New and Improved 2008 Draft Prospects Thread

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
Can a first round draft pick be left overseas for a year?

Are there interesting prospects for the Suns' own pick or will we sell again?

Yes on the first question. They don't sign a rookie contract, but the team owns the rights.

The Suns already sold their own first round pick for 2008 to Seattle in the Kurt Thomas trade, plus their 2010 pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like any doubt Brook Lopez will be in the next draft has been erased. the academically ineligible soph to be at Stanford has now been suspended indefinitely from the team for violating rules. The coach says he needs to start attending class and practice before he'll be reinstated. Twin brother Robin was put on probation and both kids were reportedly not in classes this week according to Stanford's daily paper.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like any doubt Brook Lopez will be in the next draft has been erased. the academically ineligible soph to be at Stanford has now been suspended indefinitely from the team for violating rules. The coach says he needs to start attending class and practice before he'll be reinstated. Twin brother Robin was put on probation and both kids were reportedly not in classes this week according to Stanford's daily paper.

What a waste. They could have went to U of A but decided to go to Stanford and now their basketball careers are going down the drain. Oh well there are plenty other big men in CB.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Some news about Batum:
He had another good game against Pau (former Diaw team) in a 78-73 win with 19 points (6/11, 2/4 3pt, 5/6 FT, 8 rebounds and 2 assists) in 30 minutes. At the half of the game he had only scored 2pt put finished the game very strong.

Yesterday evening he had his first Euroleague game this season in a 74-71 loss against Maccabi Tel Aviv, a strong Euroleague team. Le Mans was ahead for most of the game but lose nerves and the game in the last quarter (20-9).
Batum filled up his statsheet with 9 points (4/9, 1/4 3pt)/3rebounds/5 assists/6 steals/3 TO /2 PF in 31 minutes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little update on incoming freshmen debuts so far in exhibitions or games.

Derrick Rose had 17 and 8 assists against Tennessee Martin, I don't get ESPNU so I didn't see it but reportedly he was easily the best player on the floor looks like a lock top 3 pick. I read one review where the guy said I sat next to an NBA scout and he told me without question Rose is the best prospect in the country his outside shot has improved from highschool and nobody can touch him athletically he's much bigger than Collison and a much more pure PG than Mayo.

There's a rumor that I can't confirm that in a scrimmage against Marquette, Kansas State freshman Michael Beasley poured in 49 points. I have confirmed they scrimmaged but apparently stats aren't officially kept under NCAA rules so no idea if the 49 was real.

USC scrimmaged Fullerton State, Fullerton won, Mayo had 27 in 29 minutes according to Fullerton fans(again unofficial stats) but was reportedly absolutely torched by Fullerton guards Frank Robinson(20) and Josh Akognon(Washington St transfer had 28 in 26 minutes).

Kyle Singler had a double double in his Duke debut like 20 and 12.

Kevin Love has played 2 exhibitions, 15 and 12 in the first(about 20 minutes) and 23 and 10 in the 2nd(25 minutes).

I got mixed reports on Eric Gordon one said he's already IU's best player in practices and exhibitions, the other said that IU has basically conceded that Gordon can score but he's struggled with his outside shot because he's not being guarded by guys who are so afraid of his strength inside that they just concede him jumpers (like they did in highschool). The consensus seems to be the best comparison for Eric is a bit like Ben Gordon(undersized SG who can't play PG) but more powerful. The main problem everyone seems to have with him is defense but that's pretty typical of freshmen same thing with Love and Mayo in game reports I've seen.

This appears to be an exceptionally strong freshman class.

Also, don't be surprised to see Nolan Smith of Duke moving up the rankings very quickly reports are he's been absolutely brilliant so far in practices and exhibitions.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Also has Chris Douglas-Roberts as player of the year. Not one scouting service has him in the top 60 next year. This should be interesting...

Memphis winning national title..

The prior years is pretty accurate... Had DJ Strawberry #17 overall that I found interesting and when DJ led the summer league in assist maybe theres something to it??

CDR had 28pts and 8 rebs and now draft express has moved him from the class of 2009 second round to mid first round 2008 draft class... People will be talking about this kid alot, sure Derrick Rose may be drafted even ahead of him but not more than a slot or two.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Look out for Beasley he is this year's Kevin Durant IMO.

I don't want to include the ATL pick in any trade. Hang on to it until the end of the year and see where it falls, no use giving up a pick that could net us a PG to replace Nash (Rose) or a big to replace Amare if necessary (I like DeAndre Jordan out of Texas A&M or Taj Gibson out of USC).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look out for Beasley he is this year's Kevin Durant IMO.

I don't want to include the ATL pick in any trade. Hang on to it until the end of the year and see where it falls, no use giving up a pick that could net us a PG to replace Nash (Rose) or a big to replace Amare if necessary (I like DeAndre Jordan out of Texas A&M or Taj Gibson out of USC).

The question on Gibson is what is he a 4? He basically plays 5 at USC and he has a lot of skills he can handle the ball and supposedly his faceup jumper is much better this year. The problem he had last year was aside from fouls and wearing out playing Center, he was an absolute turnover machine because he tries to play like a guard so much.

But he's a hell of a player great hands, ferocious rebounder reminds me a lot of Rodman in that regard. He completely destroyed Hansbrough in the NCAA's, if he hadn't got tired and got into foul trouble USC wins that game. AS soon as he goes to the bench UNC starts playing volleyball on the offensive glass and takes the game.

He's supposedly added 15 pounds of muscle so it will be interesting to see how much better he is. With all the mayo hype I really think Taj is the key to USC and was last year, he's the reason they got as far as they did.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can O.J Mayo come out this year I thought he was still in highschool and had to play atleast one year of college?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can O.J Mayo come out this year I thought he was still in highschool and had to play atleast one year of college?

He's going to USC and I think he'll be 20 by the time of the draft so I think he'd get in regardless.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going to USC and I think he'll be 20 by the time of the draft so I think he'd get in regardless.

Mayo turned 20 2 days ago so yes after this year at USC he's completely draft eligible.

His debut is Saturday against Mercer.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
USC lost by 15 today to Mercer.

O.J. Mayo scored 32 points(12/27), 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
USC lost by 15 today to Mercer.

O.J. Mayo scored 32 points(12/27), 8 rebounds and 4 assists.
...and 8 turnovers.

Not a good way to start off the year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayo was 9-24 but then hit his last 3 shots, all threes, in a blowout loss so even the 32 is misleading.

Best debut was michael Beasley, 32 and 24 rebounds against Sac State! I didn't get to see any of it but I read about in the Sac paper the next mornign the Sac State coach said if he's not as good as Durant I hope we never play against someone who is.

Kevin love was pretty impressive 22 and 13 he had a double double with 10 minutes left but they rested him. Howland said he got so pumped up he wound up cramping and they had to take him out. He's still getting tired too early in games but he was dominant when in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Beasley is slipping, after 32 adn 24 in his debut he only had 30 and 14 in 29 minutes in his second game!

Looking like a POY candidate right now

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eric Gordon scored 33 points(9/15), 6 rebounds, and 4 ast for the Indiana Hoosiers.

D.J. Augustin had an ok night with 19 points and 4 ast.

I was able to watch the Duke vs NMSU and I'm not impressed with the Duke prospects. All five players on that team can shoot from the outside but Duke lacks any kind of inside presence.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Gordon scored 33 points(9/15), 6 rebounds, and 4 ast for the Indiana Hoosiers.

D.J. Augustin had an ok night with 19 points and 4 ast.

I was able to watch the Duke vs NMSU and I'm not impressed with the Duke prospects. All five players on that team can shoot from the outside but Duke lacks any kind of inside presence.

Singler has a chance to be good but he needs to get a lot stronger, right now he's very skinny. The irony, Singler came down to Duke and UCLA, and he chose Duke in part because UCLA told him he'd play the 4 and he wanted to play the 3. Taylor King verballed to UCLA in 8th grade, later changed his mind when Howland told him he saw him as a 4 not a 3. So both are freshmen at duke and Singler is basically playing the 5, and King the 4! I guess they preferred to listen to Coach K tell them they could play the 3 at Duke than listen to Howland tell them the truth.

Gordon was really impressive, I kind of thought he was an overrated tweener I had no idea he was that good of a shooter.

Second chance to see Kevin Love tonight on ESPN2 7:30 pacific time and then Thursday you can see Derrick Rose. Really loaded freshmen class.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Singler has a chance to be good but he needs to get a lot stronger, right now he's very skinny. The irony, Singler came down to Duke and UCLA, and he chose Duke in part because UCLA told him he'd play the 4 and he wanted to play the 3. Taylor King verballed to UCLA in 8th grade, later changed his mind when Howland told him he saw him as a 4 not a 3. So both are freshmen at duke and Singler is basically playing the 5, and King the 4! I guess they preferred to listen to Coach K tell them they could play the 3 at Duke than listen to Howland tell them the truth.

Gordon was really impressive, I kind of thought he was an overrated tweener I had no idea he was that good of a shooter.

Second chance to see Kevin Love tonight on ESPN2 7:30 pacific time and then Thursday you can see Derrick Rose. Really loaded freshmen class.
Yes it is, and here is another freshman that had another big night.
don’t sleep on LSU freshman big man Anthony Randolph, who notched 19 points, 13 boards and 6 blocks in a win over SE Louisiana. Needless to say, this year’s freshman class is SICK …
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine/2007/11/13/Welcome_to_Hell

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another thing to like on Eric Gordon, he played Michael Jordan's son Marcus in the movie Space Jam.

:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy on Bruinzone finally came up with a comparison for Kevin Love that I think really works, Jeff Ruland. I think he has better range on his shot than Ruland did and is a better passer but same size and I can see Kevin is a REALLY physical player(not dirty yet like Ruland was) so it's a decent comparison.

Cowens was often used but he's not nearly as athletic as Cowens was, same with Alvin Adams but Ruland is a better comparison in that regard.

I have to admit watching him get winded so quickly last night I am almost deluding myself into thinking Love might play 2 years at UCLA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Anthony Mason a bad comparison for Love?

Not bad I think Love is taller and a better shooter but Mason did have that unusual ability to pass and face up for a guy his size. Mason was a much better defender.

I think the fact that it's so hard to find a decent comparison for Love points to the notion that many have that he'll be a great college player but maybe not a great pro. I would think it would be a lot easier to find comparisons if guys like him succeeded in the NBA?

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love has had 2 over the head outlet passes to the guards on the break. After Love's second outlet passes one of the announcer " Are you kidding me!" Now that's three outlet passes that by love that have lead to baskets for UCLA

Chase Budinger with 25 points and 5 rebounds for U of A