NFL Network Senior Bowl practices-D'Brickashaw Fergesun and Jay Cutler impressions.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just saw 30 minutes of the Senior Bowl practice yesterday on NFL Network and came away with a few conclusions: Jay Cutler has a cannon and D'Brickashaw Fergesun is an awesome specimen who dominated whoever he was going against (including the Kiwanku dude from Boston College).

Thats all for now. Hopefully will get to watch some more tonight.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN CUTLER AND FURGUSON PLAY BLAH BLAH BLAH

(sorry, just beating the idiots to the punch)

A-Bomb

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
There is a lot of great DL prospects this year at the senior bowl especially speed rushers. Which makes for a great test for all of the highly touted OT and OG prospects that are at the Senior Bowl. Scouts should be able to get a great idea about these OT's and DL's because of it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ferguson flat-out owned the BC defensive end. Other offensive linemen who really impressed me were Mangold and Jean-Gilles.

As for Cutler - It's important to have a gun for an arm, but many other things go into a great NFL quarterback (like quick reflexes, sound mechanics, toughness, mobility, great field vision, good judgment, decisiveness etc.) Usually, all these factors combine to provide what some folks describe as "it." Maybe he'll show it in the game, but so far Cutler hasn't shown, at least to me, that he has "it" - in the same way Roethlisburger, Leftwich, McNabb or Elway did when they were draft prospects.

Other guys who've impressed - the CB from Clemson (Hill), Gabe Watson (who, while he has a reputation for disappearing from some games, looks like a flat-out beast when he wants it. I'd pay money to see an extended repeat of Watson vs. Mangold), Greenwood, McNeil and a few other LB's in coverage and I want to see more of the NT from Stanford.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Who has Impressed me the most.

Ferguson - The guys technique, footwork, hands are just flawless. Who cares if he is under 300 LBs with those attributes on hand.

McNeil - He is finally showing he can man handle guys, when during the season he seemed to be finessing them instead.

Mangold - Dude is just a firey beast in the middle.

Greenway - For a 6-3 245 lb LBer he sure is fast and looks awesome in coverage. Perfect canidate for WLB and maybe even MLB, he sheds blockers off pretty well.

Watson - Not a pass rusher but knows how to push the pocket and hold his ground, and at 340+ lbs. he doesnt look fat. Just keep a motivational coach on him all the time and he could be something, maybe Docketts, Berry, and Okeafer's fired up attitudes would rub off on him.

None of the QB's impressed at all, same goes for the RB's.

The TE group looks very, very solid, both blocking and catching.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I liked watching the matchup of Max Jean Gilles against Gabe Watson. That one made me tingle.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
abomb said:
OMG HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN CUTLER AND FURGUSON PLAY BLAH BLAH BLAH

(sorry, just beating the idiots to the punch)

A-Bomb

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are calling us idiots. Sorry some of us like to see a player play before our team throws a lot of money at some one. What a joke

anyway

1.Jay Cutler did look good from what i have seen of him, Did not see enough of him.
2.Croyle looks very good to me, not a great arm but can throw into tight spots. Great decision making. Good feet. his release may need some work but besides that he looks very good
3.Ferguson is a beast........enough said
4.Sonorice Moss(i think thats it) is a burner. I would love to have this guy on the cards but not as early as he will go. Would make a great PR

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardsFan222 said:
2.Croyle looks very good to me, not a great arm but can throw into tight spots. Great decision making. Good feet. his release may need some work but besides that he looks very good

Is that how he is coming off in these practices?? I thought Croyle had a howitzer strapped to his shoulder. If he's not throwing that hard is he injured again??

I thought I remember seeing Croyle throw the ball 80 yards through the air last year. Might be my imagination. Might have been to Prothro in the Florida game??

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
from what i've seen of the practices it looks like croyle has an absolute cannon with a very powerful release

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is from scouts

Arm Strength B Doesn't have a big strong body but can make just about any NFL throw.

Escape Ability C Not a top athlete but can pick up moderate yardage once a play breaks down.
Quick Set Up B Gets back quickly and does not have any major issues in this category.
Accuracy Long B Has enough arm to throw deep, but not a cannon to fit the ball in tight spots down the field.
Accuracy Short B Accurate in the short and intermediate areas. Gets balls to receivers quickly.
Locate 2nd Receiver C Has good feel for the passing game. Understands where secondary options are on the field.
Running Ability C Will not make people miss and is not very quick. Understands when to tuck it and run.
Quickness Of Delivery B Snaps the ball off quickly and has a fine release. Holds the ball too low in the pocket.
Judgement B Doesn't try to make things out of nothing and plays an intelligent brand of football.
Poise B Showed poise this week by improving each practice in his home state under a microscope.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
Croyle has a good arm but not a cannon IMO. Kiper said it all depends on his physical at the combine. Kiper thinks he is a for sure 2nd round pick. I agree

I hope the cards take a good look at this kid

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll pass on Croyle. He's not the biggest guy in the world, and with surgically repaired knees who in the world knows if he'd be able to save himself from big hits.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Bayless said today that houston will take Vince young and NO will take Cutler 2nd. he thinks Leinart could fall to 5 because the Jets don't want him and teams know that and won't move up. Tennessee would probably take Bush 3rd leaving the Jets with Leinart who they don't want.

He said Cutler has shown at the Senior Bowl he has the best arm in the draft.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
How could a player be labeled "dominating" the Senior Bowl when it is practice and two hand touch.

How someone will play on Sunday is all that matters.

The Cardinals have had their unfair share overhyped players including Wadsworth and L. Davis. Both where both labeled as the best to come out of college at their positions in years...

Blah...blah...blah.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI Bayless said today that houston will take Vince young and NO will take Cutler 2nd. he thinks Leinart could fall to 5 because the Jets don't want him and teams know that and won't move up. Tennessee would probably take Bush 3rd leaving the Jets with Leinart who they don't want.

Leinart has to be kicking himself for ot coming out last year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not ready to say lets draft Cutler, but the thing I was most impressed with was how quick his release is. He makes McCown look like he's throwing in slow motion.
It was mentioned that Cutler faced a lot of pressure in college. Hell, he'd feel right at home here!

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Russ,

If Leinart falls to 5, GB will pass and he'll go to Oakland at #6. If Oakland passes on him, next up is Detroit at #9.....at which point, I would consider trading up from 10 to get him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

If Leinart falls to 5, GB will pass and he'll go to Oakland at #6. If Oakland passes on him, next up is Detroit at #9.....at which point, I would consider trading up from 10 to get him.

I assume Skip figured that Green bay would trade, but there was a rumor earlier this year that if Green bay got the higher pick, they might take Leinart, that they were apparently suggesting they had no fear of having 2 young QB's compete for the QBOF job, and then trading the loser for multiple picks.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

If the above is true then wont David Carr be likely to be let go? Do we pick him up to backup/replace Warner? Could this explain a little on why the Warner deal seems to be taken a little bit because the Cards believe they could end up with Carr and don't want to overpay for Warner if this is true?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
If the above is true then wont David Carr be likely to be let go? Do we pick him up to backup/replace Warner? Could this explain a little on why the Warner deal seems to be taken a little bit because the Cards believe they could end up with Carr and don't want to overpay for Warner if this is true?

I doubt Carr would just be "let go". I believe he just (or is about to) receive a huge roster bonus.
That being said , it would be fine with me if somehow we were to obtain David Carr. Him and Neil Lomax have something in common. They both were sacked about 120 times in a 2 year period. ANY qb needs time. If they don't get it they become very ordinary at best.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I doubt Carr would just be "let go". I believe he just (or is about to) receive a huge roster bonus.
Actually, if he is indeed about to be due a huge roster bonus, if the Texans aren't convinced he's their guy for the next 5-8 years then he might be released. Why pay the money for a guy that isn't your appearent answer?

I like Carr. I think the Texans do, too.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Actually, if he is indeed about to be due a huge roster bonus, if the Texans aren't convinced he's their guy for the next 5-8 years then he might be released. Why pay the money for a guy that isn't your appearent answer?

I like Carr. I think the Texans do, too.

I may be wrong, but I think he may have already received that bonus. If he hasn't I know for sure I heard the Texans were going to keep him, all which means Bush is probably going to Texas or they will trade down.

Tashunca

Registered
Reaction score
clif said:
this is from scouts

Arm Strength B Doesn't have a big strong body but can make just about any NFL throw.

Escape Ability C Not a top athlete but can pick up moderate yardage once a play breaks down.
Quick Set Up B Gets back quickly and does not have any major issues in this category.
Accuracy Long B Has enough arm to throw deep, but not a cannon to fit the ball in tight spots down the field.
Accuracy Short B Accurate in the short and intermediate areas. Gets balls to receivers quickly.
Locate 2nd Receiver C Has good feel for the passing game. Understands where secondary options are on the field.
Running Ability C Will not make people miss and is not very quick. Understands when to tuck it and run.
Quickness Of Delivery B Snaps the ball off quickly and has a fine release. Holds the ball too low in the pocket.
Judgement B Doesn't try to make things out of nothing and plays an intelligent brand of football.
Poise B Showed poise this week by improving each practice in his home state under a microscope.
What does Scout have to say about Gradkowski? I know that he brings a LEADERSHIP quality to the occasion.