NFL shafts fans with 49ers-Cardinals Sunday nighter

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
The Rant

NFL shafts fans with 49ers-Cardinals Sunday nighter

Posted: Thursday September 29, 2005 11:50AM; Updated: Thursday September 29, 2005 4:55PM

It's Sunday night. We've just finished dinner after already watching almost seven hours of NFL action on the Ticket, not to mention a few hours of Yankees-Red Sox. The pre-Monday depression has set in because we know it's almost time to go back to the office -- not that I don't love coming to work at SI.com every day.

You must be registered for see images

Will you spend your Sunday night with Josh McCown or Eva Longoria?

So what do we want now? What do we need now? What's the best way to finish off the weekend? To kick back and enjoy ESPN's Sunday Night Football game (as much as it can be enjoyed with Joe Theisman giving analysis). Uh oh. 49ers-Cardinals in Mexico City? What? Are you serious?

How could the NFL give us this matchup in prime time? Who thought this would be an interesting game? Who felt that the country had to see this contest? What a joke. The team's combined record in 2004 was 8-24. Nobody expected San Fran to do anything this season, and, let's be honest, the Cardinals are the Cardinals. Nobody wants to watch them play.

I guess commissioner Paul Tagliabue figured that if he made these clubs travel to Mexico City, the game needed to be seen by a national audience. Wrong.

No matter where they play this game, it's still the 49ers vs. the Cardinals. Sure, some of us, um, I mean, some of you who like to throw down a wager now and then will tune in. And if your fantasy team needs a big effort from Larry Fitzgerald, you'll watch the game. But for the rest of the free world, making this putrid battle the Sunday night game is cruel and usual punishment.

The guess here is that on Sunday night most of us will be more interested in finding out who's trapped in Alfre Woodard's basement and if Larry David is really adopted.

spanky1

Reaction score
I guess this guy will not be watching.....he'll be a bear by the time he has to go to work on Monday, without his fix of Sunday night football.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see at least one lame ass game every sunday, u dont see me crying

ps, redskins vs cowboys is such game of the week material, no wonder he didnt complain that monday night :rolleyes:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
You must be registered for see images

Will you spend your Sunday night with Josh McCown or Eva Longoria?

If you look where the defender tackling Josh has his hands, I think I know how he would answer this question.

The Shark

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I've wasted many Monday nights watching garbage. This could actually be a very good game.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel for those who aren't Cards or Niners fans. It's not going to be particularly good football.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I feel for those who aren't Cards or Niners fans. It's not going to be particularly good football.

Depends on what you're looking for.

A competitive game- 90% probability
A Cards blowout- 25% and only we will enjoy that.
A whiner blowout- 75% and most of those will be watching just because they think it should happen.

This is actually a chance to show people who we are. It could go either way but I've lived through SB's that were givens.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
At least the last time they were on prime time vs. the whiners, Aneas smaked the hell out of Steve Young...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primetime, baby! Goes the large red one! w00t w00t!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The last two games where played in over time and where entertaining (even though we lost). The Cardinals and 9er's aren't good or high profile teams, but I'm willing to bet the game will be competitive and have some energy.

ESPN shows plenty of crappy games. The Dophins vs the Browns was just plain awful to watch last year. It was so bad that the commentators actually started to joke about how boring the game was and there was simply nothing to comment about. I have seen plenty of games between 'good' teams that sucked too.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many crappy Sunday and Monday night games have we seen over the past fews years? Yeah, it sucks for non-Cards fans, but get over it.

BTW, did anyone see the field in Mexico yet? Why do the 49ers get their logo in one of the endzones if it's supposed to be OUR home game?

This is a really dumb idea all around.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
A competitive game- 90% probability
Competitive game doesn't necessarilly = good football.

I think it'll be fairly close, but there's going to be a HUGE difference between the quality of play in this game than say, last week's Steelers/Patriots game.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hope you kill the 49ers this weekend and I think you will. Keep your chins up because come Sunday, your going to have a win!

Arizona 24

49ers 12

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05