Old Gambo Rumor

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Gooden on the Suns? Where do I sign?

Many of you are VASTLY underrating him. This is a guy who has averaged 12 and 8 while only playing about 25 min a game. He can run, hit the open J, and is a decent defender. His numbers would improve in this system.

Thats exactly what im thinking

Gooden has the tools to be a border line allstar, and i think playing with Nash in this offense can bring it out of him.

I could see Gooden averaging 15/10 with us, to go with Amare's 20+/8, Marions 18/10+ and Diaw's 15/6/6.

Thats the best forward rotation in the NBA by far.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Either everyone on this board severly underrates KT or they severly overrate Drew Gooden. This is what happens when you notice flashes of box scores at the bottom of the ESPN ticker and make assumptions on how good a player is by this route instead of actually watching games. Kurt Thomas is EXACTLY what this team needs and at a decent price. There are no stats that indicate how good of post defense you play, how many shots you cause to be taken outside of the pain because of your presence and how many rebounds you allow other players to get because you box out.

I wouldnt trade Drew Gooden for Kurt Thomas straight up. Not even close. Now throw in Damon Jones and another pick and then we can start talking.......

Wow. You're right. I never watch any games. Actually, I've never even seen Gooden play. :sarcasm:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Thats exactly what im thinking

Gooden has the tools to be a border line allstar, and i think playing with Nash in this offense can bring it out of him.

I could see Gooden averaging 15/10 with us, to go with Amare's 20+/8, Marions 18/10+ and Diaw's 15/6/6.

Thats the best forward rotation in the NBA by far.

the only problem with that is that is has to be the forward AND CENTER rotation. gooden at center makes me shudder.

NastyOne

Reaction score
For the people that value Kurt Thomas, do you actually see him staying healthy playing in our offense?

I just posted the numbers for you.

In the last 6 seasons before last seaon playing with New York in one of the slowest offenses the NBA's ever seen, Kurt Thomas never missed more than 5 games during that stretch.

Hes going to be 34 years old in October, and during this past season he missed 29 games with a leg injury and all of the playoffs, trying to play our tempo.

Does anyone see him staying healthy playing our style of basketball? Or are we going to pay him $8Mil to play 15mpg to keep him healthy?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
For the people that value Kurt Thomas, do you actually see him staying healthy playing in our offense?

I just posted the numbers for you.

In the last 6 seasons before last seaon playing with New York in one of the slowest offenses the NBA's ever seen, Kurt Thomas never missed more than 5 games during that stretch.

Hes going to be 34 years old in October, and during this past season he missed 29 games with a leg injury and all of the playoffs, trying to play our tempo.

Does anyone see him staying healthy playing our style of basketball? Or are we going to pay him $8Mil to play 15mpg to keep him healthy?

i think with amare's return and diaw's continued emergence kt will have to play less minutes and the reduction in minutes will likely make injury less likely. he's an important part of the team b/c he can play legit mins at C, even if he's undersized, which none of the rest of our guys (even amare) SHOULD be doing in an ideal situation.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
the only problem with that is that is has to be the forward AND CENTER rotation. gooden at center makes me shudder.

Our team doesnt require a true center to win games.

Kurt Thomas is no more of a center than Drew Gooden.

Gooden is a better rebounder, more athletic and has more height, Thomas is stronger and defends the post better.

We almost won with Diaw and Tim Thomas playing center.

With Amare returning, Gooden,Marion and Diaw would be the best front court rotation we've ever had.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i think with amare's return and diaw's continued emergence kt will have to play less minutes and the reduction in minutes will likely make injury less likely. he's an important part of the team b/c he can play legit mins at C, even if he's undersized, which none of the rest of our guys (even amare) SHOULD be doing in an ideal situation.

So you think Kurt Thomas will be worth his contract playing less than 20mpg?

His numbers will look horrible next to his salary if hes not getting legit minutes.And if he gets legit minutes, he'll probably suffer another injury.

I think Thomas fate was sealed when D'Antoni didnt play him during the playoffs when he was supposedly healthy against the Mavs.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
gooden at center makes me shudder.
Not that Gooden playing center is my ideal situation, but he'd be better at it than Tim Thomas, who logged more than a few minutes at that position in the playoffs. There's also part of me that would love to see Avery try and match up on defense with a front line of Diaw, Amare, and Gooden ... and possibly Marion logging time at the 2.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Drew Gooden scares the hell out of me.

It's not even his attitude issues, or his gargantuan posse: it's his situation in Cleveland, standing between Ilgauskas and LeBron. That's the same spot from which Carlos Boozer got massively overpaid in FA, and the Cavs seem to have no problem turning that spot over to Varejao rather than meet (or even seriously consider) Gooden's contract demands.

It's not like Gooden made a positive impression when he played for Memphis or Orlando. Take him away from his current spot, and the real Gooden shows up--decent rebounder, average scorer, below-average shooter, poor defender. And of course, if he goes to the Suns, you're talking about paying $8m/yr or more for a backup.

Seriously, I would rather the Suns pay to dump KT's contract than have them bring in Gooden and have to nickle-and-dime Boris Diaw as a result.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Not that Gooden playing center is my ideal situation, but he'd be better at it than Tim Thomas, who logged more than a few minutes at that position in the playoffs.

That's why the Suns dumped Tim Thomas. :|

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Drew Gooden scares the hell out of me.

It's not even his attitude issues, or his gargantuan posse: it's his situation in Cleveland, standing between Ilgauskas and LeBron. That's the same spot from which Carlos Boozer got massively overpaid in FA, and the Cavs seem to have no problem turning that spot over to Varejao rather than meet (or even seriously consider) Gooden's contract demands.

It's not like Gooden made a positive impression when he played for Memphis or Orlando. Take him away from his current spot, and the real Gooden shows up--decent rebounder, average scorer, below-average shooter, poor defender. And of course, if he goes to the Suns, you're talking about paying $8m/yr or more for a backup.

Seriously, I would rather the Suns pay to dump KT's contract than have them bring in Gooden and have to nickle-and-dime Boris Diaw as a result.

Well said. Yeah, Gooden can score and rebound, but to my mind KT did something truly unique in recent Suns experience--he played post defense and boxed out. Gooden does not inspire confidence that he can defend the post with the skill that KT brings. There may be someone else out there who can do it for the Suns, but this guy doesn't sound like the one to me....

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
haverford said:
So Gambo hasn't been infallible. Whatever. The point is that he's asserting that the Suns are on the verge of trading our starting center, and there is a real chance he might be correct. Something we might want to think about....

I don't consider Thomas our starting center anymore. Diaw is a starter period.

NastyOne

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
That's why the Suns dumped Tim Thomas. :|

Yeah the Suns dumped TT :p

More like they lowballed him and he said "Screw Loyalty" and bolted on our ass for more money.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Yeah the Suns dumped TT :p

More like they lowballed him and he said "Screw Loyalty" and bolted on our ass for more money.

Actually they lowballed him, he got an offer and he still gave them a choice of signing him for $4 mil. less than than the Clips offered.

Then they offered John Salmons basically the same amount.:shrug:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw Gambo on TV last night. For some reason, he still thinks KT40 will be traded this year. :shrug:

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For everybody bringing up Scot Pollard - just stop already. The guy is done.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Dan H said:
For everybody bringing up Scot Pollard - just stop already. The guy is done.

How's he done? Did he announce his retirement?

Cause last i checked he was 31years old and thats younger than our own Kurt Thomas, and he bust his ass every single second hes on the court.

The way he dives for loose balls, and attacks the glass on rebounds and every other hustle play he makes, his game hypes his teammates up and also make them play harder.

Even when hes not in the game, hes on the sidelines waving a towel showing support for the guys on the floor.

Hes a way better version of Bo Outlaw, and i love players like that on the end of the bench.

I would love Scot Pollard to sign for the Vet Min.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
As much as I like Gooden, I tend to agree with this perspective, although KT is not worth Gooden and Jones. Furthermore, I don't think the Suns could take back all that salary under the cap rules.

They can if Damon Jones makes less then $3.6 million this year, in which case they could do 2 smaller deals to equal to a big one.

Sign and trade for Gooden with KT & draft pick
Get Damon Jones via trade exemption

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jlove said:
But, as previously posted by myself, I'd love to get Ely and Knight from Charlotte for KT. I'd even settle for Brecec instead of Ely, but I feel Ely would be the better fit here. I also would throw in at least a 2nd rounder in the deal or possibly either OUR pick or Cavs pick next year. Yes, I have a fascination with Ely. I think in our system that he would blow up, like a semi-Amare way. Same with Wilcox, but he's asking for a LOT more money than Ely will.

If they view Ely as a dirt worker type (as KT is) this would honestly be a trade that makes sense for both sides. The Bobcats don't really seem to be that highly interested in re-signing Ely and have been trying to trade Knight for a while. In taking on KT's contract, they get a contract that (a) lets them get close to the salary cap floor and (b) gives them a contract that expires in a short span of time

Of course this all relies upon the Suns having an interest in Ely and Ely's willingness to take a deal that starts off at $3.5 million a year. Neither of these things are givens though

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
If they view Ely as a dirt worker type (as KT is) this would honestly be a trade that makes sense for both sides. The Bobcats don't really seem to be that highly interested in re-signing Ely and have been trying to trade Knight for a while. In taking on KT's contract, they get a contract that (a) lets them get close to the salary cap floor and (b) gives them a contract that expires in a short span of time

Of course this all relies upon the Suns having an interest in Ely and Ely's willingness to take a deal that starts off at $3.5 million a year. Neither of these things are givens though

I've watched Ely for a while too. He was quite productive in college. My problem with this is that Knight is a smallish, half-court, type of pg. I can't see him fitting in our system.

We really need a swing defender who can handle pg duties.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I've watched Ely for a while too. He was quite productive in college. My problem with this is that Knight is a smallish, half-court, type of pg. I can't see him fitting in our system.

We really need a swing defender who can handle pg duties.

The problem is those aren't exactly easy to find.

If we were to do this trade, we could add another swingman (ie Jumaine Jones) via the MLE or trade exemption. Wouldn't it be weird if that actually happened though? Having what would be considered to be a successful offseason based on getting 3 players from the Bobcats

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
How's he done? Did he announce his retirement?

Cause last i checked he was 31years old and thats younger than our own Kurt Thomas, and he bust his ass every single second hes on the court.

The way he dives for loose balls, and attacks the glass on rebounds and every other hustle play he makes, his game hypes his teammates up and also make them play harder.

Even when hes not in the game, hes on the sidelines waving a towel showing support for the guys on the floor.

Hes a way better version of Bo Outlaw, and i love players like that on the end of the bench.

I would love Scot Pollard to sign for the Vet Min.

You keep harping on the games that KT missed as a reason to get rid of him. Pollard missed 37 games last year, and he has a creaky back.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Dan H said:
You keep harping on the games that KT missed as a reason to get rid of him. Pollard missed 37 games last year, and he has a creaky back.

We would not be paying Pollard $8Mil a season, and he wouldnt even be top 8 in our rotation.

He would be making the Vet Min and getting 10mpg off the end of the bench.

The situations are not even remotely close.