Orlando at Phoenix Game Thread -- Nov 30th, 7:00 pm -- FSN HD

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amare had his moments of good defense, including two critical massive blocks that ignited fast breaks in the 4th qtr when Orlando was getting close (1 block of a Howard dunk & one on Arroyo). A lot of Howard's points came on alley-oop plays where Amare had to play help defense to stop the penetrating PG (either Arroyo or Nelson).

Orlando is one of the top teams in the NBA right now and they're not going to quit out there. They expect to win every game and I'm proud of the Suns for holding them off and going on runs every time Orlando got close. The Suns also did a great job guarding Rashard Lewis and got him to have another poor shooting night.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I can't imagine what Dwight would be like if he developed a bit of an outside game like Amare did. Another 30/20 game... I wonder how many that is for his career now. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Props to Shawn for hounding Lewis again. Lewis has definitely been a great pickup (maybe not at that price) for Orlando but Shawn just seems to have his number.

Good gutsy win for the Suns and maybe this is a good confidence booster for them moving forward.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Oh and did anyone see AK47's line this evening?

20 pts, 11 rbs, 11 asts, 6 steals, 4 blocks and 0 turnovers as the Jazz demolish LA without Boozer.

A part of me still wishes the rumored AK/Marion swap went down when AK plays up to his potential like this.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately i missed tonights game due to that annoying thing called a job.
From reading thru here & the box score it looks like i missed a good one. I haven't had a chance to watch D. Howard this year & it looks like he had his way in the paint tonight(like every night). Glad to hear we got a win in a close game against a good Orlando team.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score

20 pts, 11 rbs, 11 asts, 6 steals, 4 blocks and 0 turnovers as the Jazz demolish LA without Boozer.

A part of me still wishes the rumored AK/Marion swap went down when AK plays up to his potential like this.

perfect game from AK

CaptainInsano

Reaction score

Boozer and Okur were out of the game though. Marion would probably have a chance at putting up a 24-30 point 15-18 rebound game if Amare/Diaw were both out a game.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
really fun game to watch. looks like howard is developing very nicely and learning to stay out of foul trouble. i wish amare could rebound like him.

nice job by amare overall, especially after he picked up those 2 quick fouls. and he made some great blocks in the 4th qtr. its too bad he clanked that dunk over howard in the 4th, that would have been one for the hightlight reels.

skinner continues to be a great pickup. not the best defender, but he is very active and helps on the boards also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is starting to remind me of Shaq. He may never need to shoot FT's well or hit the outside shot. This 22 year old kid is a monster of a player and will only get better. The only thing Howard needs to be hugely successful is someone to pass him the ball. He already plays defense and rebounds.

I have seen the future of the league and it is Howard.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Uh oh, not again. Dwight stronger than he thinks. Dwight sorry for pushing little amare. Now George will never let Dwight tend the rabbits...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
lol, looks like howards super human strength overtook him there. im sure nash appreciated that flop. :p

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's a pretty dangerous play, luckily Nash was ok after getting blindsided from behind like that.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Boozer and Okur were out of the game though. Marion would probably have a chance at putting up a 24-30 point 15-18 rebound game if Amare/Diaw were both out a game.
Indeed. Just look what Marion did in game 5 last year when Amare and Boris were suspended. Shawn dominated and kept the Suns close.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah great game. There was an interesting quote post game by Amare saying something like, When they (Orlando) slow it down and let Dwight get into position he's unstoppable. I think, and I think Amare was almost implying that if the Suns would slow it down (sometimes - or more have more purpose and control on some possessions), to make more effort in letting Amare get into position. I know he sees his fair share of the ball but often its not in his ideal position. We are so balanced on offense though that its hard for that to happen. similarly goes for Boris, in the 3rd qtr i think they got the ball to Doris on the low block and he scored on Lewis with a great move. I think that was the only time he saw the ball in that particular position.

Dwight Howard gets fed in great position and dunks on everyone.

I feel guys like Barbs and Bell need to look inside more. Play inside out when the flow slows a lil. I'm not saying go away from that play free, shoot when your open, 7 seconds or less stuff but sometimes that can be harmful to our inside game.

End of rant.

Go Suns!

HooverDam

Reaction score
I got to go to the game, it was good fun, even though it was closer than it should've been at the end. Dwight Howards shoulders look even more massive in person. I kept making fun of JJ Redick when he came in, which was awkward, because I later found out that his family was sitting in the row behind me- whoops!

nowagimp

Reaction score
It was interesting to notice that howard pushed amare around physically alot easier than Diaw or Skinner. When Diaw got low, it didnt look so easy for Howard. Amare doesnt play low stance defense at all, I suspect he still has weak knees(or knee) and cant hold his position on the block, or blockout. Over the last few games it has been the same, amare is the easiest sun big man to push around on the low block. In the past I remember him being stronger than Boris down there. Opponents seem to sense his post injury weakness, and go right at him, push him around. I'll bet its on every teams scouting report. Hopefully he will get stronger as the season progresses, and not be so easy to manhandle down there. As he gets stronger, it will alleviate some the the pressure to double his man. I think amares early season (poor) defense may be due to his lack of strength in his lower body. We should be patient with amare, let him heal, its a long season. Come march, we will see what his D is like down there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was interesting to notice that howard pushed amare around physically alot easier than Diaw or Skinner. When Diaw got low, it didnt look so easy for Howard. Amare doesnt play low stance defense at all, I suspect he still has weak knees(or knee) and cant hold his position on the block, or blockout. Over the last few games it has been the same, amare is the easiest sun big man to push around on the low block. In the past I remember him being stronger than Boris down there. Opponents seem to sense his post injury weakness, and go right at him, push him around. I'll bet its on every teams scouting report. Hopefully he will get stronger as the season progresses, and not be so easy to manhandle down there. As he gets stronger, it will alleviate some the the pressure to double his man. I think amares early season (poor) defense may be due to his lack of strength in his lower body. We should be patient with amare, let him heal, its a long season. Come march, we will see what his D is like down there.

I think Amare gave up ground intentionally after he picked up his second foul. I'd love to be locked in a room with a ref when that kind of play occurs just to hear the justification. Howard banged into him several times with full force and Amare gets called for the foul - apparently for allowing himself to be knocked backward 10 or 12 feet. OTOH, that call notwithstanding, we easily got the better end of it from the refs in this game.

Steve

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think Amare gave up ground intentionally after he picked up his second foul. I'd love to be locked in a room with a ref when that kind of play occurs just to hear the justification. Howard banged into him several times with full force and Amare gets called for the foul - apparently for allowing himself to be knocked backward 10 or 12 feet. OTOH, that call notwithstanding, we easily got the better end of it from the refs in this game.

Steve

Perhaps, but yao, sola and many others have shoved amare around pretty easily this year, more easily than diaw. Amare stands too upright to control space under the rim. Diaw and skinner use deeper stances to control area(you must bend the knees, go into a bit of a crouch, unless youre shack or yao). Really its no different than football, to control space or take it you cant be upright when you use the strength in your lower body. Amare plays more upright this year than I remember, I suspect it has to do with the knee(s). Big guys put the most pressure on their knees, not from jumping, but from battling for position. You just cant battle or control space without bent knees, cant do it. Think about how KT(a master at it for his size) controlled space, he was almost never upright.