Old Gambo Rumor

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Last night on Fox Sports Arizona, Gambo claimed that the Suns were going to trade KT. He seemed rather certain. I don't understand the reasoning there (on the Suns' part) at all... :confused:

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
According to Gambo, the Suns are going to trade a big, Thomas, for another big.
Doesn't make much sense to me unless they want to trim more payroll.

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
mark1 said:
According to Gambo, the Suns are going to trade a big, Thomas, for another big.
Doesn't make much sense to me unless they want to trim more payroll.

It better be a really compelling trade then--like a really promising younger big man. But KT worked well for the Suns, and Amare only wanted KT last summer, so why pull the plug now? There's a story there we're not hearing...

blillyl

Reaction score
Its kind of like the Florida Marlins. Get rid of all the payroll.

Kolo

Reaction score
Salary-wise right now, Joe Smith fits and his contract is up after this year. Sign and trade for close to equal starting salary, Drew Gooden--I could see Cleveland being interested in getting KT, maybe if we sweeten the pot with a pick. Sign and trade and cut payroll, Mel Ely--Charlotte might be interested in KT, but I doubt it. I like any of them on this team better than KT (especially Gooden), but I know I'm in the minority.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Gooden could put up good numbers here, but if I remember correctly he isn't exactly a strong defender. I also wonder whether his agent will take anything less than $8-9 million per season. I have a feeling that if the Phoenix Suns actually to tread Kurt Thomas I'm not going to like the deal.

Joe

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I agree Joe. Joe Smith or Drew Gooden, whatever their merits, are not adequate replacements for KT.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Let's not forget how Gambo's last rumor panned out...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Muggum said:
Let's not forget how Gambo's last rumor panned out...

Actually, it panned out very well. He told us that the Salmon trade was pending and it was. Everyone in the front office thought it was.

The Salmon fiasco has pretty much confirmed again that when Gambo reports something like this, he's not just blowing smoke.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blillyl said:
Its kind of like the Florida Marlins. Get rid of all the payroll.

Yep, expect Amare, Marion, and Nash to be next.

:doi:

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
The Gambo rumor I saw was the following, which turned out not to be true:

Gambo said last night on the "ASR" that the Suns are 24 to 48 hours away from a trade with an eastern conference team that would bring a back up PG and a back up PF/Center to Phoenix.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Actually, it panned out very well. He told us that the Salmon trade was pending and it was. Everyone in the front office thought it was.

The Salmon fiasco has pretty much confirmed again that when Gambo reports something like this, he's not just blowing smoke.

He said it was a done deal in 24-48 hours! Is Salmons signed up??

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
So Gambo hasn't been infallible. Whatever. The point is that he's asserting that the Suns are on the verge of trading our starting center, and there is a real chance he might be correct. Something we might want to think about....

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It better be a REAL good trade. When we had KT in the lineup the Suns rocked recordwise.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to Gambo yesterday. I swear that he and Ash just sit there and look down a list of free agents, trade possibilities, salaries, and statistics and come up with half of this stuff on their own. I'm sure he does have a decent source inside the organization, but I don't think that's where all of this stuff comes from. I listened to him come up with Chucky Atkins and get more sold all of it as the show went on yesterday.

Joe

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I listened to Gambo yesterday. I swear that he and Ash just sit there and look down a list of free agents, trade possibilities, salaries, and statistics and come up with half of this stuff on their own. I'm sure he does have a decent source inside the organization, but I don't think that's where all of this stuff comes from. I listened to him come up with Chucky Atkins and get more sold all of it as the show went on yesterday.

Joe

You're right about his chatter about Atkins, Joe. But on FSA last night, he wasn't just chattering on the radio, he was quite certain.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
We did play well with KT, but he never seemed to 'fit,' in the sense that he always stuck out like a sore thumb on our running-and-gunning squad. Kinda like that old bit on Sesame Street, 'Which of these things is not like the others?' And he's expensive. And D'Antoni left him on the bench for the Mavs series.

Gambo's false rumors aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him. Steven Hunter, anyone?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe

They will usually tell you when they are just speculating and when they have information from a source.

The Atkins stuff, was just speculation. Seems I remember Ash saying "we have no idea on this one, we are just looking at rosters."

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Muggum said:
We did play well with KT, but he never seemed to 'fit,' in the sense that he always stuck out like a sore thumb on our running-and-gunning squad. Kinda like that old bit on Sesame Street, 'Which of these things is not like the others?' And he's expensive. And D'Antoni left him on the bench for the Mavs series.

Gambo's false rumors aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him. Steven Hunter, anyone?

If you play and the team wins then you fit. PERIOD

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
didnt we play .500 ball with KT out last year? and i believe we were top 10 in defense with KT in the first half of the season. sure he's getting up there in age but every big man nowadays wants 10mil+...its rediculous...also gooden is looking for nene type money. no thanks

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Joe Mama said:

Joe

So Gambo and Ash are a live chat message board?:lmao:

I don't get good enough reception in Globe to here the nonsense luckily. Instead I frequent message boards for the same stuff and often give my own GM mastery. ;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix has definitely inquired about Drew Gooden. If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland is under the cap with 10 contracts and 1 qualifying offer to Gooden for about $5 million.

It was reported back in May that Gooden wanted 35/5. It's now believed he wants close to Nene money, and talks are going slow. If the Suns wanted to do a sign-and-trade, I don't believe they'd have to return a matching salary, but they would have to send away a player to avoid hitting the luxury tax. Also, the Cavs may want a big in return, and I can't imagine them wanting anyone but KT to replace Gooden's rebounding.

FWIW, I think Gooden is a better defender than he's given credit for, but he does struggle against bigger players. He's not a stalwart ... but that's really only because he's a smaller power forward ... 6-10/230 with good quicks and hops. He's a good rebounder at both ends and is potentially a very special offensive player. He could do a lot of the things Amare does in this offense. He has that same devastating spin move to boot.

Last edited:

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
sadly the only good local sports talk show is gambo and ash. and what pisses me off most is they spend 5 min of each 15 min segment plugging some stupid crap. ya ya i know radio is all about advertising but come on, talk some freakin sports. i dont need to be told every 20 min where u guys are at and then go on a 5 min plug on how good the food is or how this place has some great specials! ie..HOF collectibles, lund cadillac, e&j's, gemcutters. its the same damn thing every week!

i enjoy their show when they actually talk sports, which is few are far between, but its a helluva better than bickley and mj. bickley is funny sometimes but mj just seems to hate all AZ sports. so much negativity coming from that show sometimes. espn radio's afternoon shows are pretty bad too. and KUDS, geeze, i bet a couple guys from these boards could put on a better show than those clowns. talk about dry.

little OT i guess but im tired listening to crap for local radio. rome, dan and cowherd are the only thing that keeps me sane. i used to listen to dan alot more because of some big interviews he gets but he talks about baseball a little too much for me. cowherd is just all over the place and is pretty entertaining at least. rome is definately an aquired taste, but he keeps my laughing quite a bit, especially when he pulls out the human buzzer.