One more move...what's BC up to?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biclops said:
One center I would like the Suns to consider would be Brendan Haywood from the Washington Wizard

He is 7 foot / weighs 268 lbs and averaged...

PPG 7.0
RPG 5.0
BPG 1.3
FG% .515

Ranks #3 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 minutes
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 minutes

Haywood may not be a top flight center (Shaq / Yao) or have alot of potential (Magloire / Dalembert) but all we need from the center position is a good role player that knows his job (rebound and block) which I think Haywood can do

A trade I thought at the top of my head (I think it works cap wise too)

Phoenix trades:
Zarko
CJ
Rights to Milo

Washington trades:
Haywood
Steve Blake

Add draft picks if we need to

What do you guys think?
I think this is more realistic than trading for Dalembert or Magloire

I like Haywood also. Unfortunately there's no way the wizards would make bad deal. It just doesn't make any sense for them.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Washington papers were pretty critical of Heywood early in the off season. He seemed OK in the few times I've seen him play, but I'm not sure how much he is worth.

Reaction score
I live in the DC area and have seen Haywood play alot he is a pretty good player and gets better every year. He has the potential to be a very good player if he could get a little more aggressive. The problem with that trade is we don't need another point and Washington doesn't need another 2.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az_cards_fan88 said:
I live in the DC area and have seen Haywood play alot he is a pretty good player and gets better every year. He has the potential to be a very good player if he could get a little more aggressive. The problem with that trade is we don't need another point and Washington doesn't need another 2.
This trade might be an easier sell to Washington in January. I believe Haywood will be a RFA next summer, and they are nearing the cap threshold. That team's been made over so many times the last few years, I can't tell what direction they're headed -- or if they even have a direction.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Someone posted that the real reason Suns stayed away from TMac was his demand to extend his max contract, fearing another Penny fiasco. Not willing to trade JJ AND Marion for him is the way they need to talk following that anyway.

That was one of the biggest reasons as well. BC said they wouldn't do ANY deal for him without him either signing an extension, or waiving his opt out clause. They were more worried about a Dice situation....

He also said there was never a chance that both Marion and JJ would have been traded. It was just to much to give.

BTW, George beat me to the punch. A center propsect playing well for 2 months means little. Thanks for all the examples.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
BTW, George beat me to the punch. A center propsect playing well for 2 months means little. Thanks for all the examples.

I didn't even work at it. I just remembered another: Calvin Booth (just traded to the Mavs) is another guy who got a big contract based on one good year and has done little since.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Brendan Haywood might not be too valueable in a trade (since the Wiz matched Thomas) and could fit in very well. Zarko and Milos for Haywood+ looks like a decent deal to me.

I am not really high on Zarko AT ALL. And as it looks right now Zarko and Eisley will get NO minutes at all unless Zarko can effectively play PF. Jacobsen will only get minutes if they really need a shooter on the floor.

I think we can get a decent enough center to compete without giving up Amare, Q, Matrix, JJ, Barbosa, Lampe, Voshkul...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern with Zarko and Vujanic is not that I am against trading them, just that I don't think they have ANY trade value right now. I'm hoping Vujanic and Carbakapa have a huge Olympics. :thumbup:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
A year ago Dalembert was a 100% project. As a rookie, he played a TOTAL of 177 minutes. Lampe spent his entire Knicks career on the IR and he got 225 minutes.

One of the reasons that Dalembert won't get moved is that there is a history of guys playing really well for part of a season and then doing very little afterward. Issac Austin was a backup center to Zo Mourning who came in and played very well when Zo was injured. He got a big contract and did nothing afterward.

Eddie Curry played like an all-star at the end of 2002-03 season and everyone was predicting big things for him. He ended up riding the bench a lot this season and was no where close to being as effective.

Marc Jackson in 2000-01 averaged 7.5 rpg in 29.4 minutes. After that he had two dismal seasons. Last year with the Sixers, he had fewer rebounds per minute than Jake Voskuhl in the few games he played.

If Dalembert has another strong season, he will be worth a lot in the trade market. Right now, no one is going to give the Sixers a couple starters and take back a bad contract to get him. History suggests it is a bad risk.

George, I almost always agree with your views, however I think that you're wrong here. It's not fair to compare Dalembert to Austin, Curry, and Jackson. Have you watched him play? I am a huge sixer fan and have watched him since he was a dumb rookie. I remember thinking, why don't they play this guy more, when watching him back then. He has made great strides and is very athletic. He would be a great fit for the Suns.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
George, I almost always agree with your views, however I think that you're wrong here. It's not fair to compare Dalembert to Austin, Curry, and Jackson. Have you watched him play? I am a huge sixer fan and have watched him since he was a dumb rookie. I remember thinking, why don't they play this guy more, when watching him back then. He has made great strides and is very athletic. He would be a great fit for the Suns.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Dalembert. My problem comes when the price is taking on the really ugly contracts that it would take to get him. You want JJ and the Chicago pick - in a heart beat. But There is no way the Sixers do that deal. They'd want Marion in exchange for some cap killing crap to go along with Dalembert.

It's the same kind of problem with Chandler. Chandler has health problems that bother people. But what is more important is that no one is interested in taking one of the Bulls horrible contracts in order to get Chander.

That is the reason people get nervious about one year wonders. The cost for a trade ends up being extremely high when it is all added up. It is the equivlent of asking, would you pay Dalembert $11.5 million this year once you've added in the cost of the bad contracts? Plus, the cost will be greater than that because Dalembert will be an RFA next summer and be getting a huge contract at that point. So you add $10 million in bad contracts and say $8 million when he re-signs, it means his real cost will be $18 million beginning next season.

He's good, but he's not THAT good.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Brendan Haywood might not be too valueable in a trade (since the Wiz matched Thomas) and could fit in very well. Zarko and Milos for Haywood+ looks like a decent deal to me.

I am not really high on Zarko AT ALL.

That is typical. You are not really high on Zarko but Haywood could fit very well. The solution? Trade Zarko for Haywood.
And then you fooled them, right?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
That is typical. You are not really high on Zarko but Haywood could fit very well. The solution? Trade Zarko for Haywood.
And then you fooled them, right?

It's every fan's fantasy trade: give up guys you don't like for guys you do.

Most significant trades involve giving up someone you like for someone you like even more.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Because I don't like him doesn't mean others don't like him as well.

I certainly hope that's the case with Eisley. :hulk:

Some of the better trades come when a player that is not a good fit goes to a team that can use that player's skills.

If you look at the recent trade of Fortson from the Mavs for Booth of the Sonics, neither guy florished with their respective teams but might with another team.

Fortson's problem (besides being a thug) is that he is strictly a PF on a team that needed a center. Fortson put up some great numbers with GS: 11.3 rpg in 2001-02 when playing 28.8 minutes, but his productivity dropped when Murphy became the main man for the Warriors. But with the Mavs, he got even fewer minutes (11.2 minutes per game) because he was playing behind Dirk and Walker.

Booth has never had a great year, but the fact that he was competing with Potapenko and James didn't help either. In any case, the Sonics drafted Swift which meant they have a lot of average big guys. At 6'11" he is more of a real center than Fortson, so he might help the Mavs. In any case, they didn't give up much.

Now if we can just find somebody who could use Eisley... :thumbup:

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My High School team could sure use a good point guard... a backup one.