New Boris?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
IMHO, the biggest challenge for Boris is strength.

No it isn't--for one thing, he does a good job fronting.

What Boris needs most is to regain enough agility to stay in front of people. Even PFs and Cs were driving by him at will last year.

Turiaf would be fine in a Mark Madsen role, but the Suns would never offer enough $$$ to get him away from L.A.

I hope France runs Tony Parker into the ground. :thumbup:

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wrote Turiaf as a response to 404959 claiming that no one else on the French team is NBA caliber.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wrote Turiaf as a response to 404959 claiming that no one else on the French team is NBA caliber.

And what about Mickael Pietrus?

The weird part about this subject is that France has as many NBA guys as anybody, which is why they have such a problem re-adjusting back to FIBA rules. The Greeks have no NBA guys and the won last year.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
And what about Mickael Pietrus?

The weird part about this subject is that France has as many NBA guys as anybody, which is why they have such a problem re-adjusting back to FIBA rules. The Greeks have no NBA guys and the won last year.

There is also Gelabale. He had a good run with Seattle when Lewis was injured. It was a big surprise that Bergeaud didn't select him. Gelabale was a key player for France in 2005 and 2006.
Diawara is great on Defense. He can produce on offense but doesn't have the confidence to do it.
Soon we should also have Noah and Batum in the French team and who knows, Petro may wake up and develop in a decent center.
Kirskay is also very good. I think he is better that any French NBA player not named Parker or Diaw. He is just older (27) and don't have the "prospect" label anymore (Bergeaud picked him over Gelabale).

Against Slovenia France had only 3 assists :eek:
This team has a lot of problems:
- The team is weak inside. Turiaf is the only big with a decent offensive production. Weis does his job on defense but can't score. Diaw or Pietrus can produce inside but they are undersized.
- The team seems to wait for Parker to do all by himself. The players don't move when Parker has the ball in hands. Some players looks like they don't want to take their responsibilities (they wait the light from Parker or Diaw).
It is strange because some of them are legitimate offensive options in good European teams.
- A lot of one on one (consequence of the poor ball movement).
- Against Slovenia some french player suffered the "FIBA sucks" syndrom. They discuss the officiating and argue with players after a hard foul instead of focusing on their game.

On the bright side, France as still won 2 games and lose against Slovenia by one point. Parker had a huge game against Italy and carried the team against Slovenia. Kirskay integration in the team works fine. The team has enough talent. If they can share the ball and scoring they should play much better. The team defense works really well.

I almost wish Parker has a poor shooting game to force France to play as a team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we lose sight of the strengths and weaknesses of Parker when he's playing with the Spurs. His strength is breaking down his man off the dribble and getting to the basket. His weakness is in running an offense as his 5.5 assists per game last season suggests.

When using a guy like Parker against a FIBA zone, it is best to use him off the ball. But without Pop keeping him in line, he becomes another Iverson.

In 2005, Parker was awful in the early stages of the French campaign and so Diaw played a kind of point forward which was hugely successful. Parker and Diaw may be best friends, but that doesn't mean Parker will pass Boris the ball.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
When using a guy like Parker against a FIBA zone, it is best to use him off the ball. But without Pop keeping him in line, he becomes another Iverson.

Maybe, except that Parker makes five shots for every four that Iverson does.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe, except that Parker makes five shots for every four that Iverson does.

Except against Slovenia... :bang:

It's an interesting tradeoff when a guy is a really great on-on-one player. The trick is to know when finding the open man is better than having a great player take a more difficult shot.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It might contribute, but 35.8% is horrible any way you slice it. And we really have no idea if Parker shooting a lot is by design or not.

This issue came up last year during World Cub, so I'm inclined to thinkt heir coach is not getting it done.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Parker can't pass the ball to any French player in good condition because his teammates don't move. It is not easy to find the open man if there is no open man. That said Parker should do a better job to involved his teammates.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By now it is clear that Boris is not having a good series on offense, but he has been France's best rebounder with 32 in 5 games (6.4 per game in 30.7 minutes). Turiaf with 20 is averaging 2.6 in 16.6 minutes.

This is not a huge rebounding rate at 0.218 per minute, but it is an encouraging sign after grabbing only 0.138 per minute last season in the NBA.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
By now it is clear that Boris is not having a good series on offense, but he has been France's best rebounder with 32 in 5 games (6.4 per game in 30.7 minutes). Turiaf with 20 is averaging 2.6 in 16.6 minutes.

This is not a huge rebounding rate at 0.218 per minute, but it is an encouraging sign after grabbing only 0.138 per minute last season in the NBA.
He also had 4 offensive rebonds against Lithuania showing a more aggressive attitude. He also has 2 aggressive blocks the one against Italy being a game winning block. I really like his attitude on this side of the court.
On the offensive end he is a disappointment. His ballhandling is suspect, he keeps the ball in hands too long, he doesn't attack the basket as he could.
He also takes too much 3pt (1/9 for the last two games).
When he takes a 3pt he looks like someone who already knows he will not score. Kirksay (a player very similar to Diaw) went 1/6 against Lithuania... but he looks confident with his shooting.
To finish on a positive note, he had a couple of nice pass leading to open shoot for his teammates (they missed so he doesn't have many assists).

So far, the best French on defense is Pietrus. He did a very good job guarding Dirk. He is a 6'7 PF and could not be a starter or even a major bench player in the NBA. But if a team looks for a role player to defend on mobile PF he could be a nice addition. He can also do the little dirty things.

Parker is great on this tournament. Lithuania defended on him very well with a lot of double team and giving a lot of open 3s to the French team (11/36). If his teammates begin to score he will become deadly again. If they don't... France will leave the tournament very soon.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you are underrating the talent of Pietrus, but otherwise it feels like the French team is not working as a team.

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are underrating the talent of Pietrus, but otherwise it feels like the French team is not working as a team.

He's not talking about Mickael Pietrus. He's talking about Florent, who played for the summer Suns a few years ago. I don't think Mickael is even playing for France this year.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's not talking about Mickael Pietrus. He's talking about Florent, who played for the summer Suns a few years ago. I don't think Mickael is even playing for France this year.

Oh, I forgot. Florent has done a good job in previous years, but does not seem to have quite that little extra his brother brings although they are similar.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/coid_sD0-YdGKJ6YhZuWljQTEj3.articleMode_on.html

Boris Diaw broke out of a recent slump to record a tournament high 18 points as France (3-2) beat Turkey (0-5) 85-64 in their final game of the qualifying round.

The result didn’t affect the fate of Claude Bergeaud’s men who had already secured their place in the last eight and knew before the game that they would face Russia in the quarter-finals tomorrow night.

You must be registered for see images
Despite having NBA stars like Hidayet Türkoglu in the line-up, Turkey struggled at EuroBasket.

And while a victory was not crucial for France, the players felt it was a much-needed boost ahead of tomorrow’s clash.

“This win gives us a bit of confidence going into the game tomorrow,” said swingman Tariq Kirksay, who finished with 15 points – hitting all of his shots from the field and the free-throw line – along with four rebounds and three steals.

“We had to work on some things and I think we did well. I don't know if you want to say it was a practice game, but we wanted to work on some stuff. And we wanted to win and we got some players some confidence. And now we have to be ready for tomorrow.”

Turkey, meanwhile, now head home and have time to contemplate where they go from here after finishing dead last in Group F, failing to win a single game in the second phase of the tournament.

“We just have to wait and see what happens for us and Turkish basketball,” admitted guard Engin Atsur afterwards.

“I hope this doesn't do immense damage to Turkish basketball. Obviously we're disappointed, but we're going to try to bounce back as a country in basketball. It hurts because we had a great summer last year. If you look at it, we have great talent, but we just couldn't make it as a team this year.”

The game was close for the better part of the first two quarters before France used an 8-0 run in the closing minutes of the first half to take a 43-35 lead at the break.

Little used back-up center Pape Badiane scored five of his 12 points in the spurt as Les Bleus went ahead 36-35 and never relinquished the lead.

France extended their lead to 56-46 by the end of the third quarter and Diaw scored 10 of his team-high 18 points to end Turkey’s hopes of a late comeback, despite a three-point barrage by team captain Ibrahim Kutluay and some fine play down low by Kaya Peker.

“The most important thing for us was not so much to win against Turkey but to play a good game because we have to be ready for Russia,” Diaw explained.

“We wanted to go forward and not back in terms of play and we did that against Turkey. We got everybody to play tonight and that's good because we might need all of our players to be ready to step up for the rest of the championship.”

Peker had a game-high 19 points while Kutluay added nine points – all on three-pointers.

Diaw's stat line (btw Turkey featured Okur and Turkoglu)

18 points on 7 of 14 shooting and 4 of 4 from the line
5 rebounds

This was one of Tony Parker's weakest games this tournament, scoring just 6 points on 2 of 8.

Last edited:

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. Florent has done a good job in previous years, but does not seem to have quite that little extra his brother brings although they are similar.
Yes I was talking about Florent. He is really great on defense. He knows how to use his athletism (similar to his brother). I think that on this side of the court he is the best of the two brothers and one of the best defender in Europe.
On the offensive end the story is different. He has improved lately but he is not very good. When he is hot he can shoot 3pt but he is not very reliable. He can finish to the basket with dunks... and nothing more. In this euro he tried a couple of time to force things and drive to the basket... with embarassing results. But he is also quiet good using his high energy to get garbage point and to draw fouls.
His only problem is that he his only 6'7 and is really a PF who can't play SF (or with poor results). But put in the right team, with a defined role (like Bruce Bowen) he could be usefull.
Actually he would not help the Suns much for he is too small to guard Duncan.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/coid_sD0-YdGKJ6YhZuWljQTEj3.articleMode_on.html

Diaw's stat line (btw Turkey featured Okur and Turkoglu)

18 points on 7 of 14 shooting and 4 of 4 from the line
5 rebounds

This was one of Tony Parker's weakest games this tournament, scoring just 6 points on 2 of 8.

This game was meaningless. But if Diaw can wake up it is good news for the French team.

Just one note about France. One of their best 5 (maybe the best) is a smallball 5 :
PG Parker (6'2)
SG Diawara (6'6)
SF Kirksay (6'6)
PF Pietrus F. (6'7)
C. Diaw (6'8)
This 5 put a lot of presure on defense and can create a lot of mismatch on offense.
They can't play it for very long stretch but most opponents have problems to adapt.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
France eliminated by Russia. I just caught the last 4 min. Diaw had two huge basket driving in the paint. But he choked at the FT line, along with Parker. Anyway, he looks slimmer and moves smoothier, so I expect he will play huge for the Suns in the coming season.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Did any1 see the whole game and could tell how AK played? Is he worth dumping Marion for?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
been trying to find some clips and have failed thus far. I was planning on stayin up (I work nights sleep afternoons) to watch it but forgot

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Did any1 see the whole game and could tell how AK played? Is he worth dumping Marion for?
Kirilenko was kirilenkesque : his shoots didn't fall down so he played point forward (he made some excellent post entry passes) and concentrated himself on D.

He fouled out in the 4th quarter but finished with 6pts 6rbds 3asts 4blks 7stls.

As usual we collapsed on FT, finishing with an atrocious 9/20. Too bad that Parker faded away precisely when Boris started to play better (17pts 6rbds 2asts yesterday).

But I didn't have too much expectations since the team has been outcoached for the whole tournament and looked really unprepared and mentally weak. And the fact that Diaw didn't play much with the team before it started didn't help for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05