Nene to the Suns?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:
You guys are tilting at windmills.

Amare is going to sign a max contract to stay with the Suns. JJ may go elsewhere, but it's not very likely.

I'm more worried about adding depth and rebounding than I am losing any of our guys to free agency.

I never said he wasn't going to sign. I just said this is my worst nightmare and I'll feel better once he signs.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The same thing could happen with JJ.
What if JJ doesn't get an offer he thinks is fair because the Suns have been advertising that they'll match any offer. He could get pissed and request a one year deal that the Suns would have to give him.

At that point he can't be traded by the Suns and becomes unrestricted at the end of the season.

This is the Suns we're talking about, not the Clippers. If JJ wants to go elsewhere, the Suns will accede to his wishes.

This is all what-if games until free agency starts, and neither JJ nor Amare have made any sort of hints that they are anything but happy in Phoenix.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
You guys are tilting at windmills.

Amare is going to sign a max contract to stay with the Suns. JJ may go elsewhere, but it's not very likely.

I'm more worried about adding depth and rebounding than I am losing any of our guys to free agency.

like I said - it's no reason to worry unless Amare doesn't sign the extension. Once he does, there'll be nothing to talk about, but until then, my deepest fear of the lure of LA is my biggest, albeit it may be a somewhat irrational fear - it's still a fear.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
This is the Suns we're talking about, not the Clippers. If JJ wants to go elsewhere, the Suns will accede to his wishes.

if that's the case they are idiots. You don't acede to a players wishes - especially one the caliber of JJ - without getting anything back in return.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If something like this happened it would be different with Amare. The Suns will obviously offer Amare the MAX.

The only reason Amare would turn it down is because he wanted to leave. If this nightmare happened the Suns would have to trade him next season or risk getting nothing in return.

Like I said I'll sleep easier in a few weeks when Amre signs a MAX extension.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just for clarification and for the record - I DO think Amare will sign a MAX extension this offseason.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
if that's the case they are idiots. You don't acede to a players wishes - especially one the caliber of JJ - without getting anything back in return.

I'e been thinking lately that the Suns might piss JJ off by telling everybody that they'll match any offer.

Why would a team waste 15 days of precious free agent time signing JJ if they know the Suns will match?

If JJ doesn't get any offers and the Suns offer him less than he thinks he's worth he might sign a one year tender.

Hopefully the Suns will just make him a nice offer and put this all to rest.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I didn't say they'd let him go for nothing. I said if he didn't want to play here, they'd not push the issue.

If he wants to go to Cleveland to play with Lebron, for example, I could see the Suns doing a sign-and-trade deal for a few first round picks and young guy or two - Luke Jackson, Dajuan Wagner, Jeff McInnis, who knows?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope this thread doesn't get twisted into a "Devil and Cheese thinks Amare doesn't want to be here!"

I know for myself I was just saying what my worst fear was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
I didn't say they'd let him go for nothing. I said if he didn't want to play here, they'd not push the issue.

If he wants to go to Cleveland to play with Lebron, for example, I could see the Suns doing a sign-and-trade deal for a few first round picks and young guy or two - Luke Jackson, Dajuan Wagner, Jeff McInnis, who knows?

oh - gotcha.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I'e been thinking lately that the Suns might piss JJ off by telling everybody that they'll match any offer.

Why would a team waste 15 days of precious free agent time signing JJ if they know the Suns will match?

If JJ doesn't get any offers and the Suns offer him less than he thinks he's worth he might sign a one year tender.

Hopefully the Suns will just make him a nice offer and put this all to rest.
i dont see how he could get pissed at the GM for saying he is important piece to the puzzle and we will do anything to get him back. i dont see JJ as that type of player. He is a team player and i think he likes it here. it seems like the team is very close. i think the shoping he does this summer will be to try to get a feel for how much he is worth.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I really hope this thread doesn't get twisted into a "Devil and Cheese thinks Amare doesn't want to be here!"

I know for myself I was just saying what my worst fear was.

AGREED

I haven't heard Amare say anything about wanting to leave but I have often thought that Amare could make twice as much over the course of his career playing for the Lakers as he will playing for the SUns.

He's articulate, smart, self-controlled and INCREDiBLE on the court.
That combination in LA would make him a marketing dream.

I hope we're having this discussion again in 6 years. Of course at that point the Suns may have to pay him something like $40 million a year to keep him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i dont see how he could get pissed at the GM for saying he is important piece to the puzzle and we will do anything to get him back. i dont see JJ as that type of player. He is a team player and i think he likes it here. it seems like the team is very close. i think the shoping he does this summer will be to try to get a feel for how much he is worth.

I think he likes it here too but the reason he didn't sign last summer is because he thought the Suns weren't offering him what he's worth.

Why would he roll over now after having such a great year?

He's going to hear a number from his agent and that's what he's going to want.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:

Cleveland would only do this if they didn't have cap room which they do.

I don't think JJ wants to leave but I think things could get ugly if he thinks the Suns are scaring off offers to sign him to a smaller contract.
Like I said before, if the Suns play games with him he has the right to demand a one year deal. At that point the Suns can't trade him. They can't trade him now either.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Cleveland would only do this if they didn't have cap room which they do.

I don't think JJ wants to leave but I think things could get ugly if he thinks the Suns are scaring off offers to sign him to a smaller contract.
Like I said before, if the Suns play games with him he has the right to demand a one year deal. At that point the Suns can't trade him. They can't trade him now either.

It's not so much about cap room as it is Cleveland offering him a contract and the Suns not matching.

Say, JJ visits Cleveland, hangs out with Lebron, and decides he wants to play there. He calls up BC, talks to him about it, and BC and Cleveland's GM work something out. That's the way it usually works.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:
It's not so much about cap room as it is Cleveland offering him a contract and the Suns not matching.

Say, JJ visits Cleveland, hangs out with Lebron, and decides he wants to play there. He calls up BC, talks to him about it, and BC and Cleveland's GM work something out. That's the way it usually works.

I guess that's possible but I don't think I've ever heard of a player in JJ's situation orchestrating his own trade like that.

Example?

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I guess that's possible but I don't think I've ever heard of a player in JJ's situation orchestrating his own trade like that.

Example?

Penny Hardaway . . . Erick Dampier . . . Jamal Crawford. All three picked the team they wanted to go to and orchestrated sign and trade deals.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:
Penny Hardaway . . . Erick Dampier . . . Jamal Crawford. All three picked the team they wanted to go to and orchestrated sign and trade deals.

Weren't they all UNRESTRICTED?

Also the teams these guys were on din't want them anymore.

fordronken

Reaction score
Dan H said:

Yeah, but they weren't coming off of making it to the conference finals with a young team on the rise. They're also all moderate to large head cases. And in most cases when this happens, they're leaving anyway for a set amount of money(not RFAs) or the team doesn't want them back in the first place, but regardless, the team would like some kind of compensation.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the new CBA yet obviously, but one of the things everybody was saying early on is that both sides wanted that 15 day waiting time for matching offers knocked down to at most a week.

Joe Mama

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The Bulls were happy to get rid of him.

You asked for an example, I gave you one. Why so obtuse?

Admittedly, you said players in JJ's situation - but how many guys will leave a title contender when said title contender is willing to pay just as much money as any other team? Looking at it that way, your worries are even more far-fetched.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I haven't seen the new CBA yet obviously, but one of the things everybody was saying early on is that both sides wanted that 15 day waiting time for matching offers knocked down to at most a week.

Joe Mama

15 days is rediculous. This is just a way to make it harder for players to move. 3 days is plenty of time for a tem to have their lawyers look over the contract and decide whether they want ot match or not.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:
You asked for an example, I gave you one. Why so obtuse?

Admittedly, you said players in JJ's situation - but how many guys will leave a title contender when said title contender is willing to pay just as much money as any other team? Looking at it that way, your worries are even more far-fetched.

I just don't think JJ's situation is the same and I'm a little concerned about the way the SUns have handled him.

They should have offered him a beeter deal last summer and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

BC and the front office made some great moves over the last few years and it has obviously paid off but they've also pulled a few ****** to go along with the gems.