Old Gambo Rumor

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Drew Gooden could put up good numbers here, but if I remember correctly he isn't exactly a strong defender. I also wonder whether his agent will take anything less than $8-9 million per season. I have a feeling that if the Phoenix Suns actually to tread Kurt Thomas I'm not going to like the deal.

Joe

agreed. smells like doing a deal just to do a deal. i think kurt has a place on a championship run. all teams seem to have dirt workers on the way to championships.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Muggum said:
We did play well with KT, but he never seemed to 'fit,' in the sense that he always stuck out like a sore thumb on our running-and-gunning squad. Kinda like that old bit on Sesame Street, 'Which of these things is not like the others?' And he's expensive. And D'Antoni left him on the bench for the Mavs series.

Gambo's false rumors aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him. Steven Hunter, anyone?

No thanks, Hunter is a major downgrade from KT in the post on D, and on offense. I dont care about the shotblocking, hunter cant rebound, either.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I think what might have happened, is that the Suns were in talks with Philly about Salmons and Hunter, but it was on a pending multi team (at least 3) trade including Boston. My reasoning is, all we would have had to give up was KT. But talks obviously switched when Boston wanted to get involved and there was a player on Boston that Phoenix wanted. There was something written that a trade was going to happen, but Phoenix wanted a Boston player in the deal. Something about us not wanting to help Boston or something to that effect. What I was thinking when that happened was, it was originally gonna be KT for Hunter and Salmons, but when Boston got involved, Phoenix wanted to change it up to get Salmons and Jefferson or Perkins, sending Hunter to Boston in the deal. I think Boston was trying to get AI from Philly and couldn't get Hunter deal into the mix for them. In that case, Gambo would have been right saying that the Suns were close to a deal for a center and PG. Then, when that broke all broke down, the Suns tried to just get Salmons, and we all know what happed with that. Just my 2 cents. I used to think Gambo was just a bunch of hot air, but in the past couple of years, his credibility has shot up with calling trades and player movement before anyone else in the media.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
But, as previously posted by myself, I'd love to get Ely and Knight from Charlotte for KT. I'd even settle for Brecec instead of Ely, but I feel Ely would be the better fit here. I also would throw in at least a 2nd rounder in the deal or possibly either OUR pick or Cavs pick next year. Yes, I have a fascination with Ely. I think in our system that he would blow up, like a semi-Amare way. Same with Wilcox, but he's asking for a LOT more money than Ely will.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Phoenix has definitely inquired about Drew Gooden. If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland is under the cap with 10 contracts and 1 qualifying offer to Gooden for about $5 million.

It was reported back in May that Gooden wanted 35/5. It's now believed he wants close to Nene money, and talks are going slow. If the Suns wanted to do a sign-and-trade, I don't believe they'd have to return a matching salary, but they would have to send away a player to avoid hitting the luxury tax. Also, the Cavs may want a big in return, and I can't imagine them wanting anyone but KT to replace Gooden's rebounding.

FWIW, I think Gooden is a better defender than he's given credit for, but he does struggle against bigger players. He's not a stalwart ... but that's really only because he's a smaller power forward ... 6-10/230 with good quicks and hops. He's a good rebounder at both ends and is potentially a very special offensive player. He could do a lot of the things Amare does in this offense. He has that same devastating spin move to boot.

Gooden is a "poor mans amare" with some of the same weaknesses on D. Both can block shots, but struggle with positioning in the post on defense against PF's and C's. Ironically, that is what KT does very well, so it sounds like KT is more complementary to amare skill wise than Gooden. And dont think that Amare doesnt know this.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
AND all this talk of Gooden would be awesome, BUT he's wants Nene money just like Wilcox. Second, he's a SF/PF not a center. That being said, Amare would have to play the center position, thus leaving Amare less free space to work. I think he HAS to play PF rather than center this year, because he'll take less pounding game to game as a PF than he would a center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
agreed. smells like doing a deal just to do a deal. i think kurt has a place on a championship run. all teams seem to have dirt workers on the way to championships.

I really doubt they would trade Kurt just to do a deal. I have had my doubts about whether Kurt is in DAntoni's plans since the playoffs. Once he came back and was healthy, MD didn't give him any minutes to speak of.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Can I just say 3 words?

60 Win Pace

That's what we were on when he got injured, WITHOUT Amare.

Now, I can see us asking about trading him. Heck, I can see us trading him. But some of these posts about how he doesn't "fit in" are ridiculous.

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Can I just say 3 words?

60 Win Pace

Now, I can see us asking about trading him. Heck, I can see us trading him. But some of these posts about how he doesn't "fit in" are ridiculous.

I agree absolutely Chap. So what the hell can the Suns be thinking, IF Gambo is at all right (meaning the trade might not happen, but they are shopping him)? Who is a plausible replacement for KT?

asudevil83

Reaction score
i just thought this guy up for ***** and giggles:

Suns trade:
KT, Jones, 2007 Second

Suns get:
Gooden (5 year $40mil), Diener

Magic trade:
Dooling, Diener

Magic get:
Jones, 2007 Second

Cavs trade:
Gooden (5 year $40mil)

Cavs get:
Thomas, Dooling

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
I say trade Kurt Thomas for Drew Gooden and then sign Scot Pollard.

That way we gain more offense,rebounding and defense.

Pollard plays just as good of defense as Thomas and he rebounds well for the short amount of minutes he plays, and he gives us better size in the post to go with his junkyard never quit mentality.(I really love how Pollard plays off the bench!)

And Gooden would flourish in our wide open jail break offense lead by Nash.

Another idea is trade Kurt Thomas and a draft pick to Indiana for Jeff Foster and Anthony Johnson.(Kill two birds with one stone)

Then we still sign Scot Pollard ;)

NastyOne

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i just thought this guy up for ***** and giggles:

Suns trade:
KT, Jones, 2007 Second

Suns get:
Gooden (5 year $40mil), Diener

Magic trade:
Dooling, Diener

Magic get:
Jones, 2007 Second

Cavs trade:
Gooden (5 year $40mil)

Cavs get:
Thomas, Dooling

Sign me up, but would the Magics go for that? I know the Suns and Cavs would probably agree to that trade.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cavs get screwed in that trade. Gooden is worth much more than Thomas.

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Gooden, Foster, and Pollard do not, individually or even collectively, give us what KT gives us. I'm curious too about the apparent disregard, again if this is any truth to the rumor, why the Suns would do away with one of Amare's requests for help from last summer. Has there been a change in thinking about Amare's game, or is KT now truly damaged goods (i.e., not the same player they traded for last summer).....?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Sign me up, but would the Magics go for that? I know the Suns and Cavs would probably agree to that trade.

Honestly, I don't hink Gooden would take the 5/$40. With this trade the Suns could go MAX 5/$48. As far as the Magic, if they'd do it? Why wouldn't they. Diener isn't in their plans, he's a 3rd string PG for them, and Dooling is 4th string PG, and 2nd string SG. They get Jones who can play the 2/3/4. He can be their 2nd string SG, AND back-up at SF/PF. So, why wouldn't they like this deal?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Can I just say 3 words?

60 Win Pace

i agree with chap.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, getting rid of KT is not the best move. Only under one condition would I think this was a good idea - in return we get a fantastic Backup PG. This season, I think Steve Nash is going to need some significant rest. Also, when he leaves the floor, the rythm of our offense leaves. We need a good backup PG! Not a stiff underneath. KT is a good solid player - why trade him for the unknown?

NastyOne

Reaction score
haverford said:
IMHO, Gooden, Foster, and Pollard do not, individually or even collectively, give us what KT gives us.

Yeah they give us more.

Trading for Gooden and signing Pollard would make us a better rebounding team, and we wouldnt lose much defense cause Pollard plays just as good of defense as Thomas, plus hes taller and stronger and leaves everything out on the court.

And if we trade Thomas for Foster and A.Johnson and still signed Pollard, we become a way better rebounding team since Foster is one of the best rebounders in the NBA per minute.And i already wrote what i think about Pollard.

asudevil83

Reaction score
jlove said:
Honestly, I don't hink Gooden would take the 5/$40. With this trade the Suns could go MAX 5/$48. As far as the Magic, if they'd do it? Why wouldn't they. Diener isn't in their plans, he's a 3rd string PG for them, and Dooling is 4th string PG, and 2nd string SG. They get Jones who can play the 2/3/4. He can be their 2nd string SG, AND back-up at SF/PF. So, why wouldn't they like this deal?

Drew Gooden's worth is $40mil. the suns could probably go as high as $45mil.

and i dont think the cavs get screwed in this deal at all. Thomas is more suited for a slower paced offense. not to say that the cavs are slow, but they are certainly slower than the suns. the cavs are also a little desperate for a PG/SG. Hughes is often injured, Snow is nothing on offense and is old, and Jones is extremely inconsistant. Dooling gives them a cheap contract and would give them some good quality minutes.

NastyOne

Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
As others have mentioned, getting rid of KT is not the best move. Only under one condition would I think this was a good idea - in return we get a fantastic Backup PG. This season, I think Steve Nash is going to need some significant rest. Also, when he leaves the floor, the rythm of our offense leaves. We need a good backup PG! Not a stiff underneath. KT is a good solid player - why trade him for the unknown?

Agreed, but if we can trade Thomas for Gooden or Jeff Foster, i think we're getting an upgrade.

Both are more athletic than Thomas, both make less money, both are younger and both are better rebounders.

And i think Kurt Thomas needs to play on a half court team again like Indiana or Cleveland or he'll get hurt once again during some point of the season.

This is a guy getting up there in age, and has always played on slow teams, now hes being asked to run with us and he gets hurt.

He's never missed more than 5 games in the past 6 seasons playing in a snail like offense with New York, and boom he comes to the most explosive offense in the NBA and he misses almost 30 games.

Anyone really believe he'll stay healthy playing at our pace?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Gooden on the Suns? Where do I sign?

Many of you are VASTLY underrating him. This is a guy who has averaged 12 and 8 while only playing about 25 min a game. He can run, hit the open J, and is a decent defender. His numbers would improve in this system.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Gooden on the Suns? Where do I sign?

Many of you are VASTLY underrating him. This is a guy who has averaged 12 and 8 while only playing about 25 min a game. He can run, hit the open J, and is a decent defender. His numbers would improve in this system.

Not to mention if the unthinkable happened and Amare's return suffered a major setback, Gooden is a nice Amare insurance policy for the future of this team -- at almost half the going Amare rate.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Either everyone on this board severly underrates KT or they severly overrate Drew Gooden. This is what happens when you notice flashes of box scores at the bottom of the ESPN ticker and make assumptions on how good a player is by this route instead of actually watching games. Kurt Thomas is EXACTLY what this team needs and at a decent price. There are no stats that indicate how good of post defense you play, how many shots you cause to be taken outside of the pain because of your presence and how many rebounds you allow other players to get because you box out.

I wouldnt trade Drew Gooden for Kurt Thomas straight up. Not even close. Now throw in Damon Jones and another pick and then we can start talking.......

OP
OP
H

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
And i think Kurt Thomas needs to play on a half court team again like Indiana or Cleveland or he'll get hurt once again during some point of the season.

This is a guy getting up there in age, and has always played on slow teams, now hes being asked to run with us and he gets hurt.

He's never missed more than 5 games in the past 6 seasons playing in a snail like offense with New York, and boom he comes to the most explosive offense in the NBA and he misses almost 30 games.

Anyone really believe he'll stay healthy playing at our pace?

Now this I find very persuasive. I wonder if the trade impetus is mutual then, from Thomas's camp and the Suns....

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I wouldnt trade Drew Gooden for Kurt Thomas straight up. Not even close. Now throw in Damon Jones and another pick and then we can start talking.......

As much as I like Gooden, I tend to agree with this perspective, although KT is not worth Gooden and Jones. Furthermore, I don't think the Suns could take back all that salary under the cap rules.