NBA West Playoffs!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's go Suns!! Mavs are giving us the 8 seed after their loss tonight vs the Clippers. Just need to win out the rest of the way (unlikely but possible) and can even steal the 7 seed from the Grizzles. Playoffs would be great for this team. Fun to watch, especially with everyone saying the Suns were going to be the 2nd worst team this year! :shock::shock:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best thing this team can do is not make the playoffs and get in that lottery hopefully jump up a few spots.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Best thing this team can do is not make the playoffs and get in that lottery hopefully jump up a few spots.
Uh what? :bang:

I'd rather this team get some playoff experience especially for guys like Bledsoe, Dragic, Plumlee, Tucker since it will be their first time in the playoffs as starters. It will be extremely beneficial for the Morris twins, Len, Goodwin and Green as well.

The chances of some playoff experience benefiting the Suns is much greater than moving into the top 3 from the 14th pick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh what? :bang:

I'd rather this team get some playoff experience especially for guys like Bledsoe, Dragic, Plumlee, Tucker since it will be their first time in the playoffs as starters. It will be extremely beneficial for the Morris twins, Len, Goodwin and Green as well.

The chances of some playoff experience benefiting the Suns is much greater than moving into the top 3 from the 14th pick.

Dragic and Bledsoe have playoffs experience lets be realistic Plumlee and Tucker are average role players who might not even be on the team in two years/three years when this rebuilding process is over. Len is not ready to play the guy is barely getting on the floor.

I've been a Suns fan my whole life born and raised here. I'm so tired of making the playoffs with no real hope of winning a championship. For ages this was a 50 win team and no real shot. You need to get into that lottery and hope you move up. It's been known to happen that would be the best thing for this organization in the long run. You build in the NBA with top picks. This is a good draft you need to be a part of that not get swept my the Spurs so you can get "experience".

asudevil83

Reaction score

you dont understand the draft lotto.

the suns have a 98.2% chance of staying at #14, and ONLY a 1.8% chance of the #1-3 picks. the cannot move up "a few spots" at all.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you dont understand the draft lotto.

the suns have a 98.2% chance of staying at #14, and ONLY a 1.8% chance of the #1-3 picks. the cannot move up "a few spots" at all.

Oh trust me I understand the lottery. And you can't win if you don't play. I'm not saying jump all the way to the top. But just a few spots might do wonders.

Strange things have been known to happen at the lottery from time to time

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh trust me I understand the lottery. And you can't win if you don't play. I'm not saying jump all the way to the top. But just a few spots might do wonders.

You clearly don't understand the lottery.

It is not possible to jump up " a few spots ". You can only jump in the top3 or get pushed down a few spots because someone behind you jumped in the top 3.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Establishing a winning culture and getting playoff experience for our players is far more important than draft position IMO. As for Dragic and Bledsoe, neither one of them has been a starter on a playoff team.

Also as much as I would love to get a top pick in this draft the fact remains that it is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen and I'm not even sure there are any sure superstars in this draft.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Trust me, you don't understand the lottery if you think you can move up a few spots from #14. asudevil has it exactly right - you either move up to 1-3 or you sit at #14. The good thing about starting at 14 is that no one can jump over you and push you down any further. (That's a joke by the way.)

McD might be able to trade our two lower picks to move up a bit, like to 12. I can imagine him doing that if he's sees the chance to nab someone he thinks is worth it - like he did with Goodwin last year. As many have noted we do not need three new rookies next year but your chances of a big hit improve if you take 3 shots... there are always high-risk high-reward guys available.

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be fitting for the season to come down the last regular season home game for the Suns vs the Grizzles to see who makes the playoffs! Hopefully the suns can lock up a spot before then though.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Teams with most regular season wins to not make playoffs, since 1984 when the 16-team playoff format was introduced:

Code:
TEAM		YEAR	WINS

golden state	07-08	48
[B]phoenix		08-09	46[/B]
houston		00-01	45
minnesota	04-05	44
seattle		00-01	44
houston		02-03	43
utah		12-13	43
houston		10-11	43

Notice how all these teams are in the west, and all from the last 14 years. The Suns had the second-best non-playoff season just a few years back.

Now if you look further back to the 8-team playoff years, then the Suns have the top two non-playoff seasons with 49 wins and 48 wins in 71-72 and 70-71 respectively.

Looks like this year a team might set a new record.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone's saying trust me but saying different things. I don't know who to trust!

Don't trust any of us, just go to Wikipedia and search for NBA lottery. If you scroll down to the chart you'll see that the 14th seeded team can only win the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 14th pick. The 13th pick can only win the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 13th or 14th pick and so on. Several years ago the lottery was modified so that you are only drawing for the first three picks. If you don't hit the jackpot and come out with one of those spots, you draft based on your record or up to 3 spots lower if low seeded teams get lucky.

Trust me.;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't trust any of us, just go to Wikipedia and search for NBA lottery. If you scroll down to the chart you'll see that the 14th seeded team can only win the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 14th pick. The 13th pick can only win the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 13th or 14th pick and so on. Several years ago the lottery was modified so that you are only drawing for the first three picks. If you don't hit the jackpot and come out with one of those spots, you draft based on your record or up to 3 spots lower if low seeded teams get lucky.

Trust me.;)
I also didn't know which opinion to trust, and whether it would be better to move up in the draft or gain playoff experience.

Thanks for the official word.

And, BTW, I do. :)

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather see the Suns see a run at the playoffs instead of moving up the draft board. When this year's team is playing at it's best, they are extremely tough. Bledsoe being at 100% is huge. They probably not gonna win it all (if they get in), but will battle whoever they face!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I could very easily see them being similar to the GS team that upset the Mavs. Especially if Bledsoe continues to progress.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want them to push for the playoff...even if they fall short of making it. They go out with the knowledge they are going to be better next season. With the better FO and all the rave, Phoenix also looks like a good destination again for players.
I am not sure why folks are clamoring for a losing culture...draft is not the only route to championships.If they suck...then they suck. You dont tell a player to play less than his potential or a coaching team, to "coach to tank"

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score

Trust me.;)

I was really just being facetious. :)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
No guarantees in the draft. You play to win the games.
It is pretty clear these players want to be in the playoffs and that is a good thing

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake