Nobody’s off the hook yet

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's right.

You can be both appreciative of a road win against the Niners and at the same time realise it was a generally poor offensive performance and a game we won due to a confluence of moments that all went our way and will never happen again.

The most basic of which is we lose if Moody doesn't get hurt.

We don't go for 2 points that wins the game without the penalty. If the 4th and 5 is a yard in any other direction we lose. If one of the tips falls somewhere else we likely lose.

I'm glad we won, 2-3 feels a hell of a lot better than 1-4, but we won't win a lot of games playing this inconsistently. Not only from game to game, but within games. All teams have swings, but the Cards are wild. They can look like a playoff team one quarter, and the worst team in the league the next.

Sure we also made our own fate. The Moody injury I would argue is karma, #30 took a cheapshot at Dallas on the same play.

We were in that position to begin with due to 2 bad things by us, the low kick that was blocked, and the Kyler INT that prevented us from scoring on that drive.

All the plays that went right in the 2nd half we made, the fumble we caused, the great call at the goal line plus Kyler holding it to sell the fake is why the defender hit him in the face. The 4th and 5 as pointed out that was an audible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once he starts practicing, I don’t see him playing for another 2 weeks after that. So, sadly, I’m not expecting him anytime soon.

I thought Gannon said before the Washington game it was more likely he played against Green Bay thanSF? I took that to mean it was possible. Maybe I misunderstood that.

I'll answer my own question just found an article from 10-3 that said we still haven't opened the 21 day practice window which may mean we're concerned he wouldn't be ready to play in 21 days and would then have to sit out the whole season.

So I guess he's not as close as I thought.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going for 2 there is a dumb decision every time, just like the 4th down fade play call in the other game. Both worked, but man, really stupid decisions.

I think you have to back your team from the 2 yard line. If your down and it puts you over the line with a FG what kind of message does it send to your offense to say you don't trust them to get the ball in from there?

I think it was the right call. Had they gone for it from the normal FG mark then yes, it would have been foolish.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once he starts practicing, I don’t see him playing for another 2 weeks after that. So, sadly, I’m not expecting him anytime soon.

I think they will activate him straight away. No better practice for him than game reps.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure we also made our own fate. The Moody injury I would argue is karma, #30 took a cheapshot at Dallas on the same play.

We were in that position to begin with due to 2 bad things by us, the low kick that was blocked, and the Kyler INT that prevented us from scoring on that drive.

All the plays that went right in the 2nd half we made, the fumble we caused, the great call at the goal line plus Kyler holding it to sell the fake is why the defender hit him in the face. The 4th and 5 as pointed out that was an audible.

Sure, but there were a lot of "moments" in that 2nd half, far more than usual. Multiple turnovers and clutch plays that pretty much all broke our way.

The defense played above itself, the offense below itself. 9 times out of 10 we probably lose that game.

We can enjoy the win for sure, but also recognise that's not a recipe for future success.

Just give me a game where we run like we did, but Kyler also goes 22 of 28 for 265 yards and Marv has 100 yards and Wilson and McBride both have 50+. That's where this offense should be.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro that can’t happen.

If we win we can’t get rid of the smallest player ever at QB making $100 million a year pouting on the sidelines and scrubbing his instagram account.

LOL
Not the shortest! He also made 4 Pro Bowls!

There are others too!

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Going for 2 there is a dumb decision every time, just like the 4th down fade play call in the other game. Both worked, but man, really stupid decisions.
i disagree on the 2 point.

that TD drive, they had handed the ball off to Conner 6 times and got: 3,8,10,-1,1,14. From the 1, Connors odds there are quite good. Especially after you scored a TD where it looked run and you threw for the TD (i.e. the D had to honor the possibility of a pass)

had that been the first half where Connor was 6 carries for 13 yards or something -- i might agree with you

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Crazy good win but we suddenly can’t absolve Murray or Petzing or Rallis and the defense.
Good teams need to be consistent in a league that is inconsistent.

Buffalo was going to the Super Bowl 3weeks ago. Now after 2 losses in a row, not so much. Same with the Seahawks. Right now it looks like the Vikings and Washington for the NFC championship. Through attrition and other factors that will probably change.

The win was great but until we get to .500 consistently we are in the lower 1/3 of the league. Let’s keep our fandom in check for a while. Let’s enjoy today and hope we can carry this into Green Bay.
I am not sold on Daniels and WAS yet; I think some of the better teams will figure them out; they haven't played anyone good and when they did, they got thumped.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think you have to back your team from the 2 yard line. If your down and it puts you over the line with a FG what kind of message does it send to your offense to say you don't trust them to get the ball in from there?

I think it was the right call. Had they gone for it from the normal FG mark then yes, it would have been foolish.
You don't get it in and it's now more than a FG game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Of course nobody is off the hook. The issue is consistency. This is what inconsistent teams do. They battle in games they should get blown out and lose games they should win. That said, good vibes off a win against the 49ers baby!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They went for 2 because of the roughing the QB penalty on Murray’s TD pass. That brought the ball to the 1. JG will always go for 2 from the one yard line. Without the penalty, he probably kicks the XP.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That word "always" gets so many coaches in trouble.
Right or wrong, I’m old school when it comes to the 2 point conversion. I’d only go for 2 when I absolutely, positively had to. And never early in a game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think Robinson will play next week? Also if we go 2 and 1 in this weak division do you think we are buyers at the deadline? Azeez ojulari? ……..
I don't think he will play. Typically they will practice for a week or two after coming off of IR.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think Robinson will play next week? Also if we go 2 and 1 in this weak division do you think we are buyers at the deadline? Azeez ojulari? ……..
I don’t see Robinson playing this week. I don’t think we’d be buyers unless we suddenly go on a surge and get to 6-4.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't get it in and it's now more than a FG game.
I have been against most of his passing on FGs to go for it decisions. This was the right one this time. And, not just because it worked. We were running the ball well. Convert and our chances to win the game go way up. Don't convert, they go down a little. But, not as much as they go up because we would not have the advantage in OT.

In the incredibly unlikely event that things worked out the same way after not converting, we obviously would have been playing for a TD in the Red Zone instead of burning their timeouts to kick a FG. And, still could have won.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Yesterday Lawrence was 28 for 34 for 371 yards and a QBR of 126.1, and a win. Slightly better game that Murray, wouldn't you say?
He played Indy at home and we played the Niners on the road. So I’m not so sure how much to read into that.

They are a pretty big contrast in hair style and playing style. That I know for certain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake