NFP: Keys to Cards avoiding Super Bowl curse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

By Michael Lombardi, National Football Post 4 hours, 4 minutes ago

Quote: “In the face of adversity and personal pain, we continue to strive to achieve our ideals … to provide comfort and hope to those we care about … by converting our collective hopes, dreams and aspirations into reality.”
– Boris M. Struk

I wrote several weeks ago about the trials and tribulations that awaited the Super Bowl loser Arizona Cardinals this whole offseason. I focused on the “Disease of Me” from Pat Riley, the former NBA coach. Riley explains that winning is harder to deal with from a team standpoint than losing. Everyone in the organization wants the credit, wants new contracts, wants to feel loved, and they have, in essence, over-evaluated their true net worth. Losing the Super Bowl is one of the hardest challenges for any leader because you must deal with the same problems as the champions, but you don’t have the ring or the trophy.

Some of those problems are off the field, but many of them are on the gridiron. It’s my belief that a football team breaks down in three areas: players, coaching and schemes. So if the Cards are to compete once again for the NFC West title, they must be solid in all three. Despite the recent proclamation by Darnell Dockett(notes), words will not win the NFC West; quality in all three areas of football will.

Here’s my checklist to avoiding the “Super Bowl Losers Curse”:

(Side note: Since I was part of a team that lost a Super Bowl, then responded the next year with an astounding 12 losses, the Cards might want to consider my advice cautiously).

Coaching checklist

1. Fire the defensive coordinator (Clancy Pendergast) who could never settle on a scheme he liked and changed everything each week. Check.

2. Get the head coach more involved with the offense. Ken Whisenhunt is a very good offensive coach; in fact, he’s the head coach of the Cardinals because of this ability to call a game. Losing offensive coordinator Todd Haley will not be difficult to overcome as long as Whisenhunt assumes a larger role. This will help the team adopt more of the head coach’s personality, which it will need to be successful.

3. Don’t talk about getting back to the Super Bowl. Focus only on winning the division. Spend all of camp thinking about Seattle, San Francisco and St. Louis. You must win the NFC West first. San Francisco is the opener, so this should be easy to do.

4. Adhere to the S.M.A.R.T. acronym with regard to setting goals for the team: specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, timely. The most important goal is to have a good practice the next day – not beat the Giants in Week 7. Timely goals are critical.

5. Change the depth chart constantly. Make players feel they have to earn the right to play, not expect to play. Promote competition. Always remember, “Fear does the work of reason.”

6. Expect to deal with unhappy players – embrace conflict. Never lose sight of what is truly urgent and important. A player missing OTAs is not urgent. It might be important, but it does not warrant attention.

Player checklist

1. Replace left tackle Mike Gandy(notes). I admire Gandy; he’s been a very good player for eight NFL seasons (almost every doctor in the NFL failed him on his physical because of knee and shoulder problems, although he keeps playing), but he was never meant to play left tackle. He has always been a fill-in and has filled in decently at left tackle (I give my man Bobby “Babe” DePaul of the Bears credit for thinking he could be a left tackle). Gandy cost them in big games, especially the Super Bowl. They must improve here.

2. Get a tight end who can block for all the one-back sets in both the run and pass games. Check (signed Anthony Becht(notes)).

3. Find a big-time runner. Check (drafted my man Chris “Beanie” Wells, who will be huge this year).

4. Give some love to Anquan Boldin(notes), but if he doesn’t give it back (I’m not talking about a new contract, I’m talking about a relationship on the field), apply the “Law of Threes” to him. Using it on anyone who wants to be different will be the key to success for the Cardinals.

5. Put pressure on Alan Branch(notes), Gabe Watson(notes) and Calais Campbell(notes) to become players now. If they don’t respond soon, think about signing Kevin Carter(notes) to add depth to the defensive line.

6. Pray that Kurt Warner(notes) doesn’t get hurt. Limit his time in preseason games. I don’t like the idea of turning this team over to Matt Leinart(notes).

7. If anyone has matching luggage on road trips, start worrying about their commitment to winning because they’ve gone Hollywood. I have a pet peeve when it comes to players with matching luggage. NFP’s Matt Bowen(notes) never had matching luggage – he just brought his toothbrush and a change of clothes; he understood it was a business trip. If Branch, Watson or Campbell have matching luggage, cut them on the spot because you’re wasting your time thinking they will be players.

Scheme checklist

1. Cut down the amount of schemes you run on defense and have a scheme that you know can stand the test of time. Work on improving the fundamentals and techniques of the players; don’t add more plays. Don’t forget, you gave up the fifth most points (26.6 per game) last season.

2. Work on areas of strength on both sides of the ball. Practice longer on your red zone schemes – on offense and defense. Don’t practice longer or with more contact; practice smarter. The strong points of your team must stay strong.

3. Expect people to prepare for your offense with new ideas about slowing down your attack. Have new wrinkles, new ideas, but never lose the core of what you are as an offense.

4. Expect more people (college coaches, media, friends) at your training camp. Expect more attention from the national media. Be careful not to let other coaches observe your schemes. Trust no one.

5. Don’t be afraid to make unpopular choices. Status quo only promotes the same, and the whole theme of the offseason is to move forward.

6. Work one day at a time, and never think of the future. Keep bad practices in the context of the day, time and place. Never forget that the NFL season is a marathon, not a sprint.
That’s my “Super Bowl Curse” checklist. I hope the Cards don’t suffer my pain of 12 losses.

The National Football Post is a unique and premier online source of quality and credible news, information and insight about all sides of football featuring professionals with experience in all facets of the NFL. Check out NFP’s 2009 Fantasy Football Front Office with everything you need to manage your team this fantasy season including the NFP Draft Guide, NFP Total Access Pass and Fantasy Football Leagues.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Good one...

We don't have anyone to replace Gandy with.

Agree with putting pressure on Watson and Campbell to produce. We are hosed if they don't.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The Cards have been cursed so long that the Super Bowl curse is nonexistent.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree with AZ Native 100%, hell has already frozed over since us getting to the Superbowl and it is still froze over which should allow us to skate into the playoff from all places...the hot lands of Arizona. We are the Cardinals...this is one curse which will not affect us one bit :)

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Great advice in that article from someone who's gone through it! Especially the media and coaches stealing schemes, etc...had'nt thought of that one.Whizz had I'll wager!!! In Whizz I trust!

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Like lauraw, I think Coach Whiz will keep things in perspective. And I truely like the advice of 3. Don’t talk about getting back to the Super Bowl. Focus only on winning the division. Spend all of camp thinking about Seattle, San Francisco and St. Louis. You must win the NFC West first.

Some on the board think that if we don't make it back or win the Super Bowl the season will not have been successful. As hard as it is to win in the NFL, winning your division is must and all focus should be on that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the coaches would like to replace Mike Gandy. And if they don't it's probably because Vallejo or Keith aren't better. Also, remember that while he struggled in the SB, he was SUPER in the first playoff game against Atlanta, holding John Abraham to zero sacks and one tackle. JMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I disagree with a lot of what he says. Watson and Campbell have already been playing well. We have imo the best #2 QB in the NFL in Leinart. Gandy wasn't playing pass defense in the Super Bowl.

The Cards have two very important things to do to avoid the SB loser curse.

One getting the running game on track with Wells and Hightower and Two improving their secondary coverage and tackling. McFadden is a key acquisition to improve the tackling. Finding a way to improve Wilson's coverage skills is a key to improving our pass defense. Adrian is a beast in run support. He's below average in pass coverage.

SD Chargers

Reaction score
I'm sorry but Leinart isn't the best #2 QB in the NFL. Does he have potential? Yes, but I don't think he has the desire to thrive in the NFL. He reminds me a lot like Ryan Leaf, great talent just lack of motivation. As far as the rest of what you said Duck, it all seems true. The cards have a legit shot at being in the super bowl next year, especially since they're in the worst division in the NFC. The only question i have about the cards is how will they adress the issues they have at special teams?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
IMO, improvement on special teams is one of the keys to the season which hardly anyone is talking about. The coverage units were addressed in the offseason, and hopefully that is THE one area that dramatically improves, especially if Ali Highsmith can come back at full speed.

Avoiding major injuries again this season is another of the keys IMO. If the offensive line can suit up for 16 consecutive games again, and the key offensive skill players like Kurt, Larry, and Q can all stay healthy, I like this team's chances.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Leinart isn't the best #2 QB in the NFL. Does he have potential? Yes, but I don't think he has the desire to thrive in the NFL. He reminds me a lot like Ryan Leaf, great talent just lack of motivation.

I actually agree that he might not be the best #2 in the league. But everything you said beyond that is utter crap.

You are playing arm chair psychologist and really know nothing about the player and what he is about. That is apparent by your opinion.

Actually I take that back. Thats not your opinion. Thats just one you are regurgitating that you heard from some talking head and thought it sounded good so made it your own. Comparing a guy like Matt (who since the overplayed internet pics incident has been as professional as anyone on the team) to Ryan Leaf is ludicrious.

Stick to Tomlinson and Merriman Charger fan. Your out of your element talking Cardinals. :thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OK which #2 QBs are better than Leinart?

Jeff Garcia? He's 39.
Todd Collins? He's 37.

Now which of these guys would you rather have than Leinart backing up Warner?

Charlie Batch?
Tavaris Jackson?
Tyler Thigpen?
Rex Grossman?

No thanks.

If Farve doesn't unretire Sage Rosenfels will probably start in Minny. Even if he doesn't it is his first year with the Vikings. Jon Kitna is also with a new team.

Derek Anderson might be as good a backup as Leinart but he might be the starter in Cleveland.

In Leinart we have a guy who has started 16 games for us, is only 26, and is going into his 3rd season working with Whiz and Warner and has classic NFL QB size and is a pocket passer. None of the other guys I listed can match that combination.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with a lot of what he says. Watson and Campbell have already been playing well. We have imo the best #2 QB in the NFL in Leinart. Gandy wasn't playing pass defense in the Super Bowl.

The Cards have two very important things to do to avoid the SB loser curse.

One getting the running game on track with Wells and Hightower and Two improving their secondary coverage and tackling. McFadden is a key acquisition to improve the tackling. Finding a way to improve Wilson's coverage skills is a key to improving our pass defense. Adrian is a beast in run support. He's below average in pass coverage.

I'm with you. I'd also say that they need to replace the right side of the line and Levi before Gandy.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Leinart isn't the best #2 QB in the NFL. Does he have potential? Yes, but I don't think he has the desire to thrive in the NFL. He reminds me a lot like Ryan Leaf, great talent just lack of motivation. As far as the rest of what you said Duck, it all seems true. The cards have a legit shot at being in the super bowl next year, especially since they're in the worst division in the NFC. The only question i have about the cards is how will they adress the issues they have at special teams?
This is a very uniformed opinion. Are you seriously comparing ML to Ryan Leaf? LOL! You have lost all crediblity before you've even established it.

Leinart does have the motivation and there are only two QBs in the entrie NFL whom had a season as good as Kurt Warner last year. Warner took us to the SuperBowl, so you cant say Leinart sucks because he lost out to a QB that played all world last season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
OK which #2 QBs are better than Leinart?

Jeff Garcia? He's 39.
Todd Collins? He's 37.

Now which of these guys would you rather have than Leinart backing up Warner?

Charlie Batch?
Tavaris Jackson?
Tyler Thigpen?
Rex Grossman?

No thanks.

If Farve doesn't unretire Sage Rosenfels will probably start in Minny. Even if he doesn't it is his first year with the Vikings. Jon Kitna is also with a new team.

Derek Anderson might be as good a backup as Leinart but he might be the starter in Cleveland.

In Leinart we have a guy who has started 16 games for us, is only 26, and is going into his 3rd season working with Whiz and Warner and has classic NFL QB size and is a pocket passer. None of the other guys I listed can match that combination.

Sold:D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
IMO, improvement on special teams is one of the keys to the season which hardly anyone is talking about. The coverage units were addressed in the offseason, and hopefully that is THE one area that dramatically improves, especially if Ali Highsmith can come back at full speed.

Been saying this for the last 3 years. The last two years combine, the two years under Kevin Spencer’s tutelage as special teams coach we have had the worst punt and kickoff coverage units in the NFL. Plus a nothing special return game as well, and if he didn’t have Rackers awesome short kicking game on kickoffs and long range kicking game on kickoffs our specials teams would have nothing. All this even though we have the current pro bowl special teamer in Morey. Kevin Spencers units have been far worse then Pendy, but Pendy is the one who lost his job. Not saying Pendy shouldn’t have lost his job but wouldn’t you think a coach who did an even worse job then Pendy would be cut as well. Screams cronyism to, without a doubt. Kevin Spencers special teams units isn’t doing our D any favors and horrible field position is the second biggest problem for our D to overcome, right behind pass rush.

Also I am not so sure we have addressed the coverage unit. We have been so called addressing it since Wiz got here with Spencer, going on 3 years now. How many years and pieces does Spencer need?

End of Rant.

:beer:

SD Chargers

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you this I think everyone is blowing my comparrison of Leinart and Leaf way out of proportion. Let me just say I don't think Leinart has the desire because you've seen him play. He had two chances to solidify his spot at number one and he blew it. Maybe sitting on the bench this last year and the upcoming year or two will change him. But i haven't seen a true franchise caliber qb out of him. Oh and I can name a couple #2 qbs that are better than Leinart.

1. Byron Leftwich
2. J.P. Losman
3. Chriss Simms or Kyle Orton (whoever starts)
4. Billy Volek

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you this I think everyone is blowing my comparrison of Leinart and Leaf way out of proportion. Let me just say I don't think Leinart has the desire because you've seen him play. He had two chances to solidify his spot at number one and he blew it. Maybe sitting on the bench this last year and the upcoming year or two will change him. But i haven't seen a true franchise caliber qb out of him. Oh and I can name a couple #2 qbs that are better than Leinart.

1. Byron Leftwich
2. J.P. Losman
4. Billy Volek

lmao. no.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

1. Byron Leftwich
2. J.P. Losman
4. Billy Volek

Blowing my comparison of Leaf and Leinart out of the water? LMAO. You are the ones who used those names. What did you want us to do?

As for your list.

Leftwich - He maybe more accomplished then Matt but he has been in the league alot longer too and no team seems to want him in ANY capacity. Thats because scouts hate him because he is a statue and he takes too long to release the ball. And hes probably going to Start at least in Game 1. So this comparison is off base. I wouldn't trade Matt for Leftwich if you were including Megan Fox in the deal.

JP Losman - Are you drunk?

Chriss Simms - Matt has a spleen. And a better career. And was drafted higher so is a better prospect. Simms is nothing more then a surname.

Billy Volek - Oh boy. I don't think so. He can't beat out Kerry Collins OR Vince Young. He's a #3. LMAO.

You want a better comparison for Matt? How about your boy Phillip Rivers?

That one seemed to turn out okay.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I have been very impressed with Matt for the last year or so. Seems he has seen the light and has matured greatly. We here have read the articles on how Matt has taken his current situation and is growing with it. SD Chargers, like most outside the realm of Cardinal fandom, only have seen all the bad press about him.

I really think if something happens to Kurt this season, Matt will come in surprise a lot of people!

SD Chargers

Reaction score
Wow nice assumption, Leinart is better than Simms stricty because he's drafted higher. What a bunch of bs, look at Tom Brady drafted in the seventh round. If you think a players performance is soley based off their draft satus then you must be on something. Being a better prospect doesn't mean jack, thank god your not a GM, if it were up to you only first rounders would make the team. The fact of the matter is you can find tons of guys in later rounds that have more passion and desire for the game than many first round picks. Since they don't get the big bucks thrown at them before they even take a snap they have to earn their contract. That's why you need a limitation on the amount rookies can make. Why play hard and practice when you have 6 or 7 mil waiting for you at home, it ruins the game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Wow nice assumption, Leinart is better than Simms stricty because he's drafted higher. What a bunch of bs, look at Tom Brady drafted in the seventh round. If you think a players performance is soley based off their draft satus then you must be on something. Being a better prospect doesn't mean jack, thank god your not a GM, if it were up to you only first rounders would make the team. The fact of the matter is you can find tons of guys in later rounds that have more passion and desire for the game than many first round picks. Since they don't get the big bucks thrown at them before they even take a snap they have to earn their contract. That's why you need a limitation on the amount rookies can make. Why play hard and practice when you have 6 or 7 mil waiting for you at home, it ruins the game.

So you took one fragment of one sentence of my post and ranted for ten sentences to make your argument?

Well played sir.

:golfclap: