Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 09/15/24-09/21/24

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a big game but I won’t go as far as calling it a defining moment.
It’s an awfully long season. 2-1 would make us all feel fuzzy and warm but it doesn’t define nothing but our fandom.
Agreed! Would be a really really nice win but losing a competitive game with a winnable game against Washington wouldn’t deter my optimism. 2-2 after our first four games would be just fine especially since 0-4 was realistic to start the season.

But let’s get greedy and show the NFL what’s up this weekend!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed! Would be a really really nice win but losing a competitive game with a winnable game against Washington wouldn’t deter my optimism. 2-2 after our first four games would be just fine especially since 0-4 was realistic to start the season.

But let’s get greedy and show the NFL what’s up this weekend!
I’m thinking 2-2 with our yet to be used receiver and possibly a new disrupter on the defensive line we might be starring at the next 4 games as winnable.

The worst thing from the Detroit game would be a solid plan as to how to counter our offense.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit should win this game. We’re kind of outmatched in numerous spots, especially our D versus their O.

If we win though, playoffs might not be out of the question.

Yeah trenches is the big one.

The wildcard here is QB. Goff hasn't been playing well and Kyler has been on fire. If that happens again who knows? But as Goff probably has all day to pick passes I don't see it being an issue.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah trenches is the big one.

The wildcard here is QB. Goff hasn't been playing well and Kyler has been on fire. If that happens again who knows? But as Goff probably has all day to pick passes I don't see it being an issue.
I think Rallis is going to have a plan to swarm Goff... he kinda has to, the book on Goff has always been that he wilts under pressure...the redbirds just have not been able to pressure him in the past much.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s just it, you’re arguing from a place admitted limited knowledge. I’m sure that lions fans don’t know who higgins or tip or either. Maybe their 2 and 3 are as good, or better, than our no name guys at the position. I can only grade upon what I know. LaPorta to mcbride. And while it’s close, LaPorta was historically fantastic as a rookie.
What I will say is that McBride with a full season with Murray last year probably would have put up much better numbers. His 17 game pace with Kyler last year would have been something like 1150 yards and 5 TDs.

Also looking at the two games played so far this year, it's 127 yards and a TD for our TEs versus 60 yards and no TDs for the Lions' TEs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And correct me if I’m wrong, but analytics don’t always have all the pertinent data to make them infallible. Like the analytics might say go for it on 4th down at their 30 with 3 yards to go. But what if you starting QB isn’t playing or you’re playing a team with a great defense? There’s also something called momentum. People might dismiss such as the “feels” of the game, but the players are human. Humans react on feelings. As a result momentum can absolutely be a real thing that operatives outside of The purview of analytics.
This. Also there is situational things in the game like the current score, how much game is left, how good the team has been performing in certain aspects in the game and of course what the team's strengths and weaknesses are in general.

A good example is if you have 4th and short at the 50 late in a close game. The analytics might say that you should go for it, but if your defense has forced a three and out on multiple possessions in a row and you have a good punter that will likely pin the other team close to the goal line, it's probably safe to say that you should just punt there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think unless his leg is hanging off they will roll him out.
But that might be a wash. How much better is a hobbled ancient beachum than a younger healthy lesser player? Against average defenders maybe his guile is enough. Against a hutch that guile is likely meaningless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What I will say is that McBride with a full season with Murray last year probably would have put up much better numbers. His 17 game pace with Kyler last year would have been something like 1150 yards and 5 TDs.

Also looking at the two games played so far this year, it's 127 yards and a TD for our TEs versus 60 yards and no TDs for the Lions' TEs.
Again, I love mcbride. I think he’s a stud. I just question if he’s as good as LaPorta. Which I think is reasonable. I also like tip and higgins. But they’re largely unproven. And I just saw they signed ertz. I don’t think he’s got lots left in the tank, but tough to argue he’s not more proven than our backups.

Overall I love our TE room. Just don’t know how good the backups can be at max optimization.

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m thinking 2-2 with our yet to be used receiver and possibly a new disrupter on the defensive line we might be starring at the next 4 games as winnable.

The worst thing from the Detroit game would be a solid plan as to how to counter our offense.
Then we just make adjustments. Just like all good teams.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
Notes - from various sources, not my own :)
-----------
Dating back to the beginning of last season, the Cardinals are 8-1 to the Over playing at home. If this trend continues, then we are in for a scoring treat.

Detroit’s offense through the first two weeks has been been neutral. However, when given the option, OC Ben Johnson wants to run the ball. Look for Detroit to try and establish the ground game early. The Lions are No. 1 in EPA/rush and No. 1 in rush success rate. The Cardinals are surprisingly doing quite well against the run compared to previous seasons. They are 14th in EPA/rush allowed, but they are top-five in RYOE/Att and have the fourth highest Stuffed Run rate in the league.

When they do drop back to pass, Jared Goff should have time against a pass rush ranked 28th in pass rush win rate. Arizona’s secondary is going to feature a ton of Cover-3. That sets up for explosives over the top by Jameson Williams.

If Arizona is to keep this competitive, their red zone defense will need to step up. The Lions are first in total red zone trips on offense (11) but rank bottom-six in touchdown scoring rate (27.3%).

Look for Cards to air it out against DC Aaron Glenn’s man-heavy, single-high scheme. They sport a -4% PROE overall, but this team has been pass-heavy on first downs so far this year.

It's going to be tough sledding for James Conner operating behind an offensive line that’s bottom-10 in YBCO/Att created. The Lions are a legitimate pass-funnel defense now that star free agent addition D.J. Reader is healthy and clogging lanes. Last week the Lions shut down the Bucs rushing attack holding their backfield duo to just 2.35 YPC.

This needs to be Kyler Murray show. Murray draws a defense that ranks No. 3 in highest rate of man coverage and No. 4 in highest rate of single-high. If the pass rush doesn’t get home, Kyler could do some damage here. We saw last week he isn’t afraid to test defenses deep. The Lions’ cornerbacks will be tested frequently. Terrion Arnold (illness) logged DNP, DNP, LP and is questionable. Carlton Davis has taken a step back this year ranking as PFF’s No. 56 CB in coverage. I think we see Marvin Harrison Jr. put up another outing filled with explosive gains. Detroit ranks No. 9 in highest rate of explosive pass plays surrendered to date and Kyler ranks fourth in highest percentage of 20+ air yard balls thrown (15.4%)

McBride sports a 29% target share against single-high coverage. He should find himself in 1-on-1 situations frequently against a man-heavy Lions defense that may be without MLB Alex Anzalone (concussion).

This is the highest scoring game of the slate and the close spread signifies it should be a highly entertaining one.