Official Paris 2024 Summer Olympics Thread

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rapper Flavor Flav and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian team up to help Olympian Veronica Fraley pay her rent​

Fraley posted on X a day before her Olympics debut.

Ahead of her Olympics debut, track and field athlete Veronica Fraley had a more pressing concern on her mind than the Games: Paying her rent on time.

Fraley, 24, lamented her situation on social media Thursday as she prepared for her women's discus throw qualification round in Paris.

"I compete in the Olympic Games TOMORROW and can’t even pay my rent," Fraley, is the 2024 NCAA discus champion, wrote on X. "my school only sent about 75% of my rent while they pay football players (who haven’t won anything) enough to buy new cars and houses"

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

During the ‘84 Olympics in Los Angeles I took my two weeks vacation time and saw as many events as I could. The shooting teams were the coolest. Especially the Italians. They would casually sling their Italian-made, and very expensive, shotguns over their shoulders and saunter up to their positions.

Also got to ride on the bus with them from the parking lot to the shooting site. Which was by Prado Dam. Those two weeks were beyond fun.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The last 5 holes of Olympic golf was wonderful. Scottie Scheffler made a huge move in those last 5 holes. Epic comeback! Shoots a final round 62! Lowest tournament -19 under record score. First golfer to come in ranked number one to win the Gold.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
He easily is. Fed is my favorite but Novak is the king.
The king of what? Tennis people are divided between Djokovich, Federer, Nadal and Serena Williams. My picks are Federer and Serena. Novak is undoubtedly the greatest at pouting and making excuses.

As much as I am a tennis fan, I cannot say anyone is a better athlete than Labron.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I always thought Rod Laver was the king. Here's a write up that I find hard to argue with:

It’s difficult to assess how Rod Laver would have fared against the players of today, but I suspect the redheaded Aussie would have done just fine. It’s hard to argue with the “Rockets” record. He was ranked number one in the world for seven straight years (1964 – 1970), and he has more career titles (200) than anyone in the history of the game.

He is the only player to have twice won the Grand Slam, doing it once as an amateur in 1962 and again as a pro in 1969. If Laver was not excluded from the Grand Slam tournaments during a five-year period in the mid-1960s, who knows how many he would have won. During this time period, the pre-open era, the Grand Slam tournaments were for amateurs only. The “open era” in tennis did not begin until 1968, when professionals were finally allowed to compete in the Grand Slam events. Given that Laver was ranked number one in the world during this five-year period, it’s likely he would have won many more Grand Slam titles.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I always thought Rod Laver was the king. Here's a write up that I find hard to argue with:
I agree; however, he stated the 21st century. This argument exists in every sport. I believe that Laver was the best in his time, but the sport was limited and new professionally.

Laver could not compete with the larger more physically gifted tennis players of today.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The king of what? Tennis people are divided between Djokovich, Federer, Nadal and Serena Williams. My picks are Federer and Serena. Novak is undoubtedly the greatest at pouting and making excuses.

As much as I am a tennis fan, I cannot say anyone is a better athlete than Labron.

The king of tennis of course:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky