Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3264286

Owens likely out for season
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago

Terrell Owens' injured ankle will likely keep the receiver out for the rest of the season, according to the Philadelphia Eagles.

There is an outside chance that Owens would be able to play in the Super Bowl, that is if the Eagles advance to the NFL's title game without their play-making receiver.
It was the worst-case scenario for the Eagles, who have thrived offensively with Owens in the lineup.

The first MRI Monday on Owens' sprained ankle was inconclusive.

Owens was hurt on the second play of the third quarter of Philadelphia's 12-7 win over Dallas on Sunday when he was dragged down from behind by Roy Williams on a 20-yard reception. Owens immediately grabbed the back of his leg, which was bent backward, but left the field on his own power.

Owens has 77 catches for 1,120 yards and a team-record 14 touchdowns for Philadelphia (13-1), which has secured home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

MORE TO COME

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the NFC is now wide open.

Without TO, the Iggles aren't that great. ATL is a paper tiger. Everyone else is mediocre.

Wow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW.

As ridiculous as this sounds - as bad as we are - if we somehow snuck into the playoffs, I would like our chances against anyone (except for the Vikings - I think they have too much firepower).

I don't like to see harm on anyone, but I do think it's kinda funnyt hat the Eagles will have to go into the playoffs once again - with home-field advantage - and likely lose to whoever they play in the title game.

If Carolina gets in - I wouldn't be shocked to see a repeat trip to the Super Bowl.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
WOW.

As ridiculous as this sounds - as bad as we are - if we somehow snuck into the playoffs, I would like our chances against anyone (except for the Vikings - I think they have too much firepower).

I don't like to see harm on anyone, but I do think it's kinda funnyt hat the Eagles will have to go into the playoffs once again - with home-field advantage - and likely lose to whoever they play in the title game.

If Carolina gets in - I wouldn't be shocked to see a repeat trip to the Super Bowl.

Laying bets on Carolina to win the super bowl at 30-1 odds. Good value.

I also think we could hang with anyone save Minnesota...Moss would eat us up, I fear.

OP
OP
Jttsaz

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Eagles' Owens likely done for season
Story Tools: Print Email
Dan Gelston / Associated Press
Posted: 5 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Philadelphia Eagles star receiver Terrell Owens will miss the rest of the regular season and possibly the playoffs and Super Bowl with torn ligaments in his right ankle.

Owens needs surgery and stands only an outside chance of being able to play in the Super Bowl on Feb. 6 if the Eagles make it that far, head trainer Rick Burkholder said.
Owens was hurt on the second play of the third quarter of Philadelphia's win over Dallas on Sunday when he was dragged down from behind by Roy Williams on a 20-yard reception. Owens immediately grabbed the back of his leg, which was bent backward, but left the field on his own power.

"He's a great player, but can the offense go on? Absolutely," coach Andy Reid said Monday. "We have some pretty good players on this offensive unit, so it'll still function and do very well this week."

Owens, who has 77 catches for 1,120 yards and a team-record 14 touchdowns, hobbled on the sideline, then needed help to make it into the locker room.

Owens has missed just seven games in his nine-year career. Acquired in an offseason trade, he has been a major catalyst in the Eagles' 13-1 record, providing a spark to an offense that often stagnated late in the season - even though Philadelphia made the NFC championship game the last three years without him.

The win over Dallas gave Philadelphia home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Eagles play next Monday night at St. Louis and finish the season on Jan. 2 at home against Cincinnati. Philadelphia will open the playoffs Jan. 15 or 16.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And in related news all Philadelphia bridges have been shut down for the week! :p

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wembley88 said:
This is bad news. I can see the lambs turning them over next week.

I think it actually makes them more likely to beat the Rams next week. So often when teams get a big injury like this they get the "We all have to pick it up a notch" mindset and play better for a game or two. Long term though, the Eagles are in trouble. Next Monday, I think they will be trying to make a point to everyone who is saying they are done.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I think it actually makes them more likely to beat the Rams next week. So often when teams get a big injury like this they get the "We all have to pick it up a notch" mindset and play better for a game or two. Long term though, the Eagles are in trouble. Next Monday, I think they will be trying to make a point to everyone who is saying they are done.
I was thinking the same thing. McNabb is going to have to get in a rhythm with his other receivers. I see Philly coming out and trying to stick it to St. Louis, especially on MNF.

OP
OP
Jttsaz

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Philly should still be able to take care of the Rams...Andy Reid won't let this team slip..The Eagles will be more motivated than ever to show teams teams they can win without TO. The Rams have been plain awful for weeks..

since week 7
Oct 24 @Dolphins L 14-31
Nov 7 Patriots L 22-40
Nov 14 Seahawks W 23-12
Nov 21 @Bills L 17-37 5-5
Nov 29 @Packers L 17-45
Dec 5 49ers W 16-6
Dec 12 @Panthers L 7-20
Dec 19 @Cardinals L 31-7
Unless Philly and NYJets just don't bother to show up the Rams will have a difficult time winning either of these games. I think the Rams are done. They will not recover from getting beat 31-7.

Seattle has the best chance right now due to the Cardinals road performance...a win over Arizona would probably clinch it for Seattle...and Atlanta can be beat...Even if the Cards beat the Hawks I would favor Seattle over the Falcons. Still there is a chance..Could have controlled the division with a win over San Fran... :mad:

cardswillwin

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Cards play the Vikings take the Cards. Green knows that team inside and out. Mike Tice is a moron.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
WOW.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Look at the teams in the playoff hunt. As bad as we've been almost every NFC playoff team we've beaten the last 2 years. Atlanta we played close this year, shutting down Vick and us without Boldin. If we face them again we can beat them. Philly with TO is the best team in the NFC, without him their offense regressed a lot. The only team that really dominated us is Carolina.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
cardswillwin said:
If the Cards play the Vikings take the Cards. Green knows that team inside and out. Mike Tice is a moron.
Btw Vikings will choke once again in the playoffs. :wave:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As bad as the NFC sucks, we still suck ass on the road and wouldn't get past the second round even if we were playing a mediocre team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we play any team that focusses on the run we're in trouble, we have had trouble stopping it all year and especially in our worst losses.

Without Owens Philly is still really good, but not as explosive, does really open things up in the NFC.

Simozona

AussieCard
Reaction score
I'll bet the eagles win the superbowl now! With T.O missing out on his only chance at real glory!
I hope im wrong but i have a feeling!:roll:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that many would not agree with me, but the 98 Cardinals were NOT much better than they are right now. We were fortunate in 98 in finish with three REALLY lousy teams that year: @ Philly (pre-McNabb era), New Orleans @ home, SD @ home. Every game was close, but we managed to win & no one gave us much of a chance against the Pokes in the 1st round of the playoffs. If we managed to win out & sneak into the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win at least 1 playoff game. We'd play MN or GB in the 1st round & there's a reason they are both only slightly over .500. Their DEFENSES are bad. If our O continues to put up 30 a game & our D isn't on the field all day, we could be either of these teams. We've psychologically proven that we can play with Atlanta. I really don't think the Falcons are as good as their record. Carolina & Philly are the 2 best teams right now & Carolina is not a sure bet to get in. With or without Owens, the Eagles are a SOLID team top to bottom. Reid would find our weaknesses & abuse us. Their D would force mistakes & they would run it down our throats. I still think the Eagles go to the SB!!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough Break for Us?

We need the Eagles to beat StL on Monday.

The loss of T.O. can cut 2 ways. Either -

A. It diminishes the Eagles, talent-wise, puts the team in a deep funk and/or frightens the coaches so that they'll only play backups against StL.

Or

B. The rest of the team rallies together to overcome the loss of T.O. and Reid plays his starters in order to get them to jell on offense without Owens in the lineup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
I know that many would not agree with me, but the 98 Cardinals were NOT much better than they are right now. We were fortunate in 98 in finish with three REALLY lousy teams that year: @ Philly (pre-McNabb era), New Orleans @ home, SD @ home. Every game was close, but we managed to win & no one gave us much of a chance against the Pokes in the 1st round of the playoffs. If we managed to win out & sneak into the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win at least 1 playoff game. We'd play MN or GB in the 1st round & there's a reason they are both only slightly over .500. Their DEFENSES are bad. If our O continues to put up 30 a game & our D isn't on the field all day, we could be either of these teams. We've psychologically proven that we can play with Atlanta. I really don't think the Falcons are as good as their record. Carolina & Philly are the 2 best teams right now & Carolina is not a sure bet to get in. With or without Owens, the Eagles are a SOLID team top to bottom. Reid would find our weaknesses & abuse us. Their D would force mistakes & they would run it down our throats. I still think the Eagles go to the SB!!!!

So is the home/road determined by record or division finish? In other words if we win the NFC West at 7-9 and play Minnesota or Green Bay who finish at 8-8 but get a wildcard berth, would we be at home or on the road?

Makes a huge difference, winning AT Lambeau or in that loud noisy dome would be MUCH tougher than winning at SDS.

chickenhead

Reaction score
If we can put such a hurting on the Rams, the Eagles can do it without TO. Hopefully Westbrook will have a great game, and the Rams will continue reeling.

OP
OP
Jttsaz

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So is the home/road determined by record or division finish? In other words if we win the NFC West at 7-9 and play Minnesota or Green Bay who finish at 8-8 but get a wildcard berth, would we be at home or on the road?

Makes a huge difference, winning AT Lambeau or in that loud noisy dome would be MUCH tougher than winning at SDS.

As the division winner the Cards would host atleast 1 home wildcard playoff game...

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Eagles should still be able to handle the Rams without TO. I doubt they'll make it to the Super Bowl without him though. Close, but no cigar, once again.