NE willing to Trade Jimmy Garoppolo

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If BASK feel confident that he is worth the price the Pats are asking, I see no reason why they wouldn't make the trade. The Kolb deal should play no part in it. Successful GM's aren't afraid to make mistakes. They work hard to make the most informed decision possible and go with it. If there was a hall of fame QB in his prime available... Wait, that doesn't happen. So of course there is a ton of risk involved, but its not easy to find a franchise QB. I know we won't get one by not drafting or trading for one! JG might be good or he might be trash, but Kolb, Cassel or any other QB has no bearing on what he will do.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Haha---just thought that if the Cardinals trade for JG and have him sit for a year behind Carson Palmer, then that would make 3 redshirt 1st rounders in a row.

I think that if they did trade for JG they would have to play him sooner rather than later. Everyone's thoughts?

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
Haha---just thought that if the Cardinals trade for JG and have him sit for a year behind Carson Palmer, then that would make 3 redshirt 1st rounders in a row.

I think that if they did trade for JG they would have to play him sooner rather than later. Everyone's thoughts?

I think he would need to sit just to learn the offense. He could be the day one starter in 2018.

Mitch

Reaction score
I think he would need to sit just to learn the offense. He could be the day one starter in 2018.

Would he be #3 behind Stanton?

So, if you sit him for his 4th year in a row, what do you pay him on his free agency contract having not seen him play in your offense? Do you have to resort to the f-tag if he thinks the team is low-balling him?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

So, if you sit him for his 4th year in a row, what do you pay him on his free agency contract having not seen him play in your offense? Do you have to resort to the f-tag if he thinks the team is low-balling him?
IMO a trade would have to be dependent upon a deal being reached...perhaps an escalating contract where bonuses kick in based upon playing time and performance... this way the team is protected but he still gets mad paid if he lives up to expectations.

would prefer to trade a 2nd and a 3rd though...one this year and one next year...maybe two 2nds.......... we really need this years first... for a LB or WR..... we can get a solid CB in the third and a guard in the 4th

Mitch

Reaction score
IMO a trade would have to be dependent upon a deal being reached...perhaps an escalating contract where bonuses kick in based upon playing time and performance... this way the team is protected but he still gets mad paid if he lives up to expectations.

would prefer to trade a 2nd and a 3rd though...one this year and one next year...maybe two 2nds.......... we really need this years first... for a LB or WR..... we can get a solid CB in the third and a guard in the 4th

JG is not going to accept an escalating contract based on bonuses and incentives. The Cardinals would have to do what they have done with Chandler Jones and pay him his current salary for one year and then work on a long-term deal or use the f-tag if necessary.

What all of this suggests is that if the Cardinals are going to trade a 1st rounder and a 4th for a QB, then they have to go all in. It would be silly to have JG sit another year. Thus---any trade of this kind and magnitude is moot. The Cardinals are happy with Carson Palmer who has 2 years left on his contract. They also have Stanton signed for another year. And word has it they see upside in Zach Dysert.

They do not seem to be as anxious to draft or sign a QBOF as we the fans are...although Steve Keim has been watching Clemson's practices this week, and if he falls in love with Deshaun Watson, he could very well decide to take him if he is available and guys like Mike Williams, Jonathan Allen, Jalen Tabor, Reuben Foster, Marlon Humphrey and Jamal Adams are off the board.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
JG is not going to accept an escalating contract based on bonuses and incentives. The Cardinals would have to do what they have done with Chandler Jones and pay him his current salary for one year and then work on a long-term deal or use the f-tag if necessary.

What all of this suggests is that if the Cardinals are going to trade a 1st rounder and a 4th for a QB, then they have to go all in. It would be silly to have JG sit another year. Thus---any trade of this kind and magnitude is moot. The Cardinals are happy with Carson Palmer who has 2 years left on his contract. They also have Stanton signed for another year. And word has it they see upside in Zach Dysert.

They do not seem to be as anxious to draft or sign a QBOF as we the fans are...although Steve Keim has been watching Clemson's practices this week, and if he falls in love with Deshaun Watson, he could very well decide to take him if he is available and guys like Mike Williams, Jonathan Allen, Jalen Tabor, Reuben Foster, Marlon Humphrey and Jamal Adams are off the board.
just saw a mock that had us drafting Watson at 11..... I think I would prefer Zach Cunningham myself... but I do like Watson, just pretty sure BA would ruin him, lol.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Brady despite his age wants to play at least three more season or so it seems and many are forgetting that Palmer is of the same mindset... just saying and would Jimmy G want to sit again :)

Mitch

Reaction score
just saw a mock that had us drafting Watson at 11..... I think I would prefer Zach Cunningham myself... but I do like Watson, just pretty sure BA would ruin him, lol.

Seeing as SK has been watching the Clemson practices this week, I wonder if he becomes convinced to try to trade up for WR Mike Williams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Seeing as SK has been watching the Clemson practices this week, I wonder if he becomes convinced to try to trade up for WR Mike Williams.
you really think we would have to trade up for Williams?

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score

Release Stanton.

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score

Word where? I haven't seen anything related to this.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It's all about years of control. You have one more then you'd have to tag or re-sign him. If they did draft a 1st round QB they'd have 4-5 years of control.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We won't need to trade up for Mike Williams.

He might not even be the first WR off the board.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Jimmy is very accurate and the kid has football smarts. Kolb sucked for us because he could not stay healthy but he would have been fine if he could have been on the field... Jimmy is a better version of Kolb in my opinion and he just played for a small school but to think he does not have value to a franchise without a Tom Terrific is not knowing all the facts

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely!!! You would basically be giving up the later round pick!!!

It just blows my mind that many peeps here keep trashing the Cards for not drafting a high round QB with good tools & yet when it comes down to it, they would ignore the opportunity like the plague.

The guy can play!!!
This. Summed up nicely Bucky.

And, given BASKs first round history, this is definitely worth doing.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Wouldn't give up the first rounder for him but I would give up a second. The reason is he got hurt after just a couple games. If we did get him I would release Stanton. Use that money to sign him to a three year contract for five million a year. I think he would go for that and he could learn the offense for a year before taking over in 2018.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
One of two things are going to have to happen.

1. Get a young qb via trade or FA.
2. Draft one.

I say yes but buyer beware as NE is famous for system players which isn't a bad thing sometimes. Get him at a low cost because picking higher in the draft this year our picks are valuable with other needs.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
One of two things are going to have to happen.

1. Get a young qb via trade or FA.
2. Draft one.

I say yes but buyer beware as NE is famous for system players which isn't a bad thing sometimes. Get him at a low cost because picking higher in the draft this year our picks are valuable with other needs.
I would not give up anything more than a 3rd round pick for him and that is if the professional scouts think that he is for real. How many failures do we need to see before teams stop throwing away draft picks and money for QBs that played well in a few games. every system and set of circumstances are different. watching a guy perform over the course of three or four games is not enough to know what he will over a long period of time and if we go by those few games he couldn't even make it through them all.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
I would not give up anything more than a 3rd round pick for him and that is if the professional scouts think that he is for real. How many failures do we need to see before teams stop throwing away draft picks and money for QBs that played well in a few games. every system and set of circumstances are different. watching a guy perform over the course of three or four games is not enough to know what he will over a long period of time and if we go by those few games he couldn't even make it through them all.
There is definitely a risk involved as the taste from the Kolb deal still lingers.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There is definitely a risk involved as the taste from the Kolb deal still lingers.
that's where you have to ask if he were in the draft where would he be drafted. and you cannot overrate him because of 3 games played with the best coach in the NFL.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Even Kolb had a bigger sample size than Jimmy does...albeit Jimmy looked a lot better than Kolb ever did. And the fact that Jimmy got injured after only his 3rd game in action...that's very concerning.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Even Kolb had a bigger sample size than Jimmy does...albeit Jimmy looked a lot better than Kolb ever did. And the fact that Jimmy got injured after only his 3rd game in action...that's very concerning.

Was he injury prone in college?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that jumps out about Kolb is that he concussion issues. If Garoppolo does not have these type issues I'm more willing to explore the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05