Not defending Whis....but

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We were in position to win all three games.

I am confident we were driving to beat the Redskins except for the fumble by Stucky.

We miss two field goals yesterday and we are driving for another try when Kolb gets intercepted. In addition, we missed out on two INT's and a huge fumble recovery in the 4th.

I don't understand why we didn't go back to the no huddle more but when you hold a team to 13pts in the NFL, you are supposed to win.

Is this an issue of excecution (fumbles, missed INT's, INT's, missed FG's) or coaching?

Again - I don't think Whis is Tom Landry or Chuck Knoll but the team has been in the position to win all 3 games and didn't execute.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I blame Whisenhunt for both of the past losses.

The offensive playcalling was RIDICULOUS yesterday. The defense played well enough (or an inept enough offense) to win.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't address the two elephants in the room. OLB and OT.

That's the problem I have with Whis (add that he will never fire Grimm, who sucks out loud).

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's the problem I have with Whis (add that he will never fire Grimm, who sucks out loud).
The O-line didn't make me want to puke yesterday, it was weird. There was times when Kolb (he's still my main man and all) had some time looking around in the pocket and apparently didn't like what he saw in coverage. He would look right...loook left and then get flushed out. Running game too, opened some big holes, Smith found a couple of them. Kolb's blindside is what's bugging me, gotta get that number one on each week's practice priority. Sitting duck out there.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

He won't?

He's not the GM, this is what makes figuring out who to blame very tough, most of the time the organization remains fairly tight lipped about this stuff which leaves you guessing as to who's responsible for this mess.

For all we know Whiz is screaming, begging and pleading for more OLB help.

The Grimm thing, ok that seems to me to be on Whiz.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't?

He's not the GM, this is what makes figuring out who to blame very tough, most of the time the organization remains fairly tight lipped about this stuff which leaves you guessing as to who's responsible for this mess.

For all we know Whiz is screaming, begging and pleading for more OLB help.

He seems to make plenty of excuses for Porter. O'Brien and the mistakes he makes isn't better than the corpse they trot out week to week? I don't care if he took a massive paycut. There was a reason for that cut.

I have a feeling that if Whis screams, begs and pleads that he would get what he wants.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O-line didn't make me want to puke yesterday, it was weird. There was times when Kolb (he's still my main man and all) had some time looking around in the pocket and apparently didn't like what he saw in coverage. He would look right...loook left and then get flushed out. Running game too, opened some big holes, Smith found a couple of them. Kolb's blindside is what's bugging me, gotta get that number one on each week's practice priority. Sitting duck out there.

I think the oline interior is fine (and I've never been big on Lyle, but he's a gamer). They even have depth with Thrice Lutui.

But the edges are atrocious.

Those nice times when Kolb had time? That was when Bridges replaced Levi. I saw it too...it was weird...shocking and bizarre to see so much time.

But when Levi was in it was whiff city - Keith whiffed all over too (but surprisingly, he didn't do it when Bridges was in...lucky maybe?)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
He seems to make plenty of excuses for Porter. O'Brien and the mistakes he makes isn't better than the corpse they trot out week to week? I don't care if he took a massive paycut. There was a reason for that cut.

I have a feeling that if Whis screams, begs and pleads that he would get what he wants.

Then in that case, if you're right, he's a big part of the problem, JMO.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like Whis but I think yesterday was one of his worst, probably his worst, coached game.

On the defensive side of the ball, I would have blitzed constantly. The D had 4 or 5 sacks but every time he sensed the littlest amount of pressure, he panicked. Even the announcer said he looks at the rush.

Offensively, the no huddle worked to perfection and I don't think we saw it in the 2nd half. Chester Taylor brings nothing. Why would he get something like 8 carries in the 1st quarter?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offensively, the no huddle worked to perfection and I don't think we saw it in the 2nd half. Chester Taylor brings nothing. Why would he get something like 8 carries in the 1st quarter?

To be fair, once they brought Smith in to rush, Chester didn't carry it again. We was brought in later for pass pro, but not to run the ball.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
IMO Kolb had plenty of time to throw the ball if he just steps up in the pocket.

Plenty of posters on this board and so-called "experts", have noted Kolb's pocket presence. It's severely lacking. At the slightest pressure, Kolb looks to get out of the pocket, generally running to his right. He's effectively cutting the field in half when he does that, which plays RIGHT INTO the defenses hands.

The tackles are giving Kolb enough time; he just needs to get rid of the ball sooner.

Kolb was bad yesterday, but overall, I still contend the coaching staff lost this game. The offensive playcalling in the second half was more than suspect. I'm pissed off because I don't think this is a game that Seattle won....I think this is a game that we lost.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO Kolb had plenty of time to throw the ball if he just steps up in the pocket.

Plenty of posters on this board and so-called "experts", have noted Kolb's pocket presence. It's severely lacking. At the slightest pressure, Kolb looks to get out of the pocket, generally running to his right. He's effectively cutting the field in half when he does that, which plays RIGHT INTO the defenses hands.

The tackles are giving Kolb enough time; he just needs to get rid of the ball sooner.

Kolb was bad yesterday, but overall, I still contend the coaching staff lost this game. The offensive playcalling in the second half was more than suspect. I'm pissed off because I don't think this is a game that Seattle won....I think this is a game that we lost.

I agree that Kolb has to step up into the pocket more & avoid moving to his right. He's actually improving in that area, but he still reverts to old habits under pressure. The other issue I have is that our receivers just don't create separation. It's either that or the Seattle secondary was awesome.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could easily be 0-3 as easily as we could be 3-0. We could easily be 2-1 instead of the 1-2 we actually are. The difference is amount of optimism we all would feel with the two better records when, in reality, the team just isn't all that good.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I dont understand why the team doesn't throw more quick slants and outs like they do in Green Bay...it can loosen up the defense for later in the game, but--for some reason--the team is not doing that, especially for a team that does not Pass pro that well... We have the personnel for it IMO.

Last edited:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand why the team doesn't throw more quick slants and outs like they do in Green Bay...it can loosen up the defense for later in the game, but--for some reason--the team is not doing that, especially for a team that does not Pass pro that well... We have the personnel for it IMO.
I was screaming for this through most of yesterday's game.

azfan43

Rookie
Reaction score
Whiz wasn't the one that blew the coverage on moss. Whiz didn't miss those kicks. Whiz isn't blocking DE's. Whiz didn't fumble at the end. Whiz didn't throw a pick at the end.

I am not a fan of the play calling neither...but at the end of the day it's the men on the field who have to execute and if that small hand full of plays go the other way we are easily 3-0 as we are 1-2. It's that small of a margin from people thinking Whiz is doing well and people thinking it's time to start looking for a new HC.

Isn't the mind set on most, even if the play call is wrong, if we do it right and it's successful, it is suddenly genius?