OT: The NFL in Los Angeles? Looks like it's a go

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Big news coming out of Los Angeles today about breaking ground on a new stadium to lure an NFL team to LA.

AEG, a huge entertainment company who have holdings which include Staples center, has announced a 30 year agreement with Farmers insurance for $700 mil to give them naming rights. The stadium would be called Farmers Field.

In summary, the target date to have the stadium completed is 2015. They are also looking to host Superbowl L (50) as the first ever SB was hosted in LA. (makes sense)

The following article list possible teams which may relocate to LA. San Diego, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis and Buffalo; mainly due to stadium leases.

Local reports have also indicated that LA might attempt to bring two franchises here.

Bottom line: LA will have the NFL again soon

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0201-la-nfl-20110201,0,4024907.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+%28L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories%29

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Farmer's Field?

Ugh, think of all the bad puns that will come out of that

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Jeez, just send the Rams and Raiders back to LA and it'll be an easy adjustment.

Los Angeles Bills? The Los Angeles Vikings of Anaheim? Orange County 49ers? Compton Jaguars? Wilmington Chargers?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I can see the Vikes packing their bags right now & the stadium roof (again)fiasco could've been the final straw.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Having a Stadium in LA will be a logistical nightmare; there is ZERO parking, so they'd have to build underground parking, they also want to put the Stadium at the site of the and existing building at LA Convention Center and would have to tear down the bulding that is still being paid for by bond holders I believe. 700 million is nice and all, but another 1.5 to 2 billion will have to put on the backs of the taxpayers to make this possible.

I think its a bad idea becasue its going to be an economic boondogle. They really should build it at the Carson City/City of Industry location...

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Having a Stadium in LA will be a logistical nightmare; there is ZERO parking, so they'd have to build underground parking, they also want to put the Stadium at the site of the and existing building at LA Convention Center and would have to tear down the bulding that is still being paid for by bond holders I believe. 700 million is nice and all, but another 1.5 to 2 billion will have to put on the backs of the taxpayers to make this possible.

I think its a bad idea becasue its going to be an economic boondogle. They really should build it at the Carson City/City of Industry location...

Did you watch the press conference? It was on live on Fox 11. They had Magic Johnson and the head of AEG talking about the logistical and monetary issues.

The estimated cost is $1 billion. Farmers has already chipped on $700 mil for the project. AEG is worth a ton of money, much of it generated from the revenue from Staples center. They have insisted and promised vehemently to mayor Antonio Villaraigosa that it will not cost tax payers a dime. It will be all privately financed. Them along with Magic Johnson will make sure it gets done in a peaceful, timely matter. Johnson sold all of his shares of the Lakers and Starbucks franchises to make this work.

They are going to tear down the West Hall of the LA convention center; however, the stadium itself is proposed to lure many of the conventions here to LA. As it stands, the city is 25th in the nation in convention center revenue, even with the LA convention center here.

The goal is to revive the culture of downtown Los Angeles. The city and AEG have been doing this for quite some time and have had success. Before 2000, it was a complete slum full of drug dealers and gang bangers. Now, it has improved leaps and bounds.

Alone, the football stadium is going to generate tons of revenue for the city and open up employment. They said it would create at least 50,000 jobs. Moreover, if they land Superbowl L, it would be a tremendous boon for the economy here, which is facing a budget crisis like no other (see Jerry Brown and his wild ideas of cuts and tax hikes).

The only question I have is parking, but typically, parking sucks at just about any football stadium so the standards cant be that high. I trust it will work itself out.

If they built it in Carson City or anywhere else, it would attract no attention. Carson is not a center point for LA/Orange County and the City of Industry is WAY out of the way. Where would they put it in Carson? They have the Home Depot center but it only holds 25k or so and is built for soccer. AEG is trying to kill two birds with one stone: bring the NFL back to Los Angeles and revitalize downtown LA. I dont see any issues moving forward

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
FWIW, last year the scout I know from Jax said that the plan was to be in LA in a couple years. But who knows.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Honestly, it'll be a real shame if any of the proposed teams move aside from Jacksonville, though I feel bad saying that since I'm sure there are die-hard Jags fans. I suppose San Diego fans would still have more opportunity to see their team than any of the others, but that's small consolation. There'd be a certain logic to the Raiders and Rams since they were there previously (and many would love to have the Raiders back), but to lose a team twice? And in Oakland's case, the same team to the same city? Bizarre.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, last year the scout I know from Jax said that the plan was to be in LA in a couple years. But who knows.

How are they supposed to get out of the iron clad lease they have for the next 15+ years?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its naming rights only and only if there is a new stadium. There still is no funding for the stadium or agreed upon location. Looks like just another public relations event. Much ado about nothing.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Its naming rights only and only if there is a new stadium. There still is no funding for the stadium or agreed upon location. Looks like just another public relations event. Much ado about nothing.

$700 mil naming rights. Largest ever for any professional team. AEG has already stated no public funding will be needed. All private. Magic Johnson, arguably the most influential man in LA is all over this. Villaragosa has already exclaimed, "football is coming back to Los Angeles" as his #1 motivation here is to bring jobs to LA citizens. Counsel members are already on board. It's a done deal for the most part. Way too much public support and private funding for it not to surface.

Do you honestly think that wont get things moving?

Trust me, this is the biggest breakthrough for bringing a team back to LA since the NFL left in 1995

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

The NFL wants a team in LA & will kick in big $$$ to see that it happens...SOON!!! IMO they will have a team announced to go their in no more than 2 years. I personally think its a bad move considering the NFL has failed their 3 times...but the NFL keeps making stupid decisions like adding 2 more games, overseas football & possible overseas Super Bowl.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who gives a rats ass if football ever goes back to LA? I know I don't.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I'm torn, I want the Vikings to move to LA because it would be the ultimate kick in the sack to Vikings fans, but it also wouldn't be the same not playing them twice every season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have football games to go to. i miss doing that out in LA. I could even see myself adopting them as a second favorite team, provided whatever LA team ended up here ended up being moved into the AFC West.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser