OK, we got the Spurs, now what?

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score
Shaq has always guarded Duncan well 1v1. And judging from what I've seen this season, that hasn't changed. Maybe it's just the massive frame Shaq has and his intimidating nature. But you can always count on Duncan to start settling for jumpers when Shaq D's him up, instead of getting those easy 2 ft hook shots that he seems to hit automatically.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Shaq has always guarded Duncan well 1v1. And judging from what I've seen this season, that hasn't changed. Maybe it's just the massive frame Shaq has and his intimidating nature. But you can always count on Duncan to start settling for jumpers when Shaq D's him up, instead of getting those easy 2 ft hook shots that he seems to hit automatically.

In Game 6 last year, Duncan pushed KT around and got him into foul trouble. TD was just too physical for the Suns and no one was tall enough to bother his double pivot foot turn around jumper.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol What are you talking about? There's lots of great members there.

I know. I have had some meaningful conversations with some of them during last year's playoffs.

The ones that wanted to debate with "a Suns fan" in an intelligent manner were few and far between though.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i wish the refs would take note of timmy's D.
where one arm goes for the ball, BUT the other arm is down low.
he always gets away with it.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
to your first sentence... gotcha.

to your second, this isn't the best matchup in all of the NBA in the first round. This is the best matchup in NBA history in the first round. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another matchup in the first round that a) has this kind of history and b) where the two teams with such history have even close to the aggregate records that our two teams have.

Great for the rest of the league, but sucks for us as far as I'm concerned. The playoffs are hard enough on my psyche. I don't need to be in WCF-mode from day one, which is what we're gonna be in.
I guess you can look at it two ways. Sucks if we lose. It's great if we win because we won't have SA looming in our path as the play offs go on.

Really, this year I am hoping teams like Chris Paul's team get knocked off before we play them. The speedy PG teams have been giving us more trouble than the big front line teams since we got Shaq. (With maybe the exception of the Pistons in the East)

Not saying Parker hasn't lit us up, but he's been more contained by Nash lately. Chris Paul just lights Nash up, imho.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you can look at it two ways. Sucks if we lose. It's great if we win because we won't have SA looming in our path as the play offs go on.

Really, this year I am hoping teams like Chris Paul's team get knocked off before we play them. The speedy PG teams have been giving us more trouble than the big front line teams since we got Shaq. (With maybe the exception of the Pistons in the East)

Not saying Parker hasn't lit us up, but he's been more contained by Nash lately. Chris Paul just lights Nash up, imho.

I have said it time and time again. The Hornets are the only team I am deathly afraid of this year. The problem with that, is that they will be our next round opponent if both teams make it that far.

Reaction score
Look, I'm not a spurs hater at all (bruce bowen is a different story). I have great respect for their teams and more so the way they play the game. But spurs fans, the lakers clearly had a huge intimidation factor going vs. your teams for that 5 year span, don't you agree? I know because I was in you boat for those 5 years rooting big time for the spurs.

The weird thing about this spurs mini-dynasty is that they got to the top by being really really good then achieved the strong mentality (Which naturally comes with the confidence of winning many titles). Most teams go the other way around. Remember in '05 when they almost blew a series to a detroit team they were better than. In the pivotol game 5 duncan missed freethrows and a layup to win it and it was Horry that bailed them out (or sheed's horrific mistake).

The spurs are incredibly mentally strong now, but it came as a result of the damn superior teams they put on the floor.
Thanks for bringing up all of those painful Laker/Spurs memories. The Lakers had a slight intimidation factor on the Spurs, but I think it was more about talent. The Spurs completely rebuilt their roster while the Lakers were on their roll. They went from the Duncan/Robinson/Elliott Spurs to the Duncan/Parker/Ginobili Spurs. That 1999 team was as mentally tough as you will ever find -- Mario Elie, Avery Johnson, etc. -- but they got old. The Spurs were very unathletic in 2001 (see an ancient Steve Smith with no knees trying to guard Kobe after Derek Anderson was taken out of the playoffs by Juwan Howard), and they started to get better athletes on the perimeter in 2002 (Parker, Bowen, Stephen Jackson). Interestingly, the only remaining player from the 1999 championship team today is Duncan.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What effect will Brent Barry have in the series?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tim Duncan, in 25 playoff games against Shaquille O'Neal's teams:

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

those are excellent numbers, but the bolded FG% is what really jumps out at me. if shaq is able to limit timmy's FG% it frees up the rest of our defenders so that they don't have to double, making our defense much, much better than you've seen in the past. in fact, that number alone may be the most important of this series.

Last edited:

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Anyone know if Cheap Shot Rob will be making an appearance? Or will be riding the bench with a bum knee?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone know if Cheap Shot Rob will be making an appearance? Or will be riding the bench with a bum knee?

if he doesn't play skinner should hip check him into the stanchion while he's standing around in warmups.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the thread question.........."now what"?

We simply go out and kick there ass.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I HATE that we get a freaking noon game, we never seem to play well on midday games. Whatever guess we will have to see what happens, but I won't be shocked by a loss. This game should be in PRIME TIME its a joke that its a noon game, best matchup in the first round gets a noon game?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE that we get a freaking noon game, we never seem to play well on midday games. Whatever guess we will have to see what happens, but I won't be shocked by a loss. This game should be in PRIME TIME its a joke that its a noon game, best matchup in the first round gets a noon game?

you're kidding, right? Any game on ABC, Nationally televised for everyone is the prestige game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we can't win at noon on a Saturday, then we have no business being in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can't win at noon on a Saturday, then we have no business being in the playoffs.

agreed. if that's a "legit" excuse (especially since Spurs fans... and probably all fans say the same thing) then it's just that, an excuse.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree as well. It should be a non-factor. Although, I admit that the Suns record on nationally televised games is a bit concerning this year. That's what I love about the playoffs. Put up or shut up.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
When we beat the Spurs a month ago to turn our season around, it was an ABC game at noon. We wore orange jerseys too!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So game 1 is not only on the road, nationally televised, and starting at noon (AZ), but the referee crew consists of our pal Bennett Salvatore, Tony Brothers, and Mike Callahan.

A lot of obstacles to overcome, but I think the Suns are up to the challenge.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
So game 1 is not only on the road, nationally televised, and starting at noon (AZ), but the referee crew consists of our pal Bennett Salvatore, Tony Brothers, and Mike Callahan.

A lot of obstacles to overcome, but I think the Suns are up to the challenge.

Oh crap. Brothers? How the hell does this guy get to work the playoffs? I thought this guy was shaving harder than Donagy... before Donagy got caught.

Bennett Salvatore is no better. No comment on Callahan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05