OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed.

But, the coaching was still the coaching. The decision were still the decisions.

Pick a lane here dog. We talking coaching, or are we talking personell.

I am going to be wrong no matter what if the topic switches every other post.

Wanna talk players ? Sure.

O-Line: Levi Brown, Jeremy Bridges, and Adam Snyder.

Are we seriously looking at these players as saviors to the current situation ? Let's go back to Feb. when all these players were healthy. Am I to assume that since injuries are being used after week 8 of this season, that back in Feb. when this team was healthy, we were supposed to feel good about the offensive line.

RB: Wells, Williams

Both hurt. Yet, in preseason, both expected to be hurt by year's end.

TE: Heap

Yeah, big surprise there.

QB: Kolb, Skelton

Yeah, I know Kolb is your guy and all, but I do not share your opinion that Kolb can get the job done in the NFL. Hey, at least give Skelton some credit, he put up Kolb type numbers against the Niners........but with the usual result. Great stats but a loss.

As for coaching, again, there were problems with play calling, poor offense, and horrific turnovers starting week 1. That hasn't changed. The only changes is our special teams have gotten worse by the week, and our defense is not causing turnovers like they used to.

That is my most humble opinion, and all I have for today. Take it for the opinion it is.
I'm still working on that, haven't finished my morning spresso yet.

I can live with Whiz and Kolb if we had an O-line, I think that's where I stand.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

But, the coaching was still the coaching. The decision were still the decisions.

Pick a lane here dog. We talking coaching, or are we talking personell.

I am going to be wrong no matter what if the topic switches every other post.

Wanna talk players ? Sure.

O-Line: Levi Brown, Jeremy Bridges, and Adam Snyder.

Are we seriously looking at these players as saviors to the current situation ? Let's go back to Feb. when all these players were healthy. Am I to assume that since injuries are being used after week 8 of this season, that back in Feb. when this team was healthy, we were supposed to feel good about the offensive line.

RB: Wells, Williams

Both hurt. Yet, in preseason, both expected to be hurt by year's end.

TE: Heap

Yeah, big surprise there.

QB: Kolb, Skelton

Yeah, I know Kolb is your guy and all, but I do not share your opinion that Kolb can get the job done in the NFL. Hey, at least give Skelton some credit, he put up Kolb type numbers against the Niners........but with the usual result. Great stats but a loss.

As for coaching, again, there were problems with play calling, poor offense, and horrific turnovers starting week 1. That hasn't changed. The only changes is our special teams have gotten worse by the week, and our defense is not causing turnovers like they used to.

That is my most humble opinion, and all I have for today. Take it for the opinion it is.

Brown was really coming on during the second half of the season last year. Especially with regards to run blocking. Hell even in pass blocking he didn't give up as many sacks as are currently being given up. Bridges at least gives you someone with experience on the OL. Losing Bridges meant that we had no other options but to start a rookie and a nobody at tackle.

Snyder was a terrible pick up. Hated it when it went down. Still hate it today.

I've blamed Graves for failing to address the OL over the last 3 years. That is where the true problem lies. The failure to draft any quality OL or bring in any decent FAs on the OL for depth. All of the problems on the Cardinals offense are directly related to the problems on the OL.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have rather gone into the season with Jeremy Bridges as the starter, but that clearly wasn't in this coaching staff's plans. How many games last year did we run out a gimpy Brandon Keith so that we could keep valuable reserve Jeremy Bridges on the sideline.

Batiste had already taken Bridges' job in training camp. It's not our choice who plays on this offensive line.

yeah but at least with a healthy Bridges we would have had a vialble option to go to when it became clear that Batiste was out of his league. Now it's Batiste or bust.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
When you only have 7 yards rushing combined with the worst pass blocking Offensive line in football. I don't see how anyone could argue the Niners weren't 24-3 better.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They have sucked pretty horribly for the last decade and have put themselves into position to pick quite a few low first-round picks. It's finally starting to pay off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Gruden diagramed the 49er's offense made me feel like we are a PeeWee football team.

There were a couple of plays that epitomizes our lack of talent.

One was where a blitzing 49er ran right past TWO o-linemen.

The other one that probably many didn't notice was a pass to Roberts in the left flat. Skelton went back and hit Roberts for a completion. The problem was it should have been a 1 step drop and fire. Skelton took 2 or 3 steps and by the time Roberts got the ball the DB was on him like flies on...well you know.

Now, was that play design, lack of execution or both.

The 49er's are a superior team in all phases of the game. The only reason we were able to move the ball in the end was because of the score and situation.

And for the record, the score should have been worse.

That was Skelton it was a hot read on the blitz. as the announcer said Skelton threw where the blitz came from, but SF's defense rotated right there and kit Roberts. He actually had time to check and see but he just assumed blitz coming from my left, throw left.

He nearly threw a pick on the second pass of the game doing something just like that. I don't know if he audibled or not but 3rd down they blitzed, he made the hot read and threw the ball directly to Justin Smith, who'd dropped into coverage. Smith was so surprised he didn't even touch the ball, he just couldn't believe Skelton didn't see him I guess.

They were 2-3 steps ahead of us all game.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is what I was getting at before the game. We can run the ball, we can pass the ball, thing is, everybody knows what we are going to do before we do it. "O" was calling the plays from the enzone, when we stuck to the run...it wasn't good because everybody knew we was gonna run. This offense is the epitome of weakness. Outcoached

The score did not reflect just how much better than us they are. They beat us coming and going. My concern is just what are we going to do to change all this. We have so many holes to fill it will be near impossible to fill them. Colorado changed their entire team when they signed Peyton Manning. I expect to see them in the playoffs. Are Jefferson and Wells ever going to be well enough to play in the NFL? I think we all agree Skelton will never be a good starting QB. Can Kolb stay well enough to play an entire season? Larry is getting older each year and is soon going to be on the down hill side. I really do not know what you do other than make all efforts and start with getting a QB from the draft

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
yeah but at least with a healthy Bridges we would have had a vialble option to go to when it became clear that Batiste was out of his league. Now it's Batiste or bust.

That's irrelevant. You can't claim we're missing our two starting Tackles when one of them was benched and being moved to a backup at Guard.

As for the myth that Levi Brown was better the last half of the season in 2011 the Cards maneged to run for over 100 yards only 3 times in the last 8 games.
I don't think having a healthy Brown or Bridges would make much difference.

Brown was the worst LT in football. Bridges was a backup. Colledge was the worst offensive linemen for Green Bay and Snyder was a bum in SF and Sendlein is a 3 on the Rugby Muffin 1-10 scale. And we're supposed to believe the offense would be any better with those clowns?

Lets tell the truth here.

We lost the worst LT in the NFL. A backup offensive lineman. Our backup QB. A RB who trips over his own feet and Ryan Williams. Williams is the biggest deficit. That the Cards brass hasn't seen fit to bring in a guy over 200lbs to play RB and continues to use the 2nd smallest player in the NFL in blitz pickup is ridiculous.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the myth that Levi Brown was better the last half of the season in 2011 the Cards maneged to run for over 100 yards only 3 times in the last 8 games.
I don't think having a healthy Brown or Bridges would make much difference.

Child please!

On top of being solid in the run game that had Wells (bum knee and all) averaging 4.3 yards per carry last year... In the final six games last year Levi Brown gave up only 1 sack and only 8 hurries.

You can have Batiste, I'll take Brown over that any day of the week!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Even if the Cardinals were even with 49ers talent-wise, which clearly is not the case, just the coaching disparity is a 10-14 point difference right there.

Did you see the bit Gruden did on the 49ers formations? As a coach, he knew what a challenge that presents---it really relegates defenses to playing some sort of vanilla defense, because reacting to the formations and matchups in a mere ten seconds is a tremendous challenge and detail soaking distraction.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So we should have started an outcoached thread while we were 4-0?

Got it.

Between injuries and the system...we lost the last 4 games. If we can block on the O-line, we can compete with anybody. I swear, it's like Walmart will sell a keyboard to anybody these days.

This :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Child please!

On top of being solid in the run game that had Wells (bum knee and all) averaging 4.3 yards per carry last year... In the final six games last year Levi Brown gave up only 1 sack and only 8 hurries.

You can have Batiste, I'll take Brown over that any day of the week!

Sorry ma'am but 24th in scoring and 54 sacks, almost one for every 10 pass attempts, and a 4.3 ypc average gained by getting one run for 21 yards and 4 for no gain, and Wells getting 20% of his total yards for the year doing a LeShon Johnson impression, doesn't impress me. Brown and Batiste? You can have 'em both.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When your offense is missing the following starters:

QB
RB1
RB2
LT
LT2
RG
TE

You can't expect much production...

Before the season started and we lost Brown and Bridges we all knew this offesnse was in for an uphill battle. That is why I predicted a 6 win season. Then with all of the additional losses of key players on offense it only got worse.

This is ALL that needs to be said about this post & THIS season. No team in this league can encounter those injuries & still win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky