I view it, the Suns definitely need help at SG, SF and PF. However, BPA should always rule in the draft even if it's drafting another big man early.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure where that #31 pick is coming from, but regardless, I do agree that it may not be a great idea to add four rookies next year. There is playing time to worry about, and all those guys will be looking for an extension at the same time a couple of years down the road. OKC is a great example- they just could not find a way to keep all four youngsters and ended up losing Harden for a one year rental on Kevin Martin.

In all fairness, other than PG position, the Suns really could draft a player at each position and find them plenty of playing time. SG/SF lineup consists of Gerald Green, Archie Goodwin, PJ Tucker, and Dionte Christmas. PF/C positions are covered by Markieff Morris, Channing Frye, Miles Plumlee, and Alex Len.

Even if Dragic ends up being able to be a good shooting guard, the Suns could very well draft two swingmen and two PFs, and find playing time for them.

OKC example I used, at the end of the day, is a good problem to have, so my initial position may very well be incorrect. :shrug:

That's what I'm saying. The draft is a crapshoot in many ways so why not (if available) use all 4 picks and in a few years you will know who stays and who becomes a trade asset. Maybe 2 out of 4 don't work out. So don't pick up their salary. If 3/4 or all are NBA talent, then how is that a bad position to be in. I just don't get why it's bad to have 4 rookies come in when the team is in full rebuild and looking for young talent. Will all 4 get enough time on the court? Probably not, but all 4 may not earn it in practice. The only "negative" argument I hear is that they will all come up for extensions at the same time. If they are all deserving, I don't see that as a bad thing. In fact, that would be an awesome problem to have. Anyway, I'm hoping if a star isn't available for trade and some of those picks aren't used to bring him here, I'm hoping they use all picks available and see who pans out.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. The draft is a crapshoot in many ways so why not (if available) use all 4 picks and in a few years you will know who stays and who becomes a trade asset. Maybe 2 out of 4 don't work out. So don't pick up their salary. If 3/4 or all are NBA talent, then how is that a bad position to be in. I just don't get why it's bad to have 4 rookies come in when the team is in full rebuild and looking for young talent. Will all 4 get enough time on the court? Probably not, but all 4 may not earn it in practice. The only "negative" argument I hear is that they will all come up for extensions at the same time. If they are all deserving, I don't see that as a bad thing. In fact, that would be an awesome problem to have. Anyway, I'm hoping if a star isn't available for trade and some of those picks aren't used to bring him here, I'm hoping they use all picks available and see who pans out.

And that's a good point- if your chances of getting a good player is 50%, you might as well use all 4 picks, and hope you end up with two good players. Other than PG, we need players on every position, it's not as if though finding PT will be an issue.

I think I am moving away from the "Don't use all four picks" position. Suns lack of talent is so bad that it might just make sense to pick all four.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston will come out of the West. I like Asik and and Howard starting togehter and Lin has just been benched. Asik being there will save on the wear and tear on Howard.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't know if Denver is tanking or not but I think they will be bad this year - they've struggled badly in the preseason. Their new coach doesn't seem to like Faried...

Errntknght

Reaction score
'Predictions' based on games thru Nov 6th. I used my offensive efficiency metric to generate this list. The first number is the predicted number of wins - which add up to approximately the right number. The second number is the teams own offensive efficiency rating and the last one is their opponents collective rating. The average of all ratings is 100.
Western Conference
Team Wins Own Opp
GSW 64 110 86
San 53 105 93
LAC 52 128 116
Hou 49 113 104
Min 49 96 88
Dal 46 111 106
Okl 43 90 88
NOr 43 103 100
-------------------------- Lottery
Por 40 113 114
Pho 36 93 98
Mem 33 98 107
Uta 28 85 100
Sac 27 95 111
Den 26 88 104
LAL 17 95 121

Eastern Confernce
Ind 65 99 73
Mia 60 123 103
Atl 51 117 106
Orl 46 98 93
Cha 44 100 96
Mil 44 106 103
Det 41 97 97
Bro 40 103 105
---------------------------- Lottery
NYK 35 87 93
Phi 34 99 106
Was 32 106 115
Cle 32 86 96
Chi 29 90 103
Bos 29 85 97
Tor 28 99 114

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
36 wins is way too much for us.

Do you mean it's too many for what's best for us or are you saying we aren't going to win this many? Having watched them play every game this season I am not convinced we can't win 35+ games. The addition of Bledsoe, Plumlee and Green in addition to the improved games of the Morris brothers makes this a far different team than the one we suited up last year. Maybe the league will soon figure us out and we'll start looking the same on the court as we do on paper but so far we appear to be average or thereabout.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake