OK, we got the Spurs, now what?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's official, we have the Spurs. If we win the series, is the Shaq trade officially worth it? If we lose will people look at the Shaq trade as a bomb? I know Marion was unlikely to get us past the Spurs. I am talking about the NBA pundits, who will undoubtedly point out Shaq was supposed to get us to the NBA Finals.

Any team with Tim Duncan will get a certain amount of calls in their favor. Also, props to Tim for being one of the most clutch performers in playoff history. It's going to be a war. Suns fans better stock up on the Tums! We are going to face some agonizing minutes during this series.

Reaction score
I'll tell you now what . . . nothing.

You'll never get past The Spurs.

suns might want to get their bait and tackle ready, there's going to be plenty of time to go fishing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's official, we have the Spurs. If we win the series, is the Shaq trade officially worth it? If we lose will people look at the Shaq trade as a bomb? I know Marion was unlikely to get us past the Spurs. I am talking about the NBA pundits, who will undoubtedly point out Shaq was supposed to get us to the NBA Finals.

Any team with Tim Duncan will get a certain amount of calls in their favor. Also, props to Tim for being one of the most clutch performers in playoff history. It's going to be a war. Suns fans better stock up on the Tums! We are going to face some agonizing minutes during this series.

Yes and yes. We could have lost against the Spurs while keeping Marion. If we don't beat the Spurs, then the trade becomes really dicey. I don't know if Shaq has another year in him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's interesting is that the Suns built their team around having to beat the Spurs. It's rather ironic now they have to play them in the first round with the 3/6 seedings. I don't know if the Suns are going to win the series but they certainly are better prepared this season (although IMO they should have won the playoff series last year). I do think the Suns have a better chance at beating the Spurs rather than an up tempo team like the Lakers or perhaps even a team like Denver. Now the officiating is another matter.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't fair to the Suns to validate the trade based on the results. Nobody know what would happen during the time of the trade, and the fact is the Shaq trade gave the Suns to not only have a better chance to beat the Spurs, but also to be a better playoff team.

Without the trade, the Suns simply wasn't a playoff team, and is unlikely to go through 4 7-game series against teams who are built for the specific purpose of the playoffs. The trade is already worth it, as it gave the Suns fans hope that they have a realistic chance to contend for a title.

The series will be the best 1st round series this year, which given the parity of the teams in the west, is really saying something.

May the best team win.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It isn't fair to the Suns to validate the trade based on the results. Nobody know what would happen during the time of the trade, and the fact is the Shaq trade gave the Suns to not only have a better chance to beat the Spurs, but also to be a better playoff team.

Without the trade, the Suns simply wasn't a playoff team, and is unlikely to go through 4 7-game series against teams who are built for the specific purpose of the playoffs. The trade is already worth it, as it gave the Suns fans hope that they have a realistic chance to contend for a title.

The series will be the best 1st round series this year, which given the parity of the teams in the west, is really saying something.

May the best team win.

I agree. If we lose, I may not watch any more basketball this year, because this is somewhat the NBA Finals, imho. Whoever wins is in the driver's seat, imho.

nowagimp

Reaction score
What's interesting is that the Suns built their team around having to beat the Spurs. It's rather ironic now they have to play them in the first round with the 3/6 seedings.

Actually its even more ironic that the spurs arent the team to beat anymore, except perhaps to the bottle of geritol. The spurs are the only team that is older than the suns. The lakers seem to have a clear path the the WCF. Denver cant compete with the lakers and the jazz weakness(2 guard D) is the lakers strength(2 guard O).

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The Lakers get no respect from Suns fans. We did beat them in the playoffs but this team is more gelled than previous Laker teams. You can't get more deadlier than having the best player on the planet on your team. Kobe deserves the MVP and I think the Suns should worry about that team the most if they want to make it to the Finals.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers get no respect from Suns fans. We did beat them in the playoffs but this team is more gelled than previous Laker teams. You can't get more deadlier than having the best player on the planet on your team. Kobe deserves the MVP and I think the Suns should worry about that team the most if they want to make it to the Finals.

You worry about the team that you are playing at the time the most.

nowagimp

Reaction score

I have no idea who you are responding to as I think the lakers are the "team to beat" in the WC, even without bynum.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I have no idea who you are responding to as I think the lakers are the "team to beat" in the WC, even without bynum.

I hope we get the Lakers. Would be one great ride if we beat both the Spurs and Lakers on the road to the Finals.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I hope we get the Lakers. Would be one great ride if we beat both the Spurs and Lakers on the road to the Finals.

That would be a dream scenario, the lakers look to be the best in the west, and the spurs are the nemesis from the past. Frankly I believe the suns will have to beat the lakers to get to the finals, I wouldnt have it any other way. I also think the suns match up better with the celts than the pistons.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. If we lose, I may not watch any more basketball this year, because this is somewhat the NBA Finals, imho. Whoever wins is in the driver's seat, imho.

I wouldn't go this far. There are plenty of championship caliber teams in the playoffs this year.

Other than the Spurs and the Suns, the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, and Mavs all have a great chance at winning the title.

The next level of contenders are the Hornets, Jazz and the Cavs.

Don't laugh, but if everything goes right, the Wizards have a good chance to represent the East (then get annihilated by whoever comes out of the West). If the Wiz can get past the Cavs in the first round, they will match up very well with the Celtics. If they can avoid the Pistons in the ECF, they have a good chance to get to the final. But then again, that is a LOT of ifs.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
It could very well be your time but since these games are spaced out for travel and TV, it plays right into the way Pop coaches playoffs. One can't argue his resume', if he gets what he wants...it's "one for the thumb" time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could very well be your time but since these games are spaced out for travel and TV, it plays right into the way Pop coaches playoffs. One can't argue his resume', if he gets what he wants...it's "one for the thumb" time.

I wouldn't say that Pop "gets what he wants" with the extra time. He just makes the most out of it. It's not like he tells the league that he demands that they have 3 days off in between games.

Reaction score
Spurs fan here....

As much as Shaq was brought in to match up with Duncan, I think the Spurs are going to have an advantage on the perimeter with Marion gone. He really did a nice job on Parker last year. Bell is your best perimeter defender, but he can only guard Ginobili or Parker, and he's probably going to be locked on Manu most of the time. Who is going to guard Parker? Hill did a nice job on him in the last game, but I just don't see it happening consistently over a 7 game series. I think the Spurs are going to play pick and roll with Parker and Duncan all day long and make Shaq come out of the paint. If Paker is consistently making his jumpshot and Phoenix can't slide under the pick, then the Spurs are going to be tough to beat.

nowagimp

Reaction score

The suns also want the games to be spaced, they are long in the tooth as well, nash, bell and Hill are dealing with season long healing problems. Spacing the games out will just make them heal better, it will prevent these old guys from wheezing too much during games.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Suns just have to play their game- dump the ball to Shaq and Amare in the low post and let them work. Let Shaq guard Tim one-on-one. Duncan has always been Shaq's little bitch, and I have no reason to believe this series will be any different.

As far as Manu and Parker go, Between Giricek, Bell and Hill guarding them, and Amare and Shaq waiting in the paint, they shouldn't be as big of a problem as they were in the past. Additionally, since there will be no need to double Duncan, it should eliminate easy points for those guys.

I like this match-up, I really do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs fan here....

As much as Shaq was brought in to match up with Duncan, I think the Spurs are going to have an advantage on the perimeter with Marion gone. He really did a nice job on Parker last year. Bell is your best perimeter defender, but he can only guard Ginobili or Parker, and he's probably going to be locked on Manu most of the time. Who is going to guard Parker? Hill did a nice job on him in the last game, but I just don't see it happening consistently over a 7 game series. I think the Spurs are going to play pick and roll with Parker and Duncan all day long and make Shaq come out of the paint. If Paker is consistently making his jumpshot and Phoenix can't slide under the pick, then the Spurs are going to be tough to beat.

i think you overrate Marion's impact, but kudos for the screen name!

I'll say this about this series, I don't think either set of fans or coaches wanted to see this matchup in the first round.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Spurs fan here....

a big difference with shaq though is that our perimeter defenders no longer have to double down. we cover timmy one-on-one with shaq now. that allows all of other perimeter defenders to stay home more. nash always had one foot towards help post defense. now i'm not arguing that nash is a good defender, but he'll be incrementally better than in the past, and that's shown up in the past few games. also, nash can play up on parker's jumper more knowing that parker doesn't have a free path to the basket with shaq back there taking up space as much as blocking shots.

and you can look at my posts from last year to see that i wasn't a big fan of marion's perimeter defense on points. i thought it a gimmick that worked on sam cassell and no one else. so i see it as a gain that he won't be guarding parker.

finally in regards to grant hill, if you'll note, dantoni didn't have him guard parker the whole game, but rather more in the 4th quarter. thus he was kept fresh for the most of the game guarding a sedentary bowen and could really focus his defensive effort on parker in the 4th where the suns pulled away in both of the last two games against the spurs. i'm sure that dantoni will do the same in this series. in fact, we're lucky that you don't really have a premier scoring threat at the 3 as it will allow hill to rest and play the passing lanes on defense, conserving energy for the offensive end of the court and pressing parker in the 4th. also, i like hill on parker more than marion b/c marion relied so much on his athleticism that if you faked him, you could take advantage of him. hill relies more on length, guile, and savvy. he doesn't get pump faked into the air as did marion. he just recognizes his 8 inch height advantage over tony and stays put.

shaq ended up helping our defense more than anyone could have imagined b/c it allowed all of our players to defend the right guy rather than struggling with mismatches. if anything, we are now the team that imposes the mismatch rather than reacting to it.

now if parker is hitting his J consistently, yeah, we'll struggle, but in the past he's beaten us with layups. i'll take my chances with his inconsistent J verses layups. you won't be seeing the same suns team that you've faced in playoffs prior. whereas we really have the book on your spurs (for all the good that's done us in the past).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns have wanted this grudge match for a full year. Getting revenge for last year's debacle has been their top priority, and they have been more focused in their games against the Spurs than against any other team in the league.

The Spurs aren't just another elite team, or even just another defending champion. They are a deeply depised bully that cheats and gets away with it. The Suns have drawn up their plans, hired reinforcements, and appealed to their higher powers. This is THE series of the D'Antoni/Nash era, and everyone on the roster knows it.

If the Suns prevail, I won't be surprised at all to see a massive psychological letdown in the next round. If they lose, it will devastate the franchise. It's almost a no-win scenario, but it's like one of those movie scenes where the good guy is mortally wounded but has one more bullet in his gun, and uses it to take out the bad guy just before he himself expires.

Winning this series won't provide the Suns with anything more than a moral victory, but it's all they have left.

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns just need to play the Spurs like they have the last few times in the regular season. I think they are talented enough to find a way to beat the Spurs four times.

This series could be really important to decide whether Duncan or Shaq is the most dominant player of this era too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05