Observations on Game 2

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. I am constantly amazed at Nash. The general consensus among media types is that he is among the best in the league now, but not in a class with Bird and Jordan. That first half was an amazing display. Nash has to be one of the most efficient players in NBA history. No turnovers, high percentage shooting etc.

2. I love watching KT play D. He is so fundamentally sound. HS coaches should tape him and use it to teach youngsters. He is always in the right place, he never gives up his space, and he never leaves his feet or takes a fake, his arms are always straight up. Watch how many players miss close shots when KT is between them and the basket. The best news is that Amare seems to be watching, there were a few times last night when he did just like KT. Its not as flashy as flying in for a block, but it is much more effective.

3. Whodathunk our deep bench would make a difference in the playoffs. Rose, Banks, Burke and company played most of the 4th quarter, and managed to score a little and stay on the floor, giving our starters a rest and avoiding injury risks. Props to them.

More later

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
I haven't seen them play with this type of focus...ever. There was no half-assed passes, no half-assed D.

Very encouraging if they can play at this level. They might not win every game, but they can win every series.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I noticed that at some point in the 3rd quarter they had switched Kobe onto Barbosa in an attempt to cool him off. I would expect something similar in game 3, but that's fine by me. If kobe has to spend that much energy on defense then I would think his offense would suffer a bit.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
did anyone else get the feeling that luke walton and phil jackson had a kobra kai "sweep the leg" type moment before the game? it seemed like walton was throwing himself on barbosa trying to draw fouls to keep lb out of the game.

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
did anyone else get the feeling that luke walton and phil jackson had a kobra kai "sweep the leg" type moment before the game? it seemed like walton was throwing himself on barbosa trying to draw fouls to keep lb out of the game.

They used the size advantage, tried to get more physical with him, and tried to make him play D to get him into foul trouble. I don't think it was dirty.

As we get deeper in the playoffs, others will go after Barbosa the same way. He might have crumbled in the past, but I think his confidence just keeps building by the minute.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash never ceases to amaze me by his passing and the smart decisions he makes with the ball. In fact, he does not just pass the ball but he delivers the ball to players while they are in shooting position. That one long pass that Nash made to Marion (I'm guessing from near half court) and hit him in mid air for a dunk was awesome. In fact, Nash's passing ability is uncanny.

The main thing about the Suns bench (at the far end) is all they need to do is play focused basketball and not take bad shots or make turnovers to help this team. I know they are unlikely to get many minutes in the playoffs. However, I was sure happy when Burke turned down a long outside shot and Banks did not try to do anything fancy. Also how about that drive to the basket by Pike. He might well help the Suns in the Playoffs. He is a smart player that most always seems to play under control and he can shoot the 3. KT also uses his smarts to play good defense as you mentioned JCSunsfan.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns brought their A Game. It has been a while since we've seen them play with the combination of intensity, team play, and good decision making along with good shooting. Often it seems like they settle for playing like that in a few runs, but then sort of let off the peddale. Last night they simply never let up.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
They used the size advantage, tried to get more physical with him, and tried to make him play D to get him into foul trouble. I don't think it was dirty.

As we get deeper in the playoffs, others will go after Barbosa the same way. He might have crumbled in the past, but I think his confidence just keeps building by the minute.

maybe i think the whole thing seemed a little fishy because i picture phil like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Put a white suit on the Phil and he'll look like Colonel Sanders.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a white suit on the Phil and he'll look like Colonel Sanders.

What?!?! You mean he's not???? There goes my hopes of him returning my photo signed with a free bucket of chicken.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
The biggest observation I had about game 2 is that the Lakers got clowned. :thewave: