OT: The NFL in Los Angeles? Looks like it's a go

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are they supposed to get out of the iron clad lease they have for the next 15+ years?
This is from an old article (May 2010), but I guess it CAN be done (although it would be VERY costly):

According to the terms of that extended lease, the Jaguars would need to demonstrate three consecutive years of financial losses in order to activate the "exit clause" required to move the team.
On top of that, they'd then owe the city of Jacksonville their remaining rent on the stadium—around $60 million—in addition to compensation for lost revenue from taxes, parking, and other sources of income dependant on the Jaguars.
Linky

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm torn, I want the Vikings to move to LA because it would be the ultimate kick in the sack to Vikings fans, but it also wouldn't be the same not playing them twice every season.

Go with the latter--you should never want your rivals to move. Rivalries are special. And of all divisions, that one should stay as it is.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Los Angeles Vikings???

Not doing it for me. Though I imagine the players would be pretty damn happy.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two good things could happen from this.. 1st) Card sfans in SoCal can go to the games.. 2nd) If the Rams can go back to LA, it would take away from all the LA Rams fans that come to UofP every year away.. I hate them pricks..

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two good things could happen from this.. 1st) Card sfans in SoCal can go to the games.. 2nd) If the Rams can go back to LA, it would take away from all the LA Rams fans that come to UofP every year away.. I hate them pricks..

If anything that would make more Rams fans at games in AZ. It is only a 4 hour drive for goodness sake.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anything that would make more Rams fans at games in AZ. It is only a 4 hour drive for goodness sake.

How do you figure? The closest they get to a home game right now is driving to Glendale.. If the Rams moved back, they'd get 8 home games.. Why would they bother driving out here to see them one time a year as it currently is?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure? The closest they get to a home game right now is driving to Glendale.. If the Rams moved back, they'd get 8 home games.. Why would they bother driving out here to see them one time a year as it currently is?

Because they are rabid football fans. Are you trying to say you wouldn't go to LA to watch the Cardinals? I know I would?

Look how Packer, Steeler, and Raider fans travel? Fans travel. You are definitely more likely to get fans of an opposing team when they are 4 hours away compared to several states.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they are rabid football fans. Are you trying to say you wouldn't go to LA to watch the Cardinals? I know I would?

Look how Packer, Steeler, and Raider fans travel? Fans travel. You are definitely more likely to get fans of an opposing team when they are 4 hours away compared to several states.

LA Rams fans are rabid fans? We must be thinking of two different set of fans.. The ones I see look like they can only afford to go to one game a year and a Card sgame was the closest they could get to by driving.. I dont think anyone has ever labeled LA Rams fans as rabid.. Interesting ..

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Rams fans are rabid fans? We must be thinking of two different set of fans.. The ones I see look like they can only afford to go to one game a year and a Card sgame was the closest they could get to by driving.. I dont think anyone has ever labeled LA Rams fans as rabid.. Interesting ..

All NFL fans are pretty rabid. Some more than others. but if you think you are likely to have less fans from a team who is only 4 hours away your delusional. FACT!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All NFL fans are pretty rabid. Some more than others. but if you think you are likely to have less fans from a team who is only 4 hours away your delusional. FACT!

I just think your not willing to admit your wrong so your continuing this debate under duress of knowing Im right... It's ok.. :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think your not willing to admit your wrong so your continuing this debate under duress of knowing Im right... It's ok.. :D

Your dead!

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
But why do you care is the question?

1. It's kind of embarrassing that the NFL is not in the 2nd largest market in the US
  2. As a new citizen of LA/Metro, it would be nice to catch a game locally, especially if the Cards come to town.
  3. The economy here needs a shot in the arm. The stadium will bring at least 50,000 jobs to a state with an unemployment rate hovering 12% along with the revenue.
  4. Downtown will be a more attractive place to hang out
  5. I know you hate LA and it bugs you that I care. :D

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wouldn't use the word "rabid" but I would use the word "loyal". If they build the stadium and bring in a team the fans will come. There are fans (like myself) who supported the players but not Georgia Frontier's ownership of the team. Heck, the players didn't support Georgia's ownership of the team.

The team didn't do well in the last few years in Anaheim. But the basic fan base was there. Come to think of it there were rabid fans: The Watermelon heads who even traveled to St. Louis to support the team their first game.

Magic Johnson is one of the most powerful and beloved people in L.A. The fact that he's behind this speaks volumes. Farmers is supplying the bucks. For the first time since Tagliabue let Georgia grab that big handful of sweaty money and move the team I've got a little hope in my heart that a wrong will be righted.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would make more since to me if one of the Afc or Nfc west teams move to LA. The league reconstructed the division to make sense of teams locations. What makes sense is that the Raiders return to LA so the league doesn't have to listen to Al Davis sueing them for the rights for LA. I would even like the Rams to move back to LA. Just makes sense to me.

I read somewhere on Nfl.com a few weeks back that the Jaguars have a 30 year lease with their stadium which would make it very very difficult for them to move.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would make more since to me if one of the Afc or Nfc west teams move to LA. The league reconstructed the division to make sense of teams locations. What makes sense is that the Raiders return to LA so the league doesn't have to listen to Al Davis sueing them for the rights for LA. I would even like the Rams to move back to LA. Just makes sense to me.

I read somewhere on Nfl.com a few weeks back that the Jaguars have a 30 year lease with their stadium which would make it very very difficult for them to move.

Except for Dallas and St. Louis....Jerry Jones bullied the NFL to keep the Cowturds in teh NFC East

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push to move USC into the new stadium. They could also probably host of the PAC-12 championship game or get into the BCS rotation. They'll make money either way.

Wonder what the Coliseum people think of this? Might as well just tear that place down.

chickenhead

Reaction score
No way--the Coliseum has hosted TWO Olympics. It should be a historic site, IMO. But I've also heard that the basic renovations they've done have made a difference.

As far as visiting fans in AZ, it depends on who it is. Raiders, definitely a lot. Chargers, most likely since both their past and present market will be close. Rams, yes because of the LA, STL, and AZ overlaps. Vikings, I'd assume so, since there are many Vikings fans in the Valley during football months. Though I actually wonder how many would then be cheering for the Cardinals against the team that betrayed them...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet if the Internet was around when the Minnesota Lakers (yes, Minnesota...you know, The Land of 10,000 Lakes) moved to Los Angeles there would be a lot of threads just like this one saying "The LA Lakers? I don't see it...it doesn't even make sense, eh."

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
  1. It's kind of embarrassing that the NFL is not in the 2nd largest market in the US
  2. As a new citizen of LA/Metro, it would be nice to catch a game locally, especially if the Cards come to town.
  3. The economy here needs a shot in the arm. The stadium will bring at least 50,000 jobs to a state with an unemployment rate hovering 12% along with the revenue.
  4. Downtown will be a more attractive place to hang out
  5. I know you hate LA and it bugs you that I care. :D

If LA fans were so loyal, how did they lose 2 NFL teams at the same time?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser