NFL | League to shut down NFL Europa

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ya' think that losing money like water running through a spigot without a valve had anything to do with it?

a. yes
b. no
c. i don't know
d. all of above

And it was losing money why?

a. Because no one was watching.
b. Because no one was watching.
c. All of the above.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it was losing money why?

a. Because no one was watching.
b. Because no one was watching.
c. All of the above.

Nobody was watches minor league teams from any sport for the most part. Minor or developmental leagues are fully supported by their major teams. That's one thing that Baseball actually does right.

I would love to see every team to have minor league type team that they could use to develop players. It won't happen but I would love to see it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nobody was watches minor league teams from any sport for the most part.

On TV no, but minor league baseball does real well in live attendance in a lot of cities.

I would love to see every team to have minor league type team that they could use to develop players. It won't happen but I would love to see it.

Me too. I always try to keep up with what's going on with Memphis, the St.Louis Cardinals farm club.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
On TV no, but minor league baseball does real well in live attendance in a lot of cities.

Me too. I always try to keep up with what's going on with Memphis, the St.Louis Cardinals farm club.

Minor league games are a whole nother experience. They are so goofy and their promotions rule. Nothing like guys who don't take themselves too seriously and who want to give the fans a good show

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I knew that all the Cardinal players allocated were on one of the NFLE teams, I'd have made sure to follow that team throughout the NFLE season. (Even a cave man could TIVO it in advance).

But, even though I jot down at the beginning of each season which Cardinal players were with what team, I'd forget - all the German teams (Rein, Frankfort, Hamburg, Hot Dog etc.) tended to blur in my mind and I'd forget which was which. For example, as of this moment, I have no idea who Greg Lee played for (if he wound up playing at all).

I'd guess the main reason why a minor league setup would be tough to execute would be the injury bugaboo characteristic of a collision sport like football.

It might be interesting to replace the rookie minicamps with a month's worth of 4 minor league rookie games; but my sense is that most coaches would prefer to use these minicamps to indoctrinate their rookies into their team's nomenclature, system and culture.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I'd guess the main reason why a minor league setup would be tough to execute would be the injury bugaboo characteristic of a collision sport like football.

It might be interesting to replace the rookie minicamps with a month's worth of 4 minor league rookie games; but my sense is that most coaches would prefer to use these minicamps to indoctrinate their rookies into their team's nomenclature, system and culture.

Those are my thoughts exactly on why a minor league for the NFL would not work. And you cant have 2 teams run the same minor league team either as each team would want there own players starting and their own styles and techniques to be taught.

So if minor league cannot work, then another system or re-written rules have to be worked out.

I think the only thing you can do is raise the amount of players you can take to camp from 80 to 85 and raise the amount of practice squad players from 8 to 10. Also a change to the PS rule of teams being able to take your PS players if they put them on their 53 man roster. A player can only be on the PS for a total of 2 years. The rule of teams taking a PS player from you should change to - If a player is on the PS for his first year he cannot be taken away by another team, but if he is on the PS for his 2nd year he can be taken away by another team. This gives teams another year to work with developmental prospects but at the same time it forces teams to not keep a player from making the bigs if he can. That last rule may be to unfair for players not sure though.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no NFL Jupiter Moon or NFL Development Minor League. Josh McCown will have look to the Arena League in 2008.

:)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
That's too bad. I used to watch this league a lot, but right now it's mostly just been the AFL as my 2nd league to follow. It has 2nd tier talent, but the game is different so it's still fun to watch. Europe seems to really like the league though. From what I remember a few years ago there were a good amount of fans in the seats every game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Definitely. That's why 2 liters of beer cost me 12 euros (oy-ros) at Heinerfest last night not counting the pfand (deposit) on the glasses (which I kept instead).

Europe is no longer cheap because of the EU. It's really too bad, Germans are starting to really like football. My city, Darmstadt, has a local team that is mainly made up of local nationals...

in your opinion do you think a team made up of the asfn yahoos could beat that darmstadt squad? i'm curious as to the level of play and sophistication.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watch the CFL and answer the question: What ever happened to xxxx xxxxx who was with the Cards in 200x? :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05