OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Start of Round #2

Looks Like 10 Minutes per pick.

WE TRADED UP BABY!!!! ARIZONA IS ON THE CLOCK!!!

# 33 - Arizona Cardinals

Alan Branch
DT | (6'5
You must be registered for see images attach
", 324, 5.07) | MICHIGAN

Scouts Grade: 93View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag
| All Ranked Players
| NFL Draft History You are signed into Insider
You must be registered for see images
and have access to the exclusive draft content below.
Strengths: A massive two-gap interior defender with excellent height, bulk and strength. He possesses a massive frame and is able to occupy two blockers in the run game. He shows good initial quickness for his size and typically does a solid job of playing with leverage for such a tall guy. He shows good balance and body control for his size. He gives a great effort on most plays and shows better than average stamina for his massive frame. He can take over a game when he's fresh and gets his motor running. He is more of a two-gap fit, but he often times will disrupt plays in the backfield by using his quickness, size and strength to penetrate. He is a powerful tackler with impressive wrap-up skills for his size. He displays the ability to collapse the pocket with a powerful bull rush. He's versatile and has experience playing NT, DT and DE in three-and-four man fronts.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal explosiveness. He's quick for his size but lacks the speed and closing burst to consistently make an impact as a pass rusher in the NFL. He's mostly a one-dimensional bull rusher type. He needs to improve his arsenal of pass rush moves. He has room to improve in terms of using his hands to play off of blocks. Durability is only a minor concern after missing two games due to a knee injury in 2005.

Overall: Branch appeared in all 12 games as a true freshman in 2004 seeing time at defensive tackle, defensive end, and on special teams registering five total tackles, two tackles for loss, and two sacks. In 2005, he played in all 12 games starting the final 10 contests and recorded 31 total tackles, 10 tackles for loss, five sacks, one fumble recovery, and one forced fumble, again seeing action at both defensive tackle and end. Branch settled into a starting spot at defensive tackle for all 13 games in 2006 and finished the season with 25 total tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks, one interception, three fumble recoveries, and two forced fumbles earning First Team All-Big Ten accolades. Branch is losing some momentum as the draft nears. He elected to bolt school early after his most productive season as a junior and he also showed good mobility for his size at the combine. There's no question that Branch possesses the rare physical tools to make an impact in the NFL, but he takes too many plays off on film and he wasn't overly impressive during private interviews with some teams. It also didn't help matters when he showed up at Michigan's on-campus workout in noticeably worse shape than he was a few weeks earlier at the combine. More than anything, there's a concern that Branch is capable of gaining too much weight and becoming even less motivated once he collects a paycheck at the next level. While Branch is too talented to fall out of the first round, it wouldn't be surprising if 19-year old Amobi Okoye (Louisville) winds up as the first defensive tackle taken in the 2007 NFL draft.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Alan Branch for the Cards, good pick. But I thought they would've gone LB/DB. I hope they didnt give up too much to move just a few slots.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did we give up? I'm okay with Branch so long as we didn't trade away our 38...if we don't have a second rounder I would have rather had Houston or Pos. :(

BigOX

Reaction score
Wow another ****** DT who is lazy when Poz was available.

This draft ****ing sucks

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Watson and Branch really will clog the middle.

Two Michigan guys with sporadic motors.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What did we give up? I'm okay with Branch so long as we didn't trade away our 38...if we don't have a second rounder I would have rather had Houston or Pos. :(

FU#K!!! We lost our #38

What the hell are we doing?????

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

ESPN says our 2 and 4. Thought NFL Network said it was a 6, though. :confused:

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We gave them our #38 and our 4th rounder.

I am sick. I quit.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Damn, Poz to the Bills.

So whos left as far as LB/DBs go for the Cards to get at 38?

EDIT: Ug, they gave away the 38? Christ, Branch is an OK pick, but I would've rather had Poz.

Do the Cards have a 4th at all now?

Last edited:

BigOX

Reaction score
We gave up our 2nd and 4th for another lazy ****** Michigan DT.

I couldn't believe Poz was available and perfectly happy with him.

How many fat DTs do we need when teams just run around us when the inevitible happens and Berry or Oke go down.

This draft is pissing me off. Fire Graves, hire Green as GM.

Poz would of been awesome and a steal and a great need. WHERE WAS THE DRAFT FOR NEED NOW

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
WE HAVE A HUGE INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINEMAN ALREADY!!

Pos... Houston..... Harris... All were there.

We better be really good this year or I might get pissed quick.

My Kool-aid is now sour.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Uh, I would have waited. I would have been happy with Branch at #38, but to lose a 4th to get him at #33? :scratcheshead:

Really, there just seems to be too much talent on the board and we have multiple needs that we could have addressed from that talent by staying at #38....

So far, I grade this draft a C (LB = B, AB = C- only because of the trade)....

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remained relatively optimistic when I thought we reached and passed on better players for Brown.

But this may be too much. I really, really, really don't like passing on Houston, Pos and Harris for this pick...especially when we also give up a 4th.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
well im off to bed.

Hope to wake up tomorrow to find our 3rd pick is a cracker.....

Enjoy all!