New and Improved 2008 Draft Prospects Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not bad I think Love is taller and a better shooter but Mason did have that unusual ability to pass and face up for a guy his size. Mason was a much better defender.

I think the fact that it's so hard to find a decent comparison for Love points to the notion that many have that he'll be a great college player but maybe not a great pro. I would think it would be a lot easier to find comparisons if guys like him succeeded in the NBA?

yeah, i watched love and the bruins. you can see he's very skilled, but not overly talented. he does, however, know how to use his size, but that'll be negated at the next level as the competition is of equal size and stronger.

i think you've nailed it. there's no good comparison at the nba level, and that may be a good indicator that he doesn't translate well to the next level, but will be extremely effective in college.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i watched love and the bruins. you can see he's very skilled, but not overly talented. he does, however, know how to use his size, but that'll be negated at the next level as the competition is of equal size and stronger.

i think you've nailed it. there's no good comparison at the nba level, and that may be a good indicator that he doesn't translate well to the next level, but will be extremely effective in college.

his ceiling is Brad Miller's heyday with the Kings. Nothing more, nothing less IMO.

How tall is the kid at Indiana? Dude has range and hops, but is he a tweener?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love has had 2 over the head outlet passes to the guards on the break. After Love's second outlet passes one of the announcer " Are you kidding me!" Now that's three outlet passes that by love that have lead to baskets for UCLA

Chase Budinger with 25 points and 5 rebounds for U of A

The one to westbrook was sick, he actually threw a lookaway outlet about 60 feet on a rope for a dunk. It was amazing he took one dribble, faced up to pass and looked left and whipped it right. Unreal.

When UCLA gets Collison back(he's just been cleared to resume practice should play Monday against Maryland) and then Roll(best post feeder on the team) Love will get a lot more touches. Really fun to watch him play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep call me selfish but I'm almost hoping he's like Hansbrough a dominant college player who NBA teams are not all that excited about so he stays in school.

My gut says one and done and he'll eventually find a role in the NBA but I just don't think he's athletic enough to ever be a star. But I hope I'm wrong he's a great kid I'd be thrilled if he turns out to be a great NBA player too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6'4 - 6'5 I think.

I think 6'3" is closer but he's pretty strong. He's built a lot like Mitch Richmond not sure he's quite as tall though. I thought he was a tweener coming in but he's a much better shooter than I realized. I thought he was a guy who was so strong HS kids just gave him the open jumper, that happens alot kid gets to college and isn't nearly the shooter because guys are now guarding the jumpshot, doesn't seem to be the case with Eric Gordon though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 6'3" is closer but he's pretty strong. He's built a lot like Mitch Richmond not sure he's quite as tall though. I thought he was a tweener coming in but he's a much better shooter than I realized. I thought he was a guy who was so strong HS kids just gave him the open jumper, that happens alot kid gets to college and isn't nearly the shooter because guys are now guarding the jumpshot, doesn't seem to be the case with Eric Gordon though.

so he's kind of Ben Gordon on steroids? Is that an apt description?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so he's kind of Ben Gordon on steroids? Is that an apt description?

Yeah I used that earlier and it's pretty close, I think he handles the ball a bit better than Ben did at the same age.

There are so many good freshmen this year, we haven't even talked about Bayless at Arizona who may be the best athlete other than Derrick Rose of the whole group.

Another kid I'll throw in not a freshmen is Stephen Curry at Davidson. Had a bad shooting night against UNC last night but he's really good. Baby faced skinny son of Dell Curry, can shoot it, great quick release, deep range, handles the ball well. Plays SG now but is probably a PG down the line. Has to get stronger and improve shot selection but it amazes me that nobody in the ACC figured out how good he was in HS.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI I guess we now know why Stephen Curry strugged against UNC, he's got a torn ligament in his left wrist. He needs surgery but would miss 2 months so he's playing with it. He's right handed but it is still affecting his shot as you can imagine.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watched a little bit of Rose tonight against the Huskies. Kid definitely looks like he's got game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watched a little bit of Rose tonight against the Huskies. Kid definitely looks like he's got game.

Bad shot selection but he's a ridiculous athlete. He's so quick for his size.

Beasley had 28 and 22 boards last night, 2nd game over 20 boards already.

Mayo had 29 last night but is now 10-37 on 3's for the year and has 15 turnovers in 3 games (they are going down 8,5,2). It sure looks like so far mayo is more of a SG than a PG but after a poor first game shooting he's really improved. 3 game average 26PPG, 6 rpg 4 apg, 5 To shooting 49%.

For a true freshman(even a 20 year old true freshman) guard those are good numbers. Their schedule gets tough soon so it'll be fun to watch. They play at memphis 12-4 although I get the impression he and Rose won't guard each other.

Speaking of SC it's early but one of the most improved players in the country has to be Daniel Hackett(the guy whose jaw Mayo busted) his first 2 games back he's averaged 21 5.5 RPG, 6.5 APG had a triple double last night and has only 2 TO in the games combined. He played all 40 minutes last night which considering how much weight he lost with his jaw wired shut is pretty amazing. Sounds weird but losing all that weight made him a much better player.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little bit of topic but I really like Westbrook's mohawk.
You must be registered for see images

:thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little bit of topic but I really like Westbrook's mohawk.
You must be registered for see images

:thumbup:

I'm actually amazed Howland let him do that and didn't make him shave his head. Floyd made Nick Young shave his Frohawk a couple of years back I kind of figured Ben would be the same way.

Love was impressively unimpressive in the Maryland game. had by far his worst game suffered leg cramps again from fatigue, 5-12 from the floor, missed 5 of 12 freethrows, was tired, has a broken finger on his left hand(courtesy of Aboya in practice) and yet with all that, when the dust settled he had 18 points 16 boards and would have had about 6 assists if the guys would make layups. Very good college player still think it's iffy how he projects in the NBA though.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that is right. I could be wrong, but I remember Woolridge when he was a Sixer and he was all of 6'4" tops and built like Kevin Randelman (UFC, Pride)....

Edit: I guess you are right: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/woolror01.html

I must be thinking of someone else who wore goggles, but was a SG in the early 90's....

FYI Orlando's son just signed an LOI to play for Tennesee next year, Renaldo Woolridge.

It's those things that remind me I'm old.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yo cheese, still feel this draft isn't as good as last year's. I think I remember you arguing with your brother about it. The top in this draft is going to be sick, here is Ford agreeing, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=08NBADraft-071120.

We just have to watch atlanta now. We are owed getting one of rose, beasley, mayo, or gordon (who larry bird said could play in the nba last year) but even if it is around 8/9 we'll get a solid player.

Come on atl, be like last year's cardinals, have all the talent to make it a turnaround year, but be one year away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo cheese, still feel this draft isn't as good as last year's. I think I remember you arguing with your brother about it. The top in this draft is going to be sick, here is Ford agreeing, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=08NBADraft-071120.

We just have to watch atlanta now. We are owed getting one of rose, beasley, mayo, or gordon (who larry bird said could play in the nba last year) but even if it is around 8/9 we'll get a solid player.

Come on atl, be like last year's cardinals, have all the talent to make it a turnaround year, but be one year away.

I mentioned Riek months ago there's speculation he's as old as 23-24. If he turned 18 in November he won't be draft eligible in 08 will he? Wouldn't be 19 until November. Anyhow I'd be really surprised if he wasn't several years older than they say he is now he's like Oden he looks MUCH older. I saw him play in the Rucker Park all star game recently he's huge but he's nowhere near NBA ready.

Austin Daye on that list is having a terrific freshman year but he's like 180 pounds at 6'10" he's way too skinny to go high in the NBA draft.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm actually amazed Howland let him do that and didn't make him shave his head. Floyd made Nick Young shave his Frohawk a couple of years back I kind of figured Ben would be the same way.
I'm surprised then too because it's not just a Frohawk, hes got a some designs of a basketball(i think) on the side of his head.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Michigan St. big men are being really physical with Kevin Love(3/7). If Michigan can prevent the offensive rebounds, they should win this game.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Michigan St. couldn't handle UCLA's press/traps and that's what lead to tonights loss,IMO. Kevin Love did most of his damage on the offensive boards, and finished with 21 points and 11 boards.

Eric Gordon again with a 30 point night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michigan St. couldn't handle UCLA's press/traps and that's what lead to tonights loss,IMO. Kevin Love did most of his damage on the offensive boards, and finished with 21 points and 11 boards.

Eric Gordon again with a 30 point night.

Gordon is pretty special. Seems to score effortlessly you have to like that he's not taking a ton of shots either to get his points.

Supposedly Love had welts and cuts all over his back after the game, just got abused in there but didn't let up. The last 2 games are showing that love has to adjust to better bigmen, he's 11-27 against Maryland and MSU, the more athletic and bigger opponents are clearly bothering him.

And yet he's still got over 20 in both games and had 27 rebounds so while he's bothered by their size, he's producing.

Great win they basically played 6 guys and gutted it out in the 2nd half.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I caught a few minutes of the George Mason - Kansas State game which George Mason won. It looked like K-State has several guys with the talent to be viewed as professional prospects, but George Mason has a lot of seniors with significant tourmament experience and experience won out.

Beasley only played 25 minutes due to foul trouble, but still scored 30 points on 13 of 20 and had 10 rebounds out of a team total of 33.

Chad Ford ranks Beasley ahead of Rose and Mayo, "Beasley, in my opinion, is the top prospect in the draft, primarily because of size. In the draft, size matters -- in the past 20 years, Allen Iverson is the only No. 1 overall pick in the draft under 6-foot-7.

Beasley has an NBA body with unbelievable athleticism and skills for a guy his size. Entering Kansas State, his question marks were attitude and work ethic. But he has received rave reviews from his coaches, and the results to match: His averages of 30 points and 20 rebounds aren't misprints."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=08NBADraft-071120

It's hard to imagine the Suns getting any of the top three, but if Beasley plays at this level for the entire season, I'm not sure I would pass on the replacement for Marion even for Rose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05