Nobody wants Gallery

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
I frankly am shocked that Cardinal fans aren't salivating at the prospect of Robert Gallery being available when we pick.

Denny Green drafted Stuessie in 94, then watched him anchor the offensive line for one of the most dominant offenses in NFL history.

Denny Green was one of the first coaches to interview Gallery after the combine. Gallery stated in his journal on ESPN, that he couldn't believe he was actually talking to one of his idols, Denny Green. Gallery is an Iowan, and most Iowan's are Viking fans. Denny Green was the head coach in Minnesota the entire time Robert Gallery was growing up.

"We've got too much money tied up in the O-line already."

So you want ANOTHER receiver? We took the 2nd, and 3rd rated receivers in the draft last year, plus a D-lineman.

In '02, we took a D-lineman, and a linebacker.

In '01 we took BIG, and ANOTHER D-lineman.

Every team in the NFL is trying to trade up to get Gallery, that should be all the proof we need to realize that if Fitz and Williams go 1-2, we'll get Gallery, and the perennial playoff appearances will begin.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want Gallery because I want Roethlisberger. When was the last time we drafted a QB in round one (or two, for that matter)?

It's like the opposite of killing an opposing enemy--to kill you cut of the head; we need to get a "head"--a leader--for the Cardinals.

Okay, so that wasn't as eloquent as I'd hoped, but it was off the cuff. You get what I mean.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gallery is the safest pick in the draft. I wouldn't mind drafting him and letting Clement go.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denny Green was the starting rb for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Not sure of the year, either late 60's or early 70's. His teammate was Richard Solomon who was a starting db on the same team.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree. I dont buy the "to much money in one position" arguement either. If it improves your team you do it, regardless.

I would be very happy with 5 different player at the #3 spot and Gallery is right at the top of that list.

No one can say this oline doesnt make you drool:

Gallery - Big - Kendall - Clement - Shelton

spanky1

Reaction score
Lex,

"We took the 2nd and 3rd rated receivers last year".....please explain.....Charlie Rogers was clearly #1 and Andre Johnson was clearly #2.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to Gallery. He is outstanding and will go no later than #4 to the Giants maybe even earlier. I would have no problem with the Cards taking him at #3; however I just think Denny will go Fitzgerald or Mike Williams. He drafted not only Steussie in the first round with the Vikes but also Kory Stringer. Both made the pro bowl!

spanky1

Reaction score
Originally posted by joeshmo
I agree. I dont buy the "to much money in one position" arguement either. If it improves your team you do it, regardless.

I would be very happy with 5 different player at the #3 spot and Gallery is right at the top of that list.

No one can say this oline doesnt make you drool:

Gallery - Big - Kendall - Clement - Shelton

Shelton would not be a premier RT......

pinnacle

Reaction score
lex..I posted about a week ago that I was on the Gallery bandwagon (for the record..I was originally for Eli - but figured he would be gone..then I was thinking sean taylor). yea...we have tons of $$ tied up in the oline....but you could argue that 40% of the line sucks (clement and and unknown guy at right guard)...it is a little curious why we have not signed a veteran olineman - I do not think Clement or Spikes are going to cut it.....they seem to unable to either run block or pass block...

in addition to stussie - I think Korey Stringer was a 1st round pick by DG.

Boldin, johnson and a veteran receiver should suffice...that is why signing somone like dez white was important...

But it appears (right now anyway) that we will not get our wish. Jurecki mentioned yesterday that the cardinals are not talking on their draft plans...but everyone assumes (i.e. other gm's) we are taking fitzgerald or mike williams...and if both are gone....then we will trade a few slots to get roy williams....

Gallery seems like the kind of guy we need..good feet, has a nasty streak, seems relativey bright, etc...this is a departure from the huge guys with marginal feet and movement (quote from one of the cowboys dlineman before the game last year vs. cardinals...yea..they have a huge o line - but they do not move so good)....

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky1
Shelton would not be a premier RT......

You are right.

He would be PRO BOWL caliber.:D

Why wouldnt he. He has the footwork, strength, and size to play RT.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you can't just mix and match personnel on the O-line and make it work.

spanky1

Reaction score
What part of this sentence is so hard to understand..........

"We will install a 3 WR set on offense".......(so far we have 2 of the 3 parts)........if Dennis Green hasn't been any clearer, then no one is listening.

Whether or not you favor a LT (like a Gallery) or a QB ( like Eli) or anyone else, for Green to make HIS ( and not yours) offensive system work, he needs a slot receiver (Boldin), a possesion receive ( to be hired) and a deep threat with some decent speed (B. Johnson).

He will accept no other substitute. We are taking a WR with our #1 pick come hell or high water...........accept it everyone, it's reality!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I'm sorry, but you can't just mix and match personnel on the O-line and make it work.

Why not?

Green took tackles and made them gaurds in Minny.

spanky1

Reaction score
You are right.

He would be PRO BOWL caliber.:D

Why wouldnt he. He has the footwork, strength, and size to play RT.

Dennis Green has a system....on both offense and defense.

As it pertains to defense.....he needs a one gap and a two gap DT formation.

On offense, he needs a pass protector and a rush protector. Shelton is a pass protector (as is Gallery). Shelton is not a rush protector.....pure and simple!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by az jam
Denny Green was the starting rb for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Not sure of the year, either late 60's or early 70's. His teammate was Richard Solomon who was a starting db on the same team.
What the heck does that have to do with anything?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind landing Gallery, make your draft board then land whoever is the highest on that board at 3.

I wouldn't mind landing Fitz,M Williams,Gallery, Taylor or R Williams

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky1

On offense, he needs a pass protector and a rush protector. Shelton is a pass protector (as is Gallery). Shelton is not a rush protector.....pure and simple!

If Shelton is the pass protector then why is he moving Davis to LG making that side his power side for running since he likes running the ball to the "weak side". That tells me that Green thinks Shelton is a good run blocker. And since when has Shelton been not good at run blocking? IMO he excells at both.

And to say that Gallery is only a pass protector is laughable. He is the complete package, excells at pass blocking and run blocking. Why do you think he is projected so high. An OT isnt going to be projected top 5 if he is only 1 dimensional. Look up a review of this guy and every one says he is an excellent run blocker.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note to Pariah :
Go back to the very first message on this subject regarding Denny and Gallery. It has nothing to do with Minnesota being next to Iowa. GREEN IS A HAWKEYE. That is all I was saying, also that his close friend and db coach played there with him.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Shelton is the pass protector then why is he moving Davis to LG making that side his power side for running since he likes running the ball to the "weak side".

Running behind Shelton, Big, and Kendall has to make any running back salivate. That's a good set of beef there.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I don't want Gallery because I want Roethlisberger. When was the last time we drafted a QB in round one (or two, for that matter)?

It's like the opposite of killing an opposing enemy--to kill you cut of the head; we need to get a "head"--a leader--for the Cardinals.

Okay, so that wasn't as eloquent as I'd hoped, but it was off the cuff. You get what I mean.

Uhhhhhhhhhh....I believe Jake the Fake was a 2nd rounder.

Hey Denny...Just say, "NO"! Don't draft a QB in the 1st round...or, even the 2nd round...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05