Observations on the Suns payroll

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm

Dragic is the highest paid player on the team at $7.5 mil.
Childress is third, but it doesnt count against the cap.

There are very few escalating contracts. This must be some sort of institutional policy at this point.

Adding Barbosa would put a crimp in any mid-season deals the Suns might want to take advantage of. They are presently at $49.7 million in salary (not including Childress). It would be nice to pick up a pick or quality young player in a mid-season trade. If we want Harden, we probably should find a way to trade for him rather than just try to sign him.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Adding Barbosa would put a crimp in any mid-season deals the Suns might want to take advantage of.
I don't think the Suns are offering Barbs anything more than the minimum. I am not even convinced they are interested. The roster is set. Barbosa is probably more interested in coming back than the Suns in having him back.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a needle in my side, but it irks me a bit that hoopshype includes the amnesty salary in it's total.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Vet Min deals don't count 100% against the cap either, but they go for the over all salaries.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand why the Suns may not want to add another player to their roster because of salary implications but Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus and Michael Redd remain unsigned per Paul Coro on twitter. I can see why Pietrus is unsigned but not so much, Barbosa and Redd especially when Alando Tucker is getting a workout with the Bucks.

http://twitter.com/PaulCoro

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns already have 13 players under contract. In the Sarver era, they've historically only paid the minimum 13 player requirement.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns already have 13 players under contract. In the Sarver era, they've historically only paid the minimum 13 player requirement.

I understand this. However, I view Barbosa and Redd as players that can contribute to an NBA team if not the Suns.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I understand this. However, I view Barbosa and Redd as players that can contribute to an NBA team if not the Suns.
I'm guessing Barbosa is probably being a bit picky and not willing to settle for minimum and/or bad team. I think he is probably considering playing in Brazil if he can't get a better offer in NBA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing Barbosa is probably being a bit picky and not willing to settle for minimum and/or bad team. I think he is probably considering playing in Brazil if he can't get a better offer in NBA.

I really doubt that. A minimum salary for a player with his experience will be nearly 1 mil, I dont know what they pay in the Brazilian league but I doubt they are hauling in 7 figures.

I think the more likely scenario is that Barbosa is having a hard time finding a job right now. Once training camp starts and teams get a look at their teams some opportunities will open up, and I think he will take what he can get, regardless of how good the team is.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really doubt that. A minimum salary for a player with his experience will be nearly 1 mil, I dont know what they pay in the Brazilian league but I doubt they are hauling in 7 figures.
I didn't mean he would get more money or even the same money in Brazil, only that he may prefer to play in Brazil close to his family if none of the NBA offers are particularly attractive.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I want to opine on the subject and give my own "observation on the Suns payroll". Perhaps the board administrators can help me out here: How do I make the font like reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllly tiny?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to opine on the subject and give my own "observation on the Suns payroll". Perhaps the board administrators can help me out here: How do I make the font like reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllly tiny?

This is as small as it gets, buddy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It looks like this is the best they could do. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it smaller, see below. However, it's very hard to see. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake