Options at center field article...

Billexium

Reaction score
Why on Earth pay $14 million over two years for a player that won't even be able to play the first month of the season? I doubt the Mets will just try and dump him off since they don't really have a fourth outfielder to take over in right. I don't forsee a Cameron and $8 million for Cintron deal going down. And I think that's the only way it makes sense. Maybe a Zito/Bynes for Valverde/Cintron/Gosling/Williams swap. Riiiiiiiight.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billexium said:
Why on Earth pay $14 million over two years for a player that won't even be able to play the first month of the season? I doubt the Mets will just try and dump him off since they don't really have a fourth outfielder to take over in right. I don't forsee a Cameron and $8 million for Cintron deal going down. And I think that's the only way it makes sense. Maybe a Zito/Bynes for Valverde/Cintron/Gosling/Williams swap. Riiiiiiiight.

I read somewhere that apparently the A's love Villareal. Maybe something like Zito/Byrnes for Valverde/Cintron or Hairston/Villareal/2 mid-tier prospects would work. I doubt either team would really want to make a trade like that though. :shrug:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Zito was on the board when the D'backs picked Corey Myers.... :roll:

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Zito was on the board when the D'backs picked Corey Myers.... :roll:

I believe the Diamondbacks were going to pick Ben Sheets before they saw an impressive display by Myers in like the last week before the week. :hulk:

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I read somewhere that apparently the A's love Villareal. Maybe something like Zito/Byrnes for Valverde/Cintron or Hairston/Villareal/2 mid-tier prospects would work. I doubt either team would really want to make a trade like that though. :shrug:

The Diamondbacks would make either of those trades in a second. Add Conor Jackson and we'd make either of those trades in about two seconds.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
The DBacks would be ecstatic to dump that pile of unproven or injury-prone players for Zito and Byrnes. Not only would the A's not do this for talent reasons, I seriously doubt the A's want any of our middle infielders. Not only are they not very good, but Oakland ahs the reigning AL ROY at SS and just traded for Keith Ginter and have Mark Ellis coming back sometime next year. Any conversation involving Zito is going to cost nothing short of Conor Jackson.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
The Diamondbacks would make either of those trades in a second. Add Conor Jackson and we'd make either of those trades in about two seconds.

Either of those trades? Theres only one there.

Kolo

Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Either of those trades? Theres only one there.

I read Zito and Byrnes for either: Valverde and Cintron, or Villareal, Hairston and a few middling prospects. I wouldn't mind seeing Hairston get traded, but I'm thinking Valverde/Hairston for Byrnes is more realistic. Byrnes is a good player, and Valverde is coming off an injury and Hairston is unproven at the plate in the majors (although already proven a bad defensive second baseman).

It's always nice to rip off another team, but it rarely happens. Except to us (twice) last offseason.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
I read Zito and Byrnes for either: Valverde and Cintron, or Villareal, Hairston and a few middling prospects. I wouldn't mind seeing Hairston get traded, but I'm thinking Valverde/Hairston for Byrnes is more realistic. Byrnes is a good player, and Valverde is coming off an injury and Hairston is unproven at the plate in the majors (although already proven a bad defensive second baseman).

It's always nice to rip off another team, but it rarely happens. Except to us (twice) last offseason.

Sorry about that, I guess it was a little confusing. :hammer:

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Eric Byrnes- 28 years old 2004 - .283/.347/.467/.814, career .271/.336/.460/.797

Looks like he is arb eligible this year. This is a guy Oakland would be happy to trade for a very young pitcher still pre-arb like Valverde with a lively arm who is happy closing or a Villareal who also is young and pre-arb and could set-up or start. One of them with a Hairston who has a projected very good bat at a low offensive position, but with lousy defense.

This is a prototypical Oakland deal.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:

Maybe this:

AZ Gets: Barry Zito, Eric Byrnes, Scott Hatteberg
OAK Gets: Oscar Villareal, Alex Cintron, Scott Hairston, Luis Terrero, and a low level prospect.

Sure we trade Oscar, that would really weaken our pen. But we have Aqunio/Valverde who will be lights out. Then Cintron, Hairston, and Terrero we would not need since they'd be coming off the bench. So basically we get an ace, a CF, and a backup 1B/UTIL for a bullpen pitcher and a few bench players.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Maybe this:

OAK Gets: Oscar Villareal, Alex Cintron, Scott Hairston, Luis Terrero, and a low level prospect.

Sure we trade Oscar, that would really weaken our pen. But we have Aqunio/Valverde who will be lights out. Then Cintron, Hairston, and Terrero we would not need since they'd be coming off the bench. So basically we get an ace, a CF, and a backup 1B/UTIL for a bullpen pitcher and a few bench players.

We are not giving up nearly enough to satisfy Oakland. Nor would they want Terrero, and both Cintron and Hairston. The thing that worries me about the rumors that have been going around is that it seems that Oakland is demanding a lot for Byrnes, and there are a couple of teams with interest in him.

I think the very basic start to a deal for Zito would be Valverde and Villareal plus a couple of other things, including Cintron and who knows what kind of prospects. It fills Oakland's needs, are guys that they have been reportedly interested in (Ive heard Cintron mentioned in a few newspapers as the A's are looking for an infield bench player, Villareal is very very highly thought of to the A's, they have also been interested in Valverde), and this also follows the basic model of the Mulder trade. However, no clue what we could trade to get both Zito and Byrnes, especially without giving up Jackson and Quinten.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Maybe this:

The A's get a pile of mediocrity (none of whom fit into the A's style of play) and we get a former Cy Young winner and two guys making basically nothing who are solid MLB-proven players. Keep dreaming, Phil. Billy Beane didn't get a book written about him for being a ******.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Nicely put, Mao - it surprises me that so many people still don't get the Beane model. A big pile of mediocrity, however cheap, doesn't equal one good player in his plan. All they do is take up space unless he has an idea how to spin them off in other trades.

Not that people have to agree with it, but it's not complicated - Beane is extremely selective. He seeks players with specific types of skills and with minimal serious flaws, and who are underpriced or cheap. He stockpiles top-of-the-line prospects to replace guys when they get too expensive to keep - at which point you trade them for more super stud prospects. He plans carefully for rebuilding cycles, and does them efficiently.

He'd much rather get one Jon Zeringue or Conor Jackson who he can develop into a stud at almost no cost for the next 5 years than take Cintron, Hairston, and Terrero off our hands. He trades guys who start to cost more than their strengths/flaws are worth. Byrnes doesn't have the kinds of plate-discipline numbers Beane prefers, and he'd have to be a really superb defense guy to compensate for it in that system now that he's arb-eligible.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Billy Beane didn't get a book written about him for being a ******.
heh... reminds of the classic description of how a novice poker player can tell who the "sucker" is whenever he looks around and can't figure out who it is. ;)

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
He'd much rather get one Jon Zeringue or Conor Jackson who he can develop into a stud at almost no cost for the next 5 years than take Cintron, Hairston, and Terrero off our hands. He trades guys who start to cost more than their strengths/flaws are worth. Byrnes doesn't have the kinds of plate-discipline numbers Beane prefers, and he'd have to be a really superb defense guy to compensate for it in that system now that he's arb-eligible.
Beane would take Conor Jackson in a New York Minute. He would also, I suspect, like a Valverde or a Villareal, because they are both young and still cheap and he doesn't believe in spending a lot of money on closers or bullpen guys, but make his own. However, Hairston seems like a Billy Beane type, though admittedly I didn't watch him much last year. If he has power hitting potential at a middle infield position, Beane will live with his crummy defense. Unless he's a hacker?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
Beane would take Conor Jackson in a New York Minute. He would also, I suspect, like a Valverde or a Villareal, because they are both young and still cheap and he doesn't believe in spending a lot of money on closers or bullpen guys, but make his own. However, Hairston seems like a Billy Beane type, though admittedly I didn't watch him much last year. If he has power hitting potential at a middle infield position, Beane will live with his crummy defense. Unless he's a hacker?

Any team would take Jackson in a New York Minute....

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another article on Cameron and Byrnes. Also, the EV Tribune this morning reported that the Mets are willing to give up a lot for Byrnes, I hope the Diamondbacks dont get into a big bidding war for him, he's just not worth one.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/38552.htm

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Another article on Cameron and Byrnes. Also, the EV Tribune this morning reported that the Mets are willing to give up a lot for Byrnes, I hope the Diamondbacks dont get into a big bidding war for him, he's just not worth one.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/38552.htm

I agree..... The are 2 other viable options...Burnitz is still available (can play CF.. just imagine his adding his power with the "Killer Gs") and also Randy Winn is rumored to be available, and I believe the Mariners wouldnt demand as much as the As and Mets would..... At least acquire them as a 2-year stop-gap until Terrero may be able to play full-time CF.... Alex Sanchez of the Tigers may be an intriguing possibility, however, he is known not to take too many pitches...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
KLL said:
I agree..... The are 2 other viable options...Burnitz is still available (can play CF.. just imagine his adding his power with the "Killer Gs") and also Randy Winn is rumored to be available, and I believe the Mariners wouldnt demand as much as the As and Mets would..... At least acquire them as a 2-year stop-gap until Terrero may be able to play full-time CF.... Alex Sanchez of the Tigers may be an intriguing possibility, however, he is known not to take too many pitches...

Just imagine an outfield of Gonzo, Burnitz and Green, can you possibly imagine a worse defensive outfield? I'd much rather have Bautista for 2 million in center, at least he is good defensively...

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Just imagine an outfield of Gonzo, Burnitz and Green, can you possibly imagine a worse defensive outfield? I'd much rather have Bautista for 2 million in center, at least he is good defensively...

It certainly isnt great, but unfortunately it doesnt look like there are many better options out there. I think Terrero could start if the Diamondbacks needed him to, but he could benefit from more time. Byrnes is going to cost a lot in a trade, Cameron and Floyd are injured/expensive, and the next best OF still a free agent could be Ben Grieve (and his defense wouldnt suit us either)?

I dont know, KLL's suggestion of Randy Winn might be a decent potential alternative. :shrug:

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:

I wouldn't necessarily deem Burnitz and Green defensive liabilites... If you meant in terms that they lack mobility..then I will agree w/you there....

Burnitz and Green both have strong accurate arms (Burnitz had 10 assists and only committed 7 errors last season, while Green had 2 assists and 2 errors in the 52 games he played in RF), and I wouldnt really judge Gonzo (obviously base anything on last season) because we all know he was hampered by that injury..which we dont know how completely recovered he is.....

At least the Dbacks primarily have ground ball pitchers, and with an over-all improve IF defense (though the jury is out on Tracy), that could help compensate for not having someone who could cover the entire OF.....

I know you've generally be critical with most of the moves that the Dbacks (IE Joe Jr.) have made, and I bet they would be "fleeced" in any deal involving the As...... I'm just concerned that they would get in a "bidding war" with them for Byrnes or the Mets for Cameron (someone who we dont know how much he has "bounced back" from his surgery...at least we know how both Glaus and Green faired after theirs)....

The advantage in acquiring Burnitz is that he offers the attribute of versatilty in the OF.... Let's say Gonzo hasnt completely recovered from his surgery or needs a day off...or Tracy struggles or needs a day at 1B.... In the first instance...Burnitz would be inserted in LF and Terrero would play CF....Or... Green could spell Tracy at 1B with Burnitz being shifted over to RF...I know the Dbacks could use Hammock and perhaps Hairston in those roles, but they're both unprovens in the OF and would prefer not to have that risk.....

Also, I definitely would not consider Bautista a "solid" OFer... How many times would he collided into another OF on a fly-ball or fail to hit the cut-off man (something that Terrero must work on himself).....

I wish they had acquired Jermaine Dye when they had the chance (they nearly did)..since he has some experience in CF and would have offered the same power/speed that both Byrnes and Cameron do and at a cheaper "price/cost".....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan