NFL | League to shut down NFL Europa

AzWins23

Reaction score
NFL | League to shut down NFL Europa
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:46:15 -0700

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the NFL is expected to cease operations of NFL Europa after 17 years because of increasing costs associated with running the league, according to two league sources. Commissioner Roger Goodell flew to Germany to meet with NFL Europa officials only days after the league's championship game. It is expected the league will take a $32 million loss for this season.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
That sucks..I have always liked watching NFLE...it makes the long NFL offseason a little more bearable...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

If Cuban & Co. really wants to come up with an alterative league, he now may have the players to do so.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I dont get why the NFL doesnt field a 16 team minor league that plays 8 games in the spring -- each team would be "sponsored" by two NFL teams who would allocate four to six players a piece, with the remainder made up of guys looking for a shot.

The schedule would wrap up in mid -May so players could have 6 weeks off prior to NFL training camps.

Teams could be placed in "B" league cities like Tucson, Albuquerque and the like --

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting.

If Cuban & Co. really wants to come up with an alterative league, he now may have the players to do so.

Unless he can compete for REAL NFL talent, there's no way another league is successful. NFL Europe stinks, the XFL stunk, and we haven't had a competitive 2nd league since the USFL, and I'm too young to remember much about that league.

Only that that league actually had some NFL - caliber players in it. That probably was why it was successful for a time.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont get why the NFL doesnt field a 16 team minor league that plays 8 games in the spring -- each team would be "sponsored" by two NFL teams who would allocate four to six players a piece, with the remainder made up of guys looking for a shot.

The schedule would wrap up in mid -May so players could have 6 weeks off prior to NFL training camps.

Teams could be placed in "B" league cities like Tucson, Albuquerque and the like --

Bingo. It makes too much sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But where will teams find the next Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, and to a (much, much, much) lesser extent, the next Shane Boyd?

Good riddance to hot garbage. NFL Europa stunk.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Unless he can compete for REAL NFL talent, there's no way another league is successful. NFL Europe stinks, the XFL stunk, and we haven't had a competitive 2nd league since the USFL, and I'm too young to remember much about that league.

Only that that league actually had some NFL - caliber players in it. That probably was why it was successful for a time.

I hate agreeing with metalheads....:D

With all the NFL Replays and NFL CLassics etc...on NFL Network, this doesn't really surprise me. I watched NFL Europa sparingly thru the years. In all reality, I think they should spend that money on the retired players that haven't recieved the benefits that current players do now, just my opinion

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Come on, NFL Europe is a flop. Who really watches it? It's relegated to the NFL Channel because they own the league.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I like that idea except I'd have it going on during the NFL season. That way, just like in baseball, when one of your guys got hurt, or sucked, you could call up a guy from the minors.

:D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Give that money spent in Europe to the old timers who built this league...they deserve it!!!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think they blew it by removing the NFL team that each player was associated with from the jersey. Minor thing yes, but it at least gave the casual fan like myself a reason to watch, if only to see which player belonged to which team, and if they may have a shot at making a roster. I mean would any of us have gave a damn if we didn't know Roger Robinson was allocated by the Cards?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think they blew it by removing the NFL team that each player was associated with from the jersey. Minor thing yes, but it at least gave the casual fan like myself a reason to watch, if only to see which player belonged to which team, and if they may have a shot at making a roster. I mean would any of us have gave a damn if we didn't know Roger Robinson was allocated by the Cards?

I think there was just too much action. Didn't give the fans enough time to riot.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I wonder if the NFLPA and the League are going to come up with a new rule for next year concerning the amount of players each team can have in training camp. right now you can only bring in 80 but you can bring in more then that becuase of the NFLE exceptions. Wonder if they will raise the player max to 83 or 85 for next season or something.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

I didn't think about it before but you're right. I did the exact same thing. I didn't watch it at all after noticing there was no NFL team logo for allocated players, it was more of a subconscious thing too

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Rising costs = dollar against the euro

Definitely. That's why 2 liters of beer cost me 12 euros (oy-ros) at Heinerfest last night not counting the pfand (deposit) on the glasses (which I kept instead).

Europe is no longer cheap because of the EU. It's really too bad, Germans are starting to really like football. My city, Darmstadt, has a local team that is mainly made up of local nationals...

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on, NFL Europe is a flop. Who really watches it? It's relegated to the NFL Channel because they own the league.

Ya' think that losing money like water running through a spigot without a valve had anything to do with it?

a. yes
b. no
c. i don't know
d. all of above

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
NFL Europe sucked. It was too fluid as far as players, so fans coundn't cheer for any particular players, make that bond.

I do think, and I am probably the only person to say it outloud, but I think the XFL could have worked if they gave it three years to grow. That first year they didn't have a long enough preseason- the last few games were enjoyable to watch once the players and coaches understood the rules and the players started to gel. They had players who stood out due to their goofy nicknames, and they did have some NFL/CFL worthy talent: Kevin Kaesviharn, Tommy Maddox, Jose Cortez, Corey Ivy, Mike Furrey and Rod Smart
In the CFL: Kelvin Anderson, John Avery, Duane Butler, Jeremaine Copeland, Marcus Crandell, Reggie Durden, Eric England, Paul McCallum, Yo Murphy, Noel Prefontaine and Bobby Singh.

To get back to the point, I won't miss NFL Europa. I'd rather watch the AFL.