Official 2006 NFL Draft Thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Local kid, grew up a Cardinal fan. Surprised by us drafting an OG though.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
John Clayton just said that we are having the best day in the draft so far. The whole NFC West as well.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
we are now deep at guard but light at tackle

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Ranked the #4 guard by NFLDraftcountdown:

You must be registered for see images
http://www.nfluk.com/imagefolder/medium/Feature Article/TaitusiLutuiaa.jpg

Strengths:
A massive player who is a chore to get around...Has good balance...Sets a wide base...Quick and a solid athlete...Does a good job in pass protection...Very strong and can manhandle opponents in the running game...Agile and moves well in a phone booth...Durable...Has some upside once he can focus on a single position.

Weaknesses:
Has struggled to keep his weight in check and must stay in shape or he becomes much less effective...Is not very fast or mobile...Lacks body control and does not adjust well in space...Struggles with speed rushers...Does not do much at the second level...Needs technique work...Will be limited to playing guard as a pro.

Notes:
Nickname is "Deuce"...A top junior college transfer who started two years for the Trojans...Played right tackle as a junior and struggled but became dominant in '05 when moved inside to guard...A typical road-grader in the running game who is similar in many ways to Toniu Fonoti...Has the potential to start at the next level.

seesred

Reaction score
Lutui was Lienarts protectiuon on his backside for the past two years. IMO that had a lot to do with the pick. They said he was moving up boards the last few weeks. It's a good start for solid push in camp for jobs. on the O-line.

GBR

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
My 7 round mock took a hit when Leinart fell to us instead of AJ Hawk, but I'm happy. Here's the rest;

2nd - Taitusi Latui (G)
3rd - Marcus Maxey (CB)
4th - Rodrique Wright ( DT)
5th - Leon Williams (ILB)
6th - Jeremy Bloom (RS)
7th - Antonio Malone (CB)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Taitusi Lutui
G, USC
War Room analysis
Strengths: Uses massive frame well; rarely loses balance once locked on to an opponent. Anchors well against bigger, stronger pass rushers. Holds up nicely in pass protection; can mirror and slide if set properly. Has surprising short-area agility. Has great potential.

Weaknesses: Must lose weight; excess bulk shows in marginal speed, mobility and lack of open-field effectiveness. Has trouble with shifting speed and blocking downfield. Overextends and lunges.

Bottom line: Nicknamed "Deuce," Lutui is durable and has experience in a high-profile NFL-style program. He must get his weight under control, but he could become a NFL starter. He projects as an early Round 2 prospect.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is a powerful blocker who plays with a great base. Has a thick lower body, and derives strength from it. Can maul defenders and drive them backwards. Shows strong hands, and uses them well. Is mean. Shows pretty quick footwork. Played tackle in junior college before transferring to USC in ’04. Moved to guard in ’05. Is quickly rising up draft boards. No. 1 on Pompei's OG rankings

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
My hunch just reading his bio is that they might plan to make him the RT.

He's played that before, although he did best at guard, I think it's a great pick but I'm curious as to what now since we just signed a FA guard and last year we drafted one.

I'd have to think they plan on making him the RT.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lutui and M. Brown at the OG spots.

Wells at C or RT?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Lutui and M. Brown at the OG spots.

Wells at C or RT?

I think Wells will be the Center. Lutui COULD play RT. I think they'll stick with Ross. My guess is DG wants Loney to coach Ross up so that the FA signing doesn't look so bad.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Second round
04/29/2006 03:00:30

The Cardinals addressed their offensive line in the second round, taking USC guard Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, a Mesa High graduate.

Lutui grew up a Cardinals fan and this fulfills his dream of playing for the organization. At 6-foot-4, 330 pounds, he's a great run blocker. He also played tackle his junior year at USC and moved to guard last year.

He joins his USC teammate Matt Leinart.

Lutui will contend for the starting left guard spot, currently occupied by Reggie Wells, who recently signed a new five-year contract.

If Lutui shows he can play, it's possible Wells could move to center, where he played last year for a short time.
Free agent Milford Brown is expected to play right guard.

Coach Dennis Green has said he's committed to getting the best five offensive linemen on the field. His selection will put some pressure on Elton Brown, a fourth-round selection last year.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
SeattleCard said:
Second round
04/29/2006 03:00:30

The Cardinals addressed their offensive line in the second round, taking USC guard Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, a Mesa High graduate.

Lutui grew up a Cardinals fan and this fulfills his dream of playing for the organization. At 6-foot-4, 330 pounds, he's a great run blocker. He also played tackle his junior year at USC and moved to guard last year.

He joins his USC teammate Matt Leinart.

Lutui will contend for the starting left guard spot, currently occupied by Reggie Wells, who recently signed a new five-year contract.

If Lutui shows he can play, it's possible Wells could move to center, where he played last year for a short time.
Free agent Milford Brown is expected to play right guard.

Coach Dennis Green has said he's committed to getting the best five offensive linemen on the field. His selection will put some pressure on Elton Brown, a fourth-round selection last year.

If he can take the LG spot, that's some serious beef on that side.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser