Omer Asik

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely and ridiculously untrue. Defense in the NBA is largely dependent on coaching schemes. Bledose hasn't even been as good as advertised on the defensive end. We're watching different games I guess.

Carmelo is a crap-tastic defender. Period. Coaching does have a lot to do with defense... but the player has to buy into the scheme, and actually commit himself to putting the effort in on D... which Carmelo has never done.

And you totally ignored that trading for Asik takes a dump on our cap space anyway, making your dream of the Asik/Anthony "first round elimination or bust" combo impossible.

The leader of the defense is Plumlee. Again, we're watching different games. Bledsoe falls asleep half the time. The Bledsoe I've watched on defense in Phoenix is seriously overrated. Is he capable of being potentially great? Maybe, but there's a lot of work to be done. The best part of our offense? He walks the ball up the court and plays iso. Hornacek has commented on this several times. He's shot the ball well. That's about it. When the sample size is larger than let's talk.

As to your assessment of Asik's defensive abilities, go take a look at RAPM for the last few years. Yes, it's an imperfect statistic but I'll take it over someone who thinks Asik is just "solid". BTW, did you know Asik had the highest */- on Houston last year? Solid!

I love all the contradictions. The sample size is too small to say Bledsoe is any good, despite the one thing people being sure of about Bledsoe pre-trade is him being an outstanding defender, but on the other hand Plumlee, who has a significantly smaller sample size, is officially declared the backbone of the defense.

And all this coming from the same poster who declared Kelly Olynyk as the likely rookie of the year... 8 minutes into his first summer league game.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I saw a rumored trade with the Knicks as follows.

Dragic and Okafor

for

Shumpert and Amare

I would demand New York's pick this year (Unprotected) and just do it. Straight up I would pass.

I like the hell out of Dragic but I really question how the Bledsoe Dragic back court will be down the road. A Bledsoe / Shumpert back court with Goodwin could be amazing going forward. Add in a potential high lottery pick and I think you have to think about it.

Taking Amare is just a vehicle to get the Knicks pick, unprotected.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Ha. Bringing Amare back would be interesting. I wonder if the medical staff could do some of their magic again. He has this year and next left, correct? The only way I even consider taking his contract on is if they include an unprotected 1st along with Shumpert. Would hate to lose Dragic, but Shumpert and an unprotected 1st might be worth it. Even with Amare killing your cap for another year.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Bledsoe and the elite defense goes out the window. Without Bledsoe the Suns are probably a 1-8 team right now, especially given Goran's injury problems.

Also... sign Carmelo and the idea of building a team around defense becomes an absolute joke.

Furthermore, with Asik's 15 mil cap hit next season, signing a player like Carmelo becomes almost impossible.

I wouldn't trade Bledsoe for Melo straight up. He is a cancer that makes everyone worse. Yikes. That's one of the worst plans have ever heard.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ha. Bringing Amare back would be interesting. I wonder if the medical staff could do some of their magic again. He has this year and next left, correct? The only way I even consider taking his contract on is if they include an unprotected 1st along with Shumpert. Would hate to lose Dragic, but Shumpert and an unprotected 1st might be worth it. Even with Amare killing your cap for another year.

I'd do it in a second. Who cares if Amare is eating up your cap, what big FA are the Suns signing this summer? He helps you get to the salary floor and maybe our magic training staff can get him into at least being a productive bench guy. If not, no biggy.

If the Knicks gave us Shump and a 1st for that I'd love it. Shump could play well next to Bledsoe, but will need to dramatically improve his 3 point shooting. But it would give the Suns a super athletic back court.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO these trade ideas are absolutely awful. That said, I don't think NY has a 1st or 2nd round pick available to trade until 2018.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't think we trade an upcoming bledsoe for guys who've reached their ceiling just in order for another non-top-10 pick.

HooverDam

Reaction score
IMO these trade ideas are absolutely awful. That said, I don't think NY has a 1st or 2nd round pick available to trade until 2018.

Which would be fine for the Suns too, so long as its totally unprotected. The Suns already have quite a few picks this year, which is good, but at some point it gets a bit silly to have too many in one draft. I wouldnt mind a future pick, those can often turn out to be gems.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There is a player that Houston would likely be interested in and that is Bledsoe. He would be a great fit with Harden. As crazy as some would think this sounds, this could be a fabulous trade for both teams. A great defender next to Harden is ideal. The biggest issue for Houston would be how Bledose's next contract fits their situation. For the Suns, they would be acquiring a premier defensive center. If Len progresses as hoped, is it possible he could be moved to the 4 to play alongside Asik? That's a possible defensive juggernaut. These two, combined with back-up minutes from Plumlee, could be about as good as it gets. There's certainly a speculative element to this, but that's part of rebuilding.

You are ridiculous.

The Suns are not going to trade Bledsoe for a 27 year old "ok" center. We could have kept Gortat if that was what we wanted.

We have no need for Asik either with Plumlee and Len in the fold.

Ridiculous idea to even think about Asik.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Agreed with Slin (and others) on this. While he is a fine player, I'm not sure Asik is the best long-term fit for the Suns.

Harrison Barnes though, there's a player I'd love to bring to the team. I don't think he's available (yet), but he'd be a great fit.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw a rumored trade with the Knicks as follows.

Dragic and Okafor

for

Shumpert and Amare

I would demand New York's pick this year (Unprotected) and just do it. Straight up I would pass.

I like the hell out of Dragic but I really question how the Bledsoe Dragic back court will be down the road. A Bledsoe / Shumpert back court with Goodwin could be amazing going forward. Add in a potential high lottery pick and I think you have to think about it.

Taking Amare is just a vehicle to get the Knicks pick, unprotected.

Pretty sure the Knicks pick is owned by Denver this year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asik is 27 years old. After playing in Turkey for a while, he had a breakout NBA season last year, starting all 82 games and averaging 10 points and 12 rebounds in 30 minutes. The last Suns player to average at least 12 rebounds in a season was Charles Barkley.

Asik would expect to start over Plumlee, and he should, if the Suns are trying to win games this season. Plumlee is still struggling to contribute on a regular basis; Asik's biggest weakness on the floor is poor free-throw shooting (58% last year), but otherwise, he's someone you want out there.

Asik won't be in the way of Len's development. Len's ankles are in the way of Len's development. When and if his body is ready, Len will get minutes, even if a more mature center is ahead of him on the depth chart. It is true that Asik and a healthy Len would probably squeeze out Plumlee, but Plumlee is already 25, only two years younger than Asik. For the Suns to declare themselves set at the center position would be pretty silly.

To me there's no doubt that Asik would be a good acquisition. The question is how high the price would be.

Plumlee belongs at PF, anyway.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plumlee belongs at PF, anyway.

I disagree. He doesn't have the range to play pf. With the stretch 4's in the league today, he would be drawn away from the rim where he defense is less effective. He could play pf in spot situations where he is guarding a low post pf like Duncan.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I disagree. He doesn't have the range to play pf. With the stretch 4's in the league today, he would be drawn away from the rim where he defense is less effective. He could play pf in spot situations where he is guarding a low post pf like Duncan.

His footwork is outstanding. He would do just fine defending stretch 4s.
My only concern would be on offense, if neither one of the big men could hit open 15-foot jumpers.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern would be on offense, if neither one of the big men could hit open 15-foot jumpers.

He'll be hitting mid-range jumpers by next season. It's a very high point of emphasis for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One game notwithstanding, would this be any different than what we've seen so far this season?

I really don't know if he can make the switch to power forward. I think so but until he makes the switch it's anyone's guess. What I do feel confident about though is the same thing I've said several times. Plumlee is too small to be our only big man out there night in and night out. He's at or near the minimum for his position in height, length, width and strength. Pair him with a true power forward or put him next to a true center and I think he'll shine but as it is, he'll struggle on some nights and eventually wear down.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
One game notwithstanding, would this be any different than what we've seen so far this season?

I really don't know if he can make the switch to power forward. I think so but until he makes the switch it's anyone's guess. What I do feel confident about though is the same thing I've said several times. Plumlee is too small to be our only big man out there night in and night out. He's at or near the minimum for his position in height, length, width and strength. Pair him with a true power forward or put him next to a true center and I think he'll shine but as it is, he'll struggle and eventually wear down.

Steve
As did Amare. Most of the Suns history, of course, has featured one true skilled big man in the two power positions. Sometimes none.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As did Amare. Most of the Suns history, of course, has featured one true skilled big man in the two power positions. Sometimes none.

But we weren't playing defense then. We were offense driven for most of our history and that's no longer the case. Now, we are trying to play a more traditional defense and you simply can't throw one marginally sized big man out there and expect him to survive let alone thrive. And it's made worse by the fact we get even smaller when we go to the bench. Someone else needs to make the other bigs work or they stay fairly fresh while your only big gets pounded on by several power players.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I really don't know if he can make the switch to power forward. I think so but until he makes the switch it's anyone's guess. What I do feel confident about though is the same thing I've said several times. Plumlee is too small to be our only big man out there night in and night out. He's at or near the minimum for his position in height, length, width and strength. Pair him with a true power forward or put him next to a true center and I think he'll shine but as it is, he'll struggle on some nights and eventually wear down.

Steve

Well, Frye and Morris are big enough threats that defenders have to respect them. Put Asik next to Plumlee and defenses are going to dare them to shoot open jumpers.

I agree with the rest of the post. Plumlee needs another physical 4 or a 5 to help him out.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd be quite thoroughly surprised if Frye or Morris ever became consistent enough to be a net positive force on the floor. Frye in particular has to shoot extremely well because he's such a loss on the defensive end. Morris isn't awful but he is quite undersized.

Len has the right physical dimensions and either Hornacek or McDonough said once that he has a good midrange shot.

I wonder if Hornacek has put a condition on Kravtsov playing - like telling him he has to be able to shoot 50% from the FT line before he gets on the floor during games. He's listed as the same size as Plumlee but he looked bigger to me...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Hornacek has put a condition on Kravtsov playing - like telling him he has to be able to shoot 50% from the FT line before he gets on the floor during games. He's listed as the same size as Plumlee but he looked bigger to me...

If this were true about FT shooting, Plumlee wouldn't see the floor either. He is shooting below .500 this season at the FT line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were true about FT shooting, Plumlee wouldn't see the floor either. He is shooting below .500 this season at the FT line.

Plumlee is an atrocious free throw shooter but he brings a lot to the team and we don't have all that many options so I could see the possibility of a different standard for the two guys. I don't think free throws are behind K's playing time but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I must be wrong about the condition - Kravtsov is shooting .500 for FTs... 1 out 2. Len is also 1 out of 2 and Plumlee is shooting .375 on about 28 tries.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plumlee is an atrocious free throw shooter but he brings a lot to the team and we don't have all that many options so I could see the possibility of a different standard for the two guys. I don't think free throws are behind K's playing time but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Steve

I'm a huge fan of Plumlee, however, I was pointing out he is a poor FT shooter. IMO, Kravtsov plays softer, hence his lack of playing time. I was surprised Plumlee did not get more playing time in the 4th quarter but Frye and the Morris twins had it going.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake