No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
People are concerned that neither WR will be there at 3 for the Cards.There's now ay two wr's go 1-2 in the draft.I don't care if it's Randy Moss and Jerry Rice coming out.They will not go 1-2.Not with 2 potential franchise QB's and a dominant LT being available. And especially not when there are so many quality WR's in the draft.Like him or not,Roy Williams is every bit as good as those two.The only reason those 2 are top 5 worthy is that there is really no dominating DL in the draft.If the Cards can get a trade down offer they should take it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
People are concerned that neither WR will be there at 3 for the Cards.There's now ay two wr's go 1-2 in the draft.I don't care if it's Randy Moss and Jerry Rice coming out.They will not go 1-2.Not with 2 potential franchise QB's and a dominant LT being available. And especially not when there are so many quality WR's in the draft.Like him or not,Roy Williams is every bit as good as those two.The only reason those 2 are top 5 worthy is that there is really no dominating DL in the draft.If the Cards can get a trade down offer they should take it.

I agree a decent trade down offer should be considered.

But regardless of that I cant believe that anyone even wants a WR at #3.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Originally posted by Shane H

Green wants a WR at 3.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Originally posted by azdad1978
Green wants a WR at 3.

Show me proof of this?

That is pure speculation only because Green has a history with Fitz.

Other than that the reasoning behind that is complete bunk!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan

Good post until the DL point. My guess is three DL go in the top ten picks, with Wilfork being first and Udeze second to go from that category.

Still, Cbus is right about the WRs and QBs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reasoning is logical.

The certainty with which it was stated is not.

There is a "way" - the Smith falls in love with one of the two receivers and Big Al falls in love with the other.

It's not likely to happen, but there's no such thing as "no way" at Draft time. Weird and stupid things happen every year. For example, last year when...oh, never mind!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Show me proof of this?

That is pure speculation only because Green has a history with Fitz.

Other than that the reasoning behind that is complete bunk!

You don't go gushing over him if you are not taking Fitz. If Fitz is there he will take him. And if he is there @ 3rd spot and doesn't take him, I'll buy you a beer in a Cards game if he bypass him.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Not me. I have faith that our other first round pick will continue to develop.

I am starting to jump on the Taylor Bandwagon.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well you have to look at who is drafting at 1 and 2 and what they think of Fitz and M Williams. Yes if there is a trade down at 1 and/or 2 then I agree a WR will probably not get drafted. A QB or maybe the LT gets picked.

But if SD and OAK don't trade down I can see Fitz and M Williams go 1 and 2. I am not saying they will but there are very logical reasons that they very well might:

1. Fitz is the surest thing at WR since Moss. M Williams is better then Fitz of equal in the mind of many professional talent evaluators. These are pretty safe picks bust wise.

2. Neither dude should be in this draft. This is a unique chance to get a young quality WR. That might play a role in making these 2 teams think this is the chance of a lifetime.

3. SD just got rid of Boston. Dyson is not a superstar WR. They need a superstar WR. That is why they brought in Boston! Fitz has incredible character. And M Williams has not had character issues either.

4.OAK has 1 decent WR who is young in Porter. They don't have a #2 WR who is young. They like 3 WR sets like DG does. They like deep passing like DG does. OAK doesn't follow convention drafting. OAK likes supertalents. It is very possible they take whoever is left from Fitz and M Williams.

5. The Moss Theory. No one wants to pass on the future Randy Moss. Especially when SD has zero WRs and OAK has 1.

I think SD and OAK taking a WR each is a very real and reasonable possibility and can't just be dismissd.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
Well you have to look at who is drafting at 1 and 2 and what they think of Fitz and M Williams. Yes if there is a trade down at 1 and/or 2 then I agree a WR will probably not get drafted. A QB or maybe the LT gets picked.

But if SD and OAK don't trade down I can see Fitz and M Williams go 1 and 2. I am not saying they will but there are very logical reasons that they very well might:

1. Fitz is the surest thing at WR since Moss. M Williams is better then Fitz of equal in the mind of many professional talent evaluators. These are pretty safe picks bust wise.

2. Neither dude should be in this draft. This is a unique chance to get a young quality WR. That might play a role in making these 2 teams think this is the chance of a lifetime.

3. SD just got rid of Boston. Dyson is not a superstar WR. They need a superstar WR. That is why they brought in Boston! Fitz has incredible character. And M Williams has not had character issues either.

4.OAK has 1 decent WR who is young in Porter. They don't have a #2 WR who is young. They like 3 WR sets like DG does. They like deep passing like DG does. OAK doesn't follow convention drafting. OAK likes supertalents. It is very possible they take whoever is left from Fitz and M Williams.

5. The Moss Theory. No one wants to pass on the future Randy Moss. Especially when SD has zero WRs and OAK has 1.

I think SD and OAK taking a WR each is a very real and reasonable possibility and can't just be dismissd.

Exactly right. If there is no trade from SD or OAK, there is a very good chance of WRs going 1-2. Manning, Ben, and Rivers are good, but Fitzgerald and Williams are far better at their positions than anyone else in this draft. Those are two kids you don't want to pass on.

That being said, I think that one or both of those teams will go another direction on draft day, but you can't ignore the distinct possibility that Fitzgerald and Williams are gone at #3. If that's the case, the value of the Cards pick goes through the roof, and trading down becomes very likely.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

You don't go gushing over him if you are not taking Fitz. If Fitz is there he will take him. And if he is there @ 3rd spot and doesn't take him, I'll buy you a beer in a Cards game if he bypass him.

Ill take you up on that beer! Your taking that gushing as the gospel, when in fact that can all be just a coach playinga good game of poker.

Happens all the time around this year does it not?

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: No way Fitz and Williams go 1-2

Green wants a WR at 3.

Conventional wisdom says we trade down or take one of the 2 franchise QBs, not another WR.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:

We often have trouble with just a plain old high pick. We greatly increase our chances of a screw up when we throw a trade into the mix. Trading is somewhat like chess and requires to you to anticipate the other guys moves several moves ahead. We do not have a history as good chess players. Checkers yes. Chess no.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Not me. I have faith that our other first round pick will continue to develop.

I am starting to jump on the Taylor Bandwagon.

Taylor's hammie is better, so he has another 40 yard audition scheduled next week, for what it is worth. He expects to run a sub 4.4 . Whoo Hoo. :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Taylor's hammie is better, so he has another 40 yard audition scheduled next week, for what it is worth. He expects to run a sub 4.4 . Whoo Hoo. :shrug:

If I read you correctly we're in agreement, I'm hoping he doesn't run a sub 4.4 I want to be greedy and have the chance to take him IF we move down.

:stick:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
The smart thing to do would be to stay at #3 and take whichever 'impact' player falls to us. I know people want to trade down, but you risk losing that player you think can be an immediate impact for your team. Furthermore, you already have essentially, a late 1st round pick at #33. Why trade down from 3 to get a guy you are border line skeptical about?

This is a deep draft but not deep in great players. after #7 IMO you are taking a chance on who you get and all those guys come with warts.

There should be plenty of offers to trade around at 33 however and at that spot you can be a little less picky. There will be a couple of 'sure' 1st rounders that fall out due to position runs and there will teams clamoring to move up.

Just dont try to get cute at #3 and swindle yourself out of an impact player.