Omer Asik

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Asik is unhappy in Houston and has asked for a trade. Speculation is that the Rockets will eventually accommodate him. They want a big in return, but presumably someone who brings something to the table that Asik doesn't.

Frye could be a potential fit if he ever starts making shots again. Both Frye and Asik have two years left. Frye makes a little more this year ($6.4M vs. $5.2M), but Asik has a big balloon payment due and will make much more than Frye next year ($14.9M vs. $6.8M). I don't know whether Asik's weird contract complicates the salary-matching rules for trades. If it's only this season's salaries that matter, it's an easy match.

The Rockets would reject a straight-up trade, but might be willing to listen if the Suns were including at least one pick as part of the offer. I doubt that the Pacers pick would be enough. How much higher would you go?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not real knowledgable about Asik but at this point I think I would like to keep my powder dry for a bigger deal.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well he's a legit center and a better long term fit than Frye. I'd do it if it were a straight up swap or for one of the lower picks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not pursue Asik.

If the Suns are happy with Plumlee at center for the moment and plan to develop Len, I would not be excited about acquiring Asik who would want to start. Like JCSunsfan, I'm not real knowledgeable about Asik. However, he would appear to have about the same value as Gortat, except younger, and not a game changer for anyone's front line except a team desperate for a center. I'm not sure if he is better than Gortat.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Asik is 27 years old. After playing in Turkey for a while, he had a breakout NBA season last year, starting all 82 games and averaging 10 points and 12 rebounds in 30 minutes. The last Suns player to average at least 12 rebounds in a season was Charles Barkley.

Asik would expect to start over Plumlee, and he should, if the Suns are trying to win games this season. Plumlee is still struggling to contribute on a regular basis; Asik's biggest weakness on the floor is poor free-throw shooting (58% last year), but otherwise, he's someone you want out there.

Asik won't be in the way of Len's development. Len's ankles are in the way of Len's development. When and if his body is ready, Len will get minutes, even if a more mature center is ahead of him on the depth chart. It is true that Asik and a healthy Len would probably squeeze out Plumlee, but Plumlee is already 25, only two years younger than Asik. For the Suns to declare themselves set at the center position would be pretty silly.

To me there's no doubt that Asik would be a good acquisition. The question is how high the price would be.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me there's no doubt that Asik would be a good acquisition. The question is how high the price would be.

Too high imo. I doubt the Rockets(or most teams) would consider Frye as having positive value and I don't think it makes sense for the Suns to spend assets on a guy like Asik.

The Pelicans seem like the most likely destination if the Rockets are looking for a stretch 4.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Asik is 27 years old. After playing in Turkey for a while, he had a breakout NBA season last year, starting all 82 games and averaging 10 points and 12 rebounds in 30 minutes. The last Suns player to average at least 12 rebounds in a season was Charles Barkley.

Asik would expect to start over Plumlee, and he should, if the Suns are trying to win games this season. Plumlee is still struggling to contribute on a regular basis; Asik's biggest weakness on the floor is poor free-throw shooting (58% last year), but otherwise, he's someone you want out there.

Asik won't be in the way of Len's development. Len's ankles are in the way of Len's development. When and if his body is ready, Len will get minutes, even if a more mature center is ahead of him on the depth chart. It is true that Asik and a healthy Len would probably squeeze out Plumlee, but Plumlee is already 25, only two years younger than Asik. For the Suns to declare themselves set at the center position would be pretty silly.

I agree with this. Asik has already shown that he can be a solid starting center in this league with the Bulls. He plays great defense and rebounds well. If we can get him on the cheap its a no brainer. I like Plumlee but he really is better served as a PF. Len is not physically or mentally ready right now, hopefully down the road he will be.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with JC. I like Asik fine as a player but I'd rather we save our parts for a larger deal. If Asik was due to make 5 mil next year too I'd be all over it, but his 15 mil contract would complicate our cap flexibility and make him hard to flip.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with JC. I like Asik fine as a player but I'd rather we save our parts for a larger deal. If Asik was due to make 5 mil next year too I'd be all over it, but his 15 mil contract would complicate our cap flexibility and make him hard to flip.

I thought it was only an 8 mil cap hit despite the bump to 15 mil next year?

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
For me, there are two separate questions:
1. Do I want Asik on the team?
2. How badly do I want him on the team?

First part is easy- he is a tough, rebounding Center who actually has some skills on both ends of the floor- of course I want him on the team. The only complication here is that he may make us even better than we are now.

Second question is tricky for a couple of reasons. I do not know how badly our cap would be affected by this due to his weird contract. I would be willing to send Frye and maybe Indiana's pick. I might be willing to send them Minny pick and indiana pick in exchange for their own. At the end of the day, they have nothing on their roster I'm even remotely interested in. Matiejunas and Beverly might be the only exceptions.

In my mind, Huston may need him gone more than we need him. Lin and Asik both have crazy contracts, so the Rockets will be paying two of them some $30M next year. Add Howard and Harden to that, and they will be paying $65M to those four players.
That makes me almost not want to offer any picks, including the Pacers' pick.

Should Asik end up in the Suns uniform, I would not have him start in place of Plumlee. I'd start them together. I THINK Plumlee can play 4 more effectively than he does 5.

Having said all that, I think that Asik makes us a playoff team, and I'd rather pick at 8 than 14 in the next draft. Should he be available for a similar trade next summer, I'd be very interested, but at this point, I would pass, unless McD thinks he can flip Asik, along with a couple of other players, for a real star.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Omer Asik is a very interesting player but the likelihood of acquiring him for Channing Frye is very small at this time. Were Frye the same player he was a couple years ago then I could see a possibility by adding a lowerpick but unless he has a very quick recovery, I don't think Houston would be interested. Word is that Houston is looking for an immediate impact player or a draft pick (I assume some level lottery pick). I don't think Frye currently qualifies.

There is a player that Houston would likely be interested in and that is Bledsoe. He would be a great fit with Harden. As crazy as some would think this sounds, this could be a fabulous trade for both teams. A great defender next to Harden is ideal. The biggest issue for Houston would be how Bledose's next contract fits their situation. For the Suns, they would be acquiring a premier defensive center. If Len progresses as hoped, is it possible he could be moved to the 4 to play alongside Asik? That's a possible defensive juggernaut. These two, combined with back-up minutes from Plumlee, could be about as good as it gets. There's certainly a speculative element to this, but that's part of rebuilding.

I'm not sure what kind of deal could be structured but I assume Phoenix could get a bit more than just Asik. Maybe Jones or Motie. As to the cap hit, it's like 8.3 each year but actual salary paid is varied.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omer Asik is a very interesting player but the likelihood of acquiring him for Channing Frye is very small at this time. Were Frye the same player he was a couple years ago then I could see a possibility by adding a lowerpick but unless he has a very quick recovery, I don't think Houston would be interested. Word is that Houston is looking for an immediate impact player or a draft pick (I assume some level lottery pick). I don't think Frye currently qualifies.

There is a player that Houston would likely be interested in and that is Bledsoe. He would be a great fit with Harden. As crazy as some would think this sounds, this could be a fabulous trade for both teams. A great defender next to Harden is ideal. The biggest issue for Houston would be how Bledose's next contract fits their situation. For the Suns, they would be acquiring a premier defensive center. If Len progresses as hoped, is it possible he could be moved to the 4 to play alongside Asik? That's a possible defensive juggernaut. These two, combined with back-up minutes from Plumlee, could be about as good as it gets. There's certainly a speculative element to this, but that's part of rebuilding.

I'm not sure what kind of deal could be structured but I assume Phoenix could get a bit more than just Asik. Maybe Jones or Motie. As to the cap hit, it's like 8.3 each year but actual salary paid is varied.

If that's all they're offering, I wouldn't even return their phone call. I know you're a Dragic fan but (IMO) Bledsoe has far more trade appeal right not than Goran and I wouldn't do this deal for him either. AFAIC, the only reason you pursue Asik is if you're on a quest to make the playoffs and Bledsoe is the main reason we'd have a slim chance at postseason play. Besides, I like the one/two punch of Goran and Eric - if we can ever keep it on the court for more than a quarter or two.

Steve

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If that's all they're offering, I wouldn't even return their phone call. I know you're a Dragic fan but (IMO) Bledsoe has far more trade appeal right not than Goran and I wouldn't do this deal for him either.

I agree that Asik for Bledsoe is a complete non-starter for Phoenix.

If Houston is hoping to get a lottery pick for Asik, they're going to be bitterly disappointed. He's a solid player, but no one is giving up a lottery pick in next summer's draft.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If that's all they're offering, I wouldn't even return their phone call. I know you're a Dragic fan but (IMO) Bledsoe has far more trade appeal right not than Goran and I wouldn't do this deal for him either. AFAIC, the only reason you pursue Asik is if you're on a quest to make the playoffs and Bledsoe is the main reason we'd have a slim chance at postseason play. Besides, I like the one/two punch of Goran and Eric - if we can ever keep it on the court for more than a quarter or two.

Steve

My appreciation for Dragic is really irrelevant to this trade. Dragic next to Harden doesn't work nearly as well so that's why I suggested Bledsoe.

As to the value aspect, you're both seriously underestimating Asik's value. David Thorpe (a pretty good basketball mind) suggested that Houston try to obtain Chris Bosh in trade. Is Bledsoe more valuable than Bosh? I think that's a pretty big stretch. But viewed beyond that context, championship teams are largely, but not necessarily, built around big guys. Now I don't think Asik is going to lead a team to a championship but he's a nice piece. I hope the Suns at least look at this avenue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My appreciation for Dragic is really irrelevant to this trade. Dragic next to Harden doesn't work nearly as well so that's why I suggested Bledsoe.

As to the value aspect, you're both seriously underestimating Asik's value. David Thorpe (a pretty good basketball mind) suggested that Houston try to obtain Chris Bosh in trade. Is Bledsoe more valuable than Bosh? I think that's a pretty big stretch. But viewed beyond that context, championship teams are largely, but not necessarily, built around big guys. Now I don't think Asik is going to lead a team to a championship but he's a nice piece. I hope the Suns at least look at this avenue.

Yes, he is a pretty sound basketball guy. I remember him talking about a possible Asik trade for Bosh and he said that Chris was the far superior player so the deal would have to include another Rockets player plus a pick or two. Are you saying he's now lowered the bar and is suggesting a Bosh for Asik deal straight up?

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I think it's too simplistic to talk about one player being more valuable than another. Osik is certainly more valuable to Miami than he is to Indiana, for example, simply because they need size. Jeremy Lin, for example, would probably be more valuable than Utah than he would be to Phoenix because they need a point guard. So, in your example, I would say that Osik may be more valuable to Miami than Bosh, but Bosh is more valuable to them than Bledsoe. To Phoenix, Bledsoe is certainly more valuable than Bosh would be.

Having said that, Bledsoe definitely has more potential than Asik. He is very young, and he, at the very least, has potential to be a go-to player. Osik, at best, is a solid 3rd or 4th option on a good team. For me to even take that call, the Rockets would have to offer me multiple picks, Asik, Matiejunas, Beverly, and Jones, and they would have to take my crap (Frye) in return.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, he is a pretty sound basketball guy. I remember him talking about a possible Asik trade for Bosh and he said that Chris was the far superior player so the deal would have to include another Rockets player plus a pick or two. Are you saying he's now lowered the bar and is suggesting a Bosh for Asik deal straight up?

Steve

No, I was operating from memory. I don't remember the specifics but Bosh for Asik was the main part. I'm merely using Thorpe's suggestion to show Asik's worth. Perhaps there were other pieces involved as there might be with Bledsoe.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's too simplistic to talk about one player being more valuable than another. Osik is certainly more valuable to Miami than he is to Indiana, for example, simply because they need size. Jeremy Lin, for example, would probably be more valuable than Utah than he would be to Phoenix because they need a point guard. So, in your example, I would say that Osik may be more valuable to Miami than Bosh, but Bosh is more valuable to them than Bledsoe. To Phoenix, Bledsoe is certainly more valuable than Bosh would be.

Having said that, Bledsoe definitely has more potential than Asik. He is very young, and he, at the very least, has potential to be a go-to player. Osik, at best, is a solid 3rd or 4th option on a good team. For me to even take that call, the Rockets would have to offer me multiple picks, Asik, Matiejunas, Beverly, and Jones, and they would have to take my crap (Frye) in return.

You're reading entirely too much into what I said. I'm throwing an idea out there, not writing a thesis. There are always exceptions to anything that is written, I just see little value into going into various scenarios that seem irrelevant. The thrust of my point would be no different. If Miami should possibly consider trading Chris Bosh for Asik, the Suns considering trading Eric Bledoe doesn't seem that big of a stretch.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I was operating from memory. I don't remember the specifics but Bosh for Asik was the main part. I'm merely using Thorpe's suggestion to show Asik's worth. Perhaps there were other pieces involved as there might be with Bledsoe.

The NBA is still a star driven league and IMO, Bledsoe is our best bet at becoming a star. Asik looks to have reached his ceiling. He's a good defender and an excellent rebounder but he's a bad free throw shooter and he's still fairly raw offensively. I really don't see anything on the Houston roster that would interest me (that's likely to be available) and I just don't see how we'd benefit by replacing a potential star with a slightly above average center. Maybe if we were closer to contending it would be worth it to pay a premium for a legit center but it makes no sense to me now.

Steve

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's a solid player, but no one is giving up a lottery pick in next summer's draft.

If someone did this for Gortat, at least some teams could do the same for Asik who has one more year on his contract.

Asik is definitely more valuable than Gortat, IMO.

Having said that I do not think that the Suns should try to acquire him unless it is a fire-sale which is obviously not, even the opposite: Houston is probably patiently waiting for the best offer.

The Suns are just in the low middle of their rebuilding: they do not have any bad contracts (except maybe Frye's), they started and executed collecting as much picks and prospects as possible.
They seem to make the right decision with Hornacek who got the players on the same page.

The Suns is still away from finishing the rebuilding phase, the talent level is obiously not sufficient for being a contender or even a play-off team.

How do you gain more talent on your team? Via draft picks (including getting yours as high as possible) and via cap space/cap management.

Trading for Asik would sacrifice in both (3) areas for a very questionable return.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont see what need Asik would be addressing here anyway. Not saying he is not a solid player but the Suns have been decent on the glass and they've been very good at protecting the rim. You get Asik and the guy whos minutes get gobbled up is Plumlee. I certainly dont think those two would function as a tandem, the spacing would be horrible. And I'm not trying to claim Plumlee is as good as Asik, but we have bigger holes elsewhere. I dont think getting Asik does a lot to push the needle.

If the goal is to make the Suns better this year they need to find offense, especially at the wings.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Asik for Bledsoe? No way. Its hard enough to get a "top 3" type of guy on any team. You have to keep him unless you are trading for another top 3 player. Miami could do it because their top 2 are really good and Asik would complement them well. Trading Bledsoe for Asik would go down in history right there with the Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey trade. her free agents.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont see what need Asik would be addressing here anyway. Not saying he is not a solid player but the Suns have been decent on the glass and they've been very good at protecting the rim. You get Asik and the guy whos minutes get gobbled up is Plumlee. I certainly dont think those two would function as a tandem, the spacing would be horrible. And I'm not trying to claim Plumlee is as good as Asik, but we have bigger holes elsewhere. I dont think getting Asik does a lot to push the needle.

If the goal is to make the Suns better this year they need to find offense, especially at the wings.

I agree with this. I am not at all convinced that Plumlee would work out as a pf. Today's pf's need range that Plumlee hasn't shown yet.

I think Plumlee is a very good center, and has the potential to get better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake