New and Improved 2008 Draft Prospects Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alexander is a freak athlete though Lohaus was never that athletic.

I think someone already posted it here but there's a pic that proves that Alexander can "headbutt" the rim from a jogging start, he can REALLY get up off the floor.

What I love about him is he's a killer he just doesn't back down. I first saw him against UCLA 2 years ago and he was trash talking guys but backing it up you could see he was going to be really good and he knew it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think someone already posted it here but there's a pic that proves that Alexander can "headbutt" the rim from a jogging start, he can REALLY get up off the floor.

What I love about him is he's a killer he just doesn't back down. I first saw him against UCLA 2 years ago and he was trash talking guys but backing it up you could see he was going to be really good and he knew it.

watched him play extensively (big east alum - go hoyas), wasn't impressed. not for the next level.

but what do i know? i wanted john wallace over nash and maggette over marion. i likely would have applauded the tim perry drafting and boo'ed the dan majerle drafting were as big a sports geek then as i am now.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score

Alexanders has also a monster work ethic and he’s only been playing organized basketball for about five years. Considering where he is after those 5 years... lets just say I really wouldn't mind if Suns pick him with their pick

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watched him play extensively (big east alum - go hoyas), wasn't impressed. not for the next level.

but what do i know? i wanted john wallace over nash and maggette over marion. i likely would have applauded the tim perry drafting and boo'ed the dan majerle drafting were as big a sports geek then as i am now.

He's definitely not polished but as JoRain said he only recently started playing basketball.

Draftexpress had a thing about him they were just raving about how athletic he was and how he's in amazing shape just goes forever without getting tired. They said in workouts they were doing a dunk thing to show off and the other prospects just stopped to watch Alexander. Of course to be fair I think we all know part of that is because he's white and people can't believe he can jump like he can.

He's similar to Budinger in that regard just not as polished offensively(Better defensively though and more competitive).

They seem to think he's staying in the draft and that's why Devin Ebanks just commited to West Virginia.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a first round pick in fact maybe undrafted but there's strong rumor that Luc Richard Mbah a Moute won't be back at UCLA. He's very close to graduating in 3 years and apparently with 2 years of injury problems he's decided to just stay all in for the draft and see what happens with the idea he'll play overseas if he doesn't make an NBA roster.

I don't think he's drafted he wasn't invited to the camp which basically means they don't expect you'll be drafted.

Great kid but I think he's looking at playing overseas teams don't value 6'7" PF's even if they are exceptional defenders at multiple positions, and his almost total lack of offense will keep him undrafted I fear.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not a first round pick in fact maybe undrafted but there's strong rumor that Luc Richard Mbah a Moute won't be back at UCLA. He's very close to graduating in 3 years and apparently with 2 years of injury problems he's decided to just stay all in for the draft and see what happens with the idea he'll play overseas if he doesn't make an NBA roster.

I don't think he's drafted he wasn't invited to the camp which basically means they don't expect you'll be drafted.

Great kid but I think he's looking at playing overseas teams don't value 6'7" PF's even if they are exceptional defenders at multiple positions, and his almost total lack of offense will keep him undrafted I fear.

i'd take a shot at him in the second round hoping to hit bruce bowen like gold.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Alexanders has also a monster work ethic and he’s only been playing organized basketball for about five years. Considering where he is after those 5 years... lets just say I really wouldn't mind if Suns pick him with their pick

He is the second coming of Dan Majerle (More athletic, although Majerle was a decent Athlete when he was younger and before the roids).

asuhoopnut

Veteran
Reaction score
He is the second coming of Dan Majerle (More athletic, although Majerle was a decent Athlete when he was younger and before the roids).

Hey Squid..... Where did the steroids comments come from regarding Majerle?
Where did you see or hear this? Or are you just fabricating someting and starting a rumor? This is a dangerous accusation if you don't have some facts or a link behind this comment.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Hey Squid..... Where did the steroids comments come from regarding Majerle?
Where did you see or hear this? Or are you just fabricating someting and starting a rumor? This is a dangerous accusation if you don't have some facts or a link behind this comment.

By marriage I am related to his exwife Tina, she's kinda bitter, that's all I will say. I also have dirt on Googs, back in my days when I attended a party with Jeff Majerle via a good friend. Muahaha, hot tubs and chicks FTW.... seriously I am a big Dan Majerle fan the roid comment cannot be backed up with any real proof, it's all hearsay.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a comment today comparing Budinger to Rex Chapman. Kind of interesting Chase is taller but it's an interesting comparison both great leapers who were white, both shot a lot of jumpshots, neither played defense.

Chapman sort of came in very hyped, for his career just under 15 PPG but he never shot over 50% in a single season career was 43, 35 from 3.

They're saying C Bud is almost a lock top 15 now and may go even higher.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I'd really really like D.J. Augustin. I think he's a pass first PG that had to score a lot last year. He had more apg 2 years ago which was better than Connely that year. ESPN's bio says he's a huge fan of Steve Nash. Why not bring him on to learn from him.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'd really really like D.J. Augustin. I think he's a pass first PG that had to score a lot last year. He had more apg 2 years ago which was better than Connely that year. ESPN's bio says he's a huge fan of Steve Nash. Why not bring him on to learn from him.

Draft Express says that Augustine is being considered by the Clippers at #7

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Love-to-Minnesota--2898/

Is 7th a Reach for Augustin?

In desperate need of help at the point guard position, and with D.J. Augustin in their sights holding the 7th overall pick, the Clippers are pondering whether to pull the trigger on the extremely productive sophomore playmaker from Texas. Augustin will clearly be the best point guard on the board, but may be a bit of a reach where they are selecting. Workouts will play a big role in the decision of Elgin Baylor and key decision maker Mike Dunleavy Sr. They will also likely nab a big man with the 35th pick.

Adding interest is the fact that Augustin has reportedly decided to hire Thad Foucher of Los Angeles-based agency Wasserman Media Group as his representation. Foucher is from Augustin’s home-town of New Orleans, and the agency has strong ties to the Texas program, currently representing LaMarcus Aldridge. If Augustin is selected in the top 10, WMG could have 5 of the top 10 picks in the draft, as they also represent Derek Rose, Brook Lopez, Danilo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph. There are rumors that they may end up signing Russell Westbrook as well.

Augustin has numerous fans in the lottery, including Charlotte and especially Indiana, and likely doesn’t slip past Sacramento at #12 at worst. He is one of the 9 players who will be participating in the very exclusive NBA pre-draft camp media session, which is a very good sign for him.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Alexander is very very explosive for... a white guy.

With that said, he does remind me of Marion in that he has such a pogo stick like leaping ability and energy.

He could be a sleeper.

He takes off very easily, and its not just when he is not guarded, he can take a bump or 2 and still explode... thats Marionesque..

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

With that said, he does remind me of Marion in that he has such a pogo stick like leaping ability and energy.

He could be a sleeper.

He takes off very easily, and its not just when he is not guarded, he can take a bump or 2 and still explode... thats Marionesque..

Alexander appears to be getting a lot of interest, so I can't see him listed as a sleeper right now.

Change in subject: has anyone information on C.J. Giles of Oregon State? It appears he has a bunch of issues, but could be worth looking at with the Suns second pick. He's 6'11" and 240

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4098

Strengths: Tremendous athlete for his size who can run the court and leap with the best of them … Has shown the ability to shoot 16 feet from the basket when his feet are set … Giles has all the physical tools needed to be an elite shot blocker with his explosives, wingspan and great timing … His mobility allows him to be a great help defender when the perimeter defense breakdowns … Possesses above average hands capable of catching difficult passes, something he struggled with at Kansas … Excellent finisher around the basket or in transition where his athleticism allows for aggressive dunks … Has shown a nice looking jump hook when his back is to the basket … A solid rebounder out of position thanks to his wingspan and lateral movement … Plays the game aggressively and has the mean streak to become a menace … Potentially, he has yet to develop and doesn’t have a lot of bad habits … Has no problem doing the dirty work and will hustle to get put-back opportunities … Physically, Giles possess the body type to add weight without sacrificing his athleticism … Does a solid job of using his length to his advantage around the basket … Has a very good rapport with teammates and was even seen supporting teammates after his dismissal from Oregon State … Post footwork shows good balance and quickness … Free throw shooting has improved and shows good form …

Weaknesses: Off the court issues have severely halted his development over the course of four years … Doesn’t get wide in the post, which leads guards to lob difficult passes over defenders to get the ball to him … Aggressiveness in basketball has its drawbacks, as he doesn’t know how to regulate his emotions and has a tendency to pick-up frustration fouls … Back to the basket skills are still in need of refinement and lack any variety … Can have mental breakdowns in games, as he usually follows one good play with several bad ones … Some have wondered if his lack of development is the product of lack of experience and work ethic, or if Giles is uncoachable - he has had three coaches in four years and hasn’t been able take to instruction … Shot selection leaves a little to be desired, but to his credit he could be rusty from not playing for a year … Basketball IQ isn’t at the level that you would like to see with a player his age … Court vision prevents him from being much of a post passer at this time in his career … Needs to box out better when rebounding in his area … Because of his lack of post moves Giles doesn’t really have the ability to create contact against opposing defenders to get to the free throw line … Although the potential is there, one may wonder if he will ever have the discipline or opportunity to develop it …
Matthew Maurer - 5/21/08

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alexander appears to be getting a lot of interest, so I can't see him listed as a sleeper right now.

Change in subject: has anyone information on C.J. Giles of Oregon State? It appears he has a bunch of issues, but could be worth looking at with the Suns second pick. He's 6'11" and 240

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4098

Giles is a train wreck off the court he's been in trouble everywhere, HS, Kansas, OSU. He's very athletic but at OSU he was a total foul machine.

My prediction is he'll be a nightmare in the NBA some guys just never grow up.

The first thing the interim coach did after Jay John was fired at OSU, was kick Giles off the team.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
One guy who is still listed being available at #48 is Hunter of Ohio State. Apparently he did well in Orlando, so he might go higher but he sounds like a decent prospect for the second round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Orlando-Recap-First-Team-All-NBA-Pre-Draft--2909/

Othello Hunter, 6-9, PF, Senior, Ohio State
11.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 60% FG, 50% FT, 25 minutes

Joseph Treutlein

Othello Hunter has done everything he can to help his stock in this draft process, consistently playing well in all the games at both Portsmouth and Orlando. In addition to showing the things he’d already shown at the college level, he’s also displayed an improved mid-range jumper and looked a little better with his back to the basket. He hasn’t hurt himself in the measurements either, (6’8 ½ in shoes at Portsmouth with a 7’2 ¾ wingspan) while also looking to be amongst the best here in Orlando in the vertical leap department by our naked eye.

Hunter showed a consistent motor and ability to impact the games with his length and athleticism. The first thing that stands out is his mid-range jumper, which actually improved for him as the season went on at Ohio State. Looking at video from the first few games of the year and the last few games of the year, some noticeable changes occurred with his shooting form. The most obvious change is more deliberate mechanics in general and more consistency holding his follow through. He also altered his mechanics themselves slightly, bringing the ball up over his forehead before the release. He doesn’t get much elevation off the ground, but his length compensates for that as release point is high. These changes have increased his effectiveness significantly on spot-up jumpers from the mid-range, which he’s shown at both camps and towards the end of the college season. He’s done a good job knocking down 15 footers when getting open off pick-and-pops or drive-and-dishes, while even showing flashes of college three-point range in the NIT Tournament Finals. His skill-level isn’t anything to write home about at this point, but it may give NBA teams some room for optimism regarding the future.

Hunter also has looked better in the post, showing slightly crisper execution and footwork along with better accuracy on his hook shot and turnaround jumper. He also seems more comfortable in the post in general, not really rushing much, and making better use of countermoves. A lack of strength and balance, along with still undeveloped footwork, definitely gives him problems at times, especially when establishing position, but he’s making improvements.

On the defensive end, Hunter benefited here by not being matched up with many powerful post players that could take advantage of his slight frame, something that has hurt him in the past. He also only blocked two shots on the week, but contested quite a few more. Hunter did really well on the boards, though, and actually was the 10th ranked offensive rebounder per 40 minutes pace adjusted in our database on the season.

Hunter’s performance here, along with his physical tools and the learning curve he’s shown over the past two years, has made a decent case for him as a late second round pick in the draft, despite his less than ideal size for a power forward. The fact that he’s only played competitive basketball for six years definitely helps his case, as does the way he came out here and distinguished himself from other players with similar stocks heading in, while also showing strides in some of his weaker areas. He still has to add a significant amount of weight to his frame to compete effectively in the NBA. While not a lock at all, Hunter should get some consideration late in the draft.

He sounds like a potentila replacement for the role that Marion played. He is likely to slip due to being only 225 and not a classic back to the basket inside guy. At the same time, he's not suited to the wing. But with his length and leaping ability, he could be a good shot blocker and activity rebounder with at least some shooting skills.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Trading up for Mayo and a veteran big man using Barbosa and #15 would be my prefered scenario. I also like Bayless.

And obviously Derek Rose but he will go top 2.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dont think you can get BOTH a top 6 pick AND a big man with Barbosa and 15th.

Maybe Knicks, only team I can think of that will prefer Barbosa over any of the picks outside of the obvious 2.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

He could be a sleeper.

This guy has some serious hops! Take a look at these.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joe-Alexander-1185/

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

Joe Alexander (38 ½ inch max-vertical, 24 reps, 2.99 ¾ Court Sprint) is a freak

We had that confirmed to us two weeks ago already when we went to watch him workout on Las Vegas, but it’s good to see that in print. His measurements (6-7 ¼ without shoes, 6-11 ½ wingspan, 220 pounds) are ideal for an NBA small forward. We know his work ethic is top notch, so it’s not hard to envision him improving on his below-average skill-level substantially as well over the next few years. If he has good workouts, it wouldn’t be hard to see him surpassing Danilo Gallinari as the top small forward in this draft. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joe-Alexander-1185/

It's tempting to take this kind of writeup as a mere exaggeration, but in watching the youtube videos, it is not so hard to believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKY3ashUMI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAmuyqVR0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQC0fBAbvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YkitJ5-wuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKY3ashUMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHe4XRN8o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0zJEiRCfWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Tx-sdMmvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLyIMmtRus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXIbHpMTyE

Last edited:

asuhoopnut

Veteran
Reaction score
If he is a small forward in the NBA, why should I draft him before I draft Chase Budinger for example?

Because he is alot better than Budinger now and in my opinion, will be a much better NBA player in the future. His heart and head is always in the game. Can you really say that about Budinger?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Alexander rated at the second higherst bench press rating and the second fastest 3/4 court time, and the tenth best max verticale. Alenader is just vastly stronger and more athletic than Budinger. Alexander has a standing reach of 8'10", but strenght is often more important than reachs huge:

Alexander - 24 reps (second best at camp)
Hardin - 20
Dorsey -19
Beasley - 19
Love - 18
McGee - 7
Boork Lopez - 7
Randolph - 7
Donte Green - 2

IMHO, if the Suns took Alexander it would be to become as a small power forward in the Shawn Marion mode - except that he's a lot stronger than Shawn. Right now he lacks the defensive footwork of Shawn to be able to guard wings, but that took Shawn a while to develop too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Westbrook made it official today he's hiring an agent and will stay in the draft.

Pretty amazing story kid couldn't even dunk as a junior in HS had a late growth spurt. Played 9 MPG as a freshman at UCLA and is now going to be a lottery pick one year later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05