Official Release: Arizona Cardinals Release QB Jeff Blake

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Who can you get , outside of a Dave Brown type, at a salary of what 1.5 million?

Hell didint Brown make 900,000 a year here? and he was a clip board holder.

The biggest name out there is Brunell and he wont come for that type of money.

If that is the reasoning, it really is hard for me to see anyone you can argue is leaps-and-bounds better than Blake without adding to a bigger cap hit than if Blake had stayed on the team.

If we do sign a vet and don't draft a high pick, then this Billick angle probably has a lot to it.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
From KFFL

Cardinals | Interested in Signing a Free-Agent QB? - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:33:55 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the Arizona Cardinals are looking into the possibility of signing a veteran, free-agent QB to backup and help mentor recently named starting QB Josh McCown.

spanky1

Reaction score
Who can you get , outside of a Dave Brown type, at a salary of what 1.5 million?

Hell didint Brown make 900,000 a year here? and he was a clip board holder.

The biggest name out there is Brunell and he wont come for that type of money.

The point is...... we don't need a "big name" QB in a FA . What we are likely looking for is a backup QB......not a starting QB type talent.

Green has told us clearly......McCown is our starting QB. Of course Brunell isn't going to come here cheaper than Blake.....but he's not coming here as a backup either.

All we need is someone who would be able to step in, in the event of an injury to McCown and not be a "deer in the headlights".....Dave Brown was an overpaid retread. He was a product of a different administration who didn't know what the heck they were doing......which is why he was paid such an outrageous salary. Personally, all I think we need is a capable veteran #3.....someone who sits behinfd Parsons to be honest.

phinius

Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
I think this ups our chances of drafting a QB, especially if one's available in round one. Do you think Parsons will be our backup? No way. We'll possibly add a vet, but do we add a vet, cut Parsons and draft a QB?

Well, this is just another thing to make us say 'hmm?' It doesn't SAY we'll draft a QB, but it certainly doesn't say we won't either.

:thumbup: This makes sense to me.

Phinius, the old timer

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
FYI - If we are to sign say Jeff George or O'Donnell, we would have to pay him the veterans minimum for a player for more than 10 years experience, which I believe is $755,000. So if we decide to go that route, we'll save about $250,000 from cutting Blake.

The minimum for five year vets is $450,000 and it escalates.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is your answer.....we will not be using our #3 pick on Eli or Ben
Not so fast.

- We could still pick up our QBOF (Manning, Roeth, Henson) to push McCown.

- We could (as Urban suggests) add a vet to mentor Josh (interesting he didn't think it could be Blake)

- We could also add a vet to push Josh and start should Josh falter.

- We could draft a QB (or maybe 2) in the mid - late rounds or bring one in as an UDFA. (Either keeping or releasing Parsons)

By making this move, Denny makes it somewhat easier to exercise any of the above options.

And I agree that, despite Denny's comments, McCown's starting job is not as rock solid as you might otherwise think. (Denny said glowing things about Blake 3 weeks before releasing him. I think Denny will pull the trigger on any move that will help this team - regardless of past statements about a player - and I like that policy. As rough as it sounds, it's the way you build a winner).

Aside from all the speculation, I applaud Dennis for making the move (and making it early). I felt that, unlike more physically gifted QB's, Blake's margin of error in each game had to be much narrower and that couldn't keep the number mistakes in each game low enough to give us a decent chance of winning.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ZOINKS!

i'm shocked. not so much that i loved blake, i didn't. not so much that josh is our starter going into next year, i'm not shocked or upset at that. but to make this move now . . . so odd. i'm happy to see green so decisive. well, if nothing else, these ain't the same old boring predictable cardinals . . . whew.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
If the Cards do go after a vet, actual backup type QB, even though the NFL Vet min might be $750,000 or something, the actual cap hit for old vets that get the min is actually equal to the rookie min for the year. The NFL has a general surplus fund that picks up the tab for the difference between what the team pays (against the cap) and what the Vet actually receives.

It's a good rule and allows vets to hang around longer and still get paid. Otherwise, before that rule, almost always, teams went with the cheaper rookies with potential.

This will be the 3rd or 4th year of this rule.

Now, if they can give all rookies slotted contracts or limit rookies to only 3 year contracts, the NFL might actually get to a point where most of the money earned by NFL players actually goes to guys who can play. No more Ryan Leaf contracts please.

spanky1

Reaction score
Originally posted by AntSports Steve
If the Cards do go after a vet, actual backup type QB, even though the NFL Vet min might be $750,000 or something, the actual cap hit for old vets that get the min is actually equal to the rookie min for the year. The NFL has a general surplus fund that picks up the tab for the difference between what the team pays (against the cap) and what the Vet actually receives.

It's a good rule and allows vets to hang around longer and still get paid. Otherwise, before that rule, almost always, teams went with the cheaper rookies with potential.

This will be the 3rd or 4th year of this rule.

Now, if they can give all rookies slotted contracts or limit rookies to only 3 year contracts, the NFL might actually get to a point where most of the money earned by NFL players actually goes to guys who can play. No more Ryan Leaf contracts please.

Congratulations to Antsports Steve.....if we sign a serviceable BACK UP QB, it's only going to cost us $500K or so versus what Blake would have cost us

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From what I saw of McCown this year I am not ready to annointe him the future. Did he improve? YES. But he still has a long way to go. I dont know, but the more I think about it, the less I like it.

So exactly how do yo expect him travel this looong road if he doesn't get a chance to play?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
With the first pick in the second round the cardinals select Phillip Rivers.

I would not mind having fitz and rivers as our first two picks. IMO Rivers is not that far away from ben or eli.

Go and sign some FA defensive playes and we would be all set.:D

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Cutting Blake,

What did Blake do to deserve a spot on next years roster? Can that level of performance be that hard to replace? Chop the dead wood Denny and find some dogs that can hunt!

Shuesters:cool:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
With the first pick in the second round the cardinals select Phillip Rivers.

I would not mind having fitz and rivers as our first two picks. IMO Rivers is not that far away from ben or eli.

Go and sign some FA defensive playes and we would be all set.:D
Don't you read Krang's posts? No way does Rivers last until the 2nd round.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
I disagree. If you send Parsons to Europe, that would mean McCown would be the only QB to work the mini camps. With the new coach, the Cardinals get two extra mini camps before the draft. McCown's arm would fall off if he were the only one.

I agree and would add,

What good does it do a new coach to have ANY of his players in NFLE?

He needs all of his players in the "voluntary" camps. If Preston is to make his splash it can't happen in europe.

It will happen here.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
We flip picks with the Giants, plus picks, and we take Palmer off their hands as a backup.... our pick... Kellen Winslow... the second coming of Kellen Winslow... :D

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Green must have just finished watching the tapes of last year's games. I'm sure he'd release Kordell if the bears would let him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky1
Congratulations to Antsports Steve.....if we sign a serviceable BACK UP QB, it's only going to cost us $500K or so versus what Blake would have cost us

Yep we got the same bargain with Emmitt, his actual contract is higher than his caphit for that very reason.

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
Arizona Cardinals Release QB Jeff Blake
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, February 4, 2004

“Josh McCown is our starting quarterback,” Green asserts

Well I said I keep this avatar until McCown was not the starter(Blake Preston or draftee starting) it seems I will may keeping this avatar longer than I thought.

:fans:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by casablanca
Green must have just finished watching the tapes of last year's games. I'm sure he'd release Kordell if the bears would let him.

ROTFLMAO!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
Don't you read Krang's posts? No way does Rivers last until the 2nd round.

Yeah, Krang just went through his garbage tonights and found out that he prefers the meat lovers pizza to the original handtossed :thumbup:

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
I would guess that Green's decision to cut Blake may have more to do with energizing fans, and making room to draft a franchise QB such as Eli or Ben.

The Cards have to get fans to return to the stadium to watch the game, and a young, talented QB such as Eli or Ben can generate fan interest. As much as I respect the abilities of Blake and Josh, they would have had to go on a tear--7 wins in a row, to bring Cards fans back to the stadium.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
get ready for the new jeff in town. jeff george. just spetculation. green was promoting jeff george when he was working for espnews.