Paging Michael Bidwill...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When a down franchise is trying to become a perennial Super Bowl contender---the best thing it can do is look for a head coach who could give the team a competitive edge---e.g. someone who can bring something special to the equation.

The Cardinals hit the jackpot when they hired Don Coryell---an innovative coach who was one of the great pioneers of the modern passing game that is now thriving in the NFL and in the NCAA.

Coryell---was a very intriguing hire, to say the least. He talked with a lisp and he hardly looked like someone in the Vince Lombardi, Don Shula or Chuck Noll mold---but he was brilliant and confident in the edge he could bring to the football field.

What the Cardinals are currently lacking is a head coach who brings that special intangible to the table---Ken Whisenhunt is an able coach and he has accomplished some outstanding feats in Arizona---but Whisenhunt's recent teams are not thriving in his area of expertise: offense. That is a significant red flag. This was the special intangible that made Whisenhunt a very intriguing hire six years ago.

And when Whisenhunt decided to put the offense in the hands of OC Todd Haley and QB Kurt Warner---the results were eye-popping.

The most asked question since Todd Haley and Kurt Warner left the organization is just how much their influence had to do with team's unparalleled offensive success.

In watching Warner at work---his forte was in developing tremendous chemistry and timing with all of his WRs, and even better, finding the mismatches he and the WRs felt they could exploit with whatever the opponent happened to be that week.

Just this past Monday night on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown, analyst and ex-Viking star WR Cris Carter was talking about Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals' offense's current woes and avowed that when Warner was the QB, Warner had the game plan and play calls down pat by Wednesday of each week.

For those of us who watched with profound curiosity as Kurt Warner stood on the sidelines furiously writing notes in a little notebook as his Cardinals were getting walloped by the Packers in Week 17. Essentially what Warner was doing was writing the blueprint for what was one of the most stunningly brilliant game plans in the history of the NFL playoffs---a game in which Warner virtually had to lead his offense to a score every time it got the ball because the Packers' offense was far too much for the much-beleaguered Cardinals' defense to stop.

Kurt Warner's line in the 51-45 OT win: 29/33 for 379 yds. 11.5 ypa, 5 TDs, 0 int. 1 sack for -4 yards.

Now three and a half years after Kurt Warner left the organization the only semblance of special that is being manifested by the Cardinals is the job that defensive coordination Ray Horton has done with the once hapless Cardinals' defense----in particular over the past 17 games, Horton's defense has paved the way for an 11-6 record which included wins over the 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, Patriots and Eagles (twice).

Horton---an NFL coaching anomaly of sorts---a slight man who dons on his scalp tight lines of corn rows (if one didn't know better one might think he was a percussionist for a reggae band rather than an NFL coach)....a philanthropist who upon leaving the Steelers sold his 1999 Mercedes SL500 to a cafeteria worker for $20 as a parting gift of thanks---a fiercely competitive coach who brings a brash attack-mode style of defense to the field, a style the players have relished and embraced as they pile up QB sacks and pressures.

When a coach can turn around a defense as bad as the Cardinals' was---that coach is special.

Last year, the job Horton did the Cardinals was being noticed across the league, as Horton was interviewed by the Rams for their head coaching vacancy. Apparently, the Rams were extremely impressed with how dynamic and well informed Horton was in his interview. The interview was clearly not a perfunctory Rooney Rule affair. Horton came very close to being offered the job.

About the same time last year another head coaching candidate was wowing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers so much so that he was their #1 choice. After what appeared to be an agreement---the coaching candidate changed his mind, because as he said, "I have unfinished business at Oregon."

His name: Chip Kelly.

Chip Kelly is the closest thing to Don Coryell the league has seen in decades.

Kelly is revolutionizing the college game with his up-tempo, high speed offense. Plays are called at the line of scrimmage by single one syllable words. The QB is fast---the RBs are lightning quick and the WRs are speedsters. They play at a fevered pace---they score from all angles and distances and they put up astronomical numbers...recently to the tune of 50 something points per game.

His teams don differently unique duck-feathered uniforms and space age helmets seemingly every week.

In just his 4th year as the HC in Oregon (where he was promoted to HC from OC)...Kelly's record is 43-6 overall, and 31-2 in the PAC-12. His team lost in the NCAA BSC Championship game two years ago on a last second field goal to Cam Newton and the Auburn Tigers. Last January, his team beat Russell Wilson's Wisconsin in the 2012 Rose Bowl by the score of 45-38. Numerous Rose Bowl records were broken in that fast paced thriller---one of which was the 621 yards of total offense the Ducks gained on the Badgers---and check out this distribution of yards: 345 rushing, 276 passing.

Cynics will maintain that Kelly's offense wouldn't work in the NFL---but there are numerous NFL execs who don't care what the cynics say. One NFC exec recently said: "Kelly runs the best practices I have ever seen. I would hire him in a minute if I had the opportunity."

Watching Kelly and his Ducks at work at USC last night during their 62-51 win, what stands out is how well-prepared Kelly's offense is and how well coached they are in terms of never letting the pedal off the metal.

For example---just as USC was mounting a furious charge and getting within a one-score distance from the lead, Oregon came up a yard short on third and 5 near midfield---and---facing a critical 4th and 1---without any sideline discussion of the options at all, the Ducks rushed back into their formation and immediately threw to the back WR in a two man WR stack---the first WR made the block on the CB and the WR with the ball was easily able to gain the first down and a few yards more.

Here again is what the one syllable play calls and week-long situational preparation can do for a team.

Recently, Kelly's phone line has been buzzing from calls from Bill Belichick who has been asking Kelly to explain his offense and his play calling system to him. Turns out that when Belichick was in his first year as an NFL assistant under Ted Marchibroda of the Colts---Marchibroda was employing one word play calls (of course not for plays as elaborate as today's plays)---but the thinking was similar---get the plays communicated and set up as quickly as you can in order to give the team as best a competitive edge as possible.

Lastly, Kelly is quite the anomaly himself. Three years ago when an Oregon season ticket holder traveled to Boise St. to watch the season opener in the game that Oregon lost---the game where Legarrette Blount threw a punch at a Boise St. player after the game and was thereafter suspended, the season ticket holder said afterward that he would like to have his money back (air fare and hotel) for going to that debacle of a game---and two days later Kelly sent the ticket holder a personal check for $450.

Apparently the ticket holder never cashed the check...and has enjoyed the recent Rose Bowl and BSC Championship game trips, win or lose.

Paging Michael Bidwill...paging Michael Bidwill...

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Whis' fault to me is his inability to address the OL with the organization and not his coaching on the field which has cost this team on the field. After all, what can you do in a game when your line is that bad. I do not fault him on the QB situation as much because the failure of Leinart set this franchise back as any team that selected a QB high in the draft who fail and QBs really are hard to find. I see nothing that makes Kelly better in the aspects which Whis has failed at and the only endorsement for Kelly in this area is that he never failed because he never ran a pro team...which is hardly enough for me to say fire Whis and hire him in my opinion.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Whis' fault to me is his inability to address the OL with the organization and not his coaching on the field which has cost this team on the field. After all, what can you do in a game when your line is that bad. I do not fault him on the QB situation as much because the failure of Leinart set this franchise back as any team that selected a QB high in the draft who fail and QBs really are hard to find. I see nothing that makes Kelly better in the aspects which Whis has failed at and the only endorsement for Kelly in this area is that he never failed because he never ran a pro team...which is hardly enough for me to say fire Whis and hire him in my opinion.

My biggest problem with whiz is his adherence to a system that his personnel are clearly unsuited to adequately executing.

He's had more than enough time to adjust either one, the people or the system and so far he's fallen far short in either case. I am always Leary of college coaches in the NFL. It's an entirely different animal.

I wouldn't bail on whiz yet. Many times hard times are the best forge to finally get a coach to change. I want to see one more year out of him. I want to see how well he addresses what's wrong.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without question Kelly would design some creative plays to get guys like fitz, pp involved in the game instead of same ole crap that doesn't work! This is whiz's main problem just refuses to adjust thinks his system works, and it just doesn't!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Without question Kelly would design some creative plays to get guys like fitz, pp involved in the game instead of same ole crap that doesn't work! This is whiz's main problem just refuses to adjust thinks his system works, and it just doesn't!

Like I said, what system WOULD John Skelton be good for?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My point is, with how bad the offensive line and Skelton have looked, no one would get much out of this personnel group.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOu can't seriously believe that offense will work in the NFL?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
While I agree this team needs a dedicated and experienced offensive coordinator, this thread is typical Mitch. This team is limited by it's QB and offensive line, end of story.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While I agree this team needs a dedicated and experienced offensive coordinator, this thread is typical Mitch. This team is limited by it's QB and offensive line, end of story.

Put a good LT on this team and we would be 7-2.

Put a good QB on this team and we would be 7-2.

Our issues are mostly personnel, but that doesn't fully absolve this coaching staff from guilt.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Our issues are mostly personnel, but that doesn't fully absolve this coaching staff from guilt.

I do not agree with this one. Kolb was already missing TDs, and Skelton just isn't getting it done regardless.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see what Marty Schottenheimer could do with this team.

I know he is old, but the team would be disciplined and would block and tackle.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score

So the choice that was made to bring back our overpriced LT and Kolb to the tune of 18+mil is finally admitted a bad choice.
Guys that have never got it done, weren't going to be on the field to start the season( one to injury, the other to being beat out and the fear he is made of glass which is proven)seems as though it was a really bad decision by the coaches and Gm. Had they actually passed on bringing these guys back as many felt they should, we would be in a better position for the future. These choices have to get these guys fired or this is an incompetant franchise( as if that is in doubt)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me the most lately is during simple game management decisions.

For instance. Twelve minutes left to play and 2 touchdowns down yet we still are in relax mode. Where is no huddle? Where is the sense of urgency? We haven't scored 2 touchowns in a game in what seems to be ages. Yet we continue to play like we have all the time in the world. Like a 12 play 9 minute drive would do us good.

Why does it take 8 1/2 games to make the change at LT?

Here's my thoughts on John Skelton whom I have dubbed Herman Munster. I don't know of any QB that is so slow and has such a slow release. He constantly throws late and he stares down his receivers. He has zero mobility which is becoming more and more a neccesity in today's NFL.

Unfortunately, Whiz and his systematic way of thinking will not impose any change. You know, I know and the whole football world knows that one of this teams biggest question marks , even if Kolb returns, is the QB position.
That being said just what will it take to get a look at Lindley? Since we really need to assess the position for next year, when do we start?

I'll tell you when. Around the second half of game 16 or preseason next year. The only other way is injury.

Bottom line is the system is broke. Things need to change. Things cannot remain status quo.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
When a down franchise is trying to become a perennial Super Bowl contender---the best thing it can do is look for a head coach who could give the team a competitive edge---e.g. someone who can bring something special to the equation.

The Cardinals hit the jackpot when they hired Don Coryell---an innovative coach who was one of the great pioneers of the modern passing game that is now thriving in the NFL and in the NCAA.

Coryell---was a very intriguing hire, to say the least. He talked with a lisp and he hardly looked like someone in the Vince Lombardi, Don Shula or Chuck Noll mold---but he was brilliant and confident in the edge he could bring to the football field.

What the Cardinals are currently lacking is a head coach who brings that special intangible to the table---Ken Whisenhunt is an able coach and he has accomplished some outstanding feats in Arizona---but Whisenhunt's recent teams are not thriving in his area of expertise: offense. That is a significant red flag. This was the special intangible that made Whisenhunt a very intriguing hire six years ago.

And when Whisenhunt decided to put the offense in the hands of OC Todd Haley and QB Kurt Warner---the results were eye-popping.

The most asked question since Todd Haley and Kurt Warner left the organization is just how much their influence had to do with team's unparalleled offensive success.

In watching Warner at work---his forte was in developing tremendous chemistry and timing with all of his WRs, and even better, finding the mismatches he and the WRs felt they could exploit with whatever the opponent happened to be that week.

Just this past Monday night on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown, analyst and ex-Viking star WR Cris Carter was talking about Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals' offense's current woes and avowed that when Warner was the QB, Warner had the game plan and play calls down pat by Wednesday of each week.

For those of us who watched with profound curiosity as Kurt Warner stood on the sidelines furiously writing notes in a little notebook as his Cardinals were getting walloped by the Packers in Week 17. Essentially what Warner was doing was writing the blueprint for what was one of the most stunningly brilliant game plans in the history of the NFL playoffs---a game in which Warner virtually had to lead his offense to a score every time it got the ball because the Packers' offense was far too much for the much-beleaguered Cardinals' defense to stop.

Kurt Warner's line in the 51-45 OT win: 29/33 for 379 yds. 11.5 ypa, 5 TDs, 0 int. 1 sack for -4 yards.

Now three and a half years after Kurt Warner left the organization the only semblance of special that is being manifested by the Cardinals is the job that defensive coordination Ray Horton has done with the once hapless Cardinals' defense----in particular over the past 17 games, Horton's defense has paved the way for an 11-6 record which included wins over the 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, Patriots and Eagles (twice).

Horton---an NFL coaching anomaly of sorts---a slight man who dons on his scalp tight lines of corn rows (if one didn't know better one might think he was a percussionist for a reggae band rather than an NFL coach)....a philanthropist who upon leaving the Steelers sold his 1999 Mercedes SL500 to a cafeteria worker for $20 as a parting gift of thanks---a fiercely competitive coach who brings a brash attack-mode style of defense to the field, a style the players have relished and embraced as they pile up QB sacks and pressures.

When a coach can turn around a defense as bad as the Cardinals' was---that coach is special.

Last year, the job Horton did the Cardinals was being noticed across the league, as Horton was interviewed by the Rams for their head coaching vacancy. Apparently, the Rams were extremely impressed with how dynamic and well informed Horton was in his interview. The interview was clearly not a perfunctory Rooney Rule affair. Horton came very close to being offered the job.

About the same time last year another head coaching candidate was wowing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers so much so that he was their #1 choice. After what appeared to be an agreement---the coaching candidate changed his mind, because as he said, "I have unfinished business at Oregon."

Kelly is revolutionizing the college game with his up-tempo, high speed offense. Plays are called at the line of scrimmage by single one syllable words. The QB is fast---the RBs are lightning quick and the WRs are speedsters. They play at a fevered pace---they score from all angles and distances and they put up astronomical numbers...recently to the tune of 50 something points per game.

His teams don differently unique duck-feathered uniforms and space age helmets seemingly every week.

In just his 4th year as the HC in Oregon (where he was promoted to HC from OC)...Kelly's record is 43-6 overall, and 31-2 in the PAC-12. His team lost in the NCAA BSC Championship game two years ago on a last second field goal to Cam Newton and the Auburn Tigers. Last January, his team beat Russell Wilson's Wisconsin in the 2012 Rose Bowl by the score of 45-38. Numerous Rose Bowl records were broken in that fast paced thriller---one of which was the 621 yards of total offense the Ducks gained on the Badgers---and check out this distribution of yards: 345 rushing, 276 passing.

Cynics will maintain that Kelly's offense wouldn't work in the NFL---but there are numerous NFL execs who don't care what the cynics say. One NFC exec recently said: "Kelly runs the best practices I have ever seen. I would hire him in a minute if I had the opportunity."

Watching Kelly and his Ducks at work at USC last night during their 62-51 win, what stands out is how well-prepared Kelly's offense is and how well coached they are in terms of never letting the pedal off the metal.

For example---just as USC was mounting a furious charge and getting within a one-score distance from the lead, Oregon came up a yard short on third and 5 near midfield---and---facing a critical 4th and 1---without any sideline discussion of the options at all, the Ducks rushed back into their formation and immediately threw to the back WR in a two man WR stack---the first WR made the block on the CB and the WR with the ball was easily able to gain the first down and a few yards more.

Here again is what the one syllable play calls and week-long situational preparation can do for a team.

Recently, Kelly's phone line has been buzzing from calls from Bill Belichick who has been asking Kelly to explain his offense and his play calling system to him. Turns out that when Belichick was in his first year as an NFL assistant under Ted Marchibroda of the Colts---Marchibroda was employing one word play calls (of course not for plays as elaborate as today's plays)---but the thinking was similar---get the plays communicated and set up as quickly as you can in order to give the team as best a competitive edge as possible.

Lastly, Kelly is quite the anomaly himself. Three years ago when an Oregon season ticket holder traveled to Boise St. to watch the season opener in the game that Oregon lost---the game where Legarrette Blount threw a punch at a Boise St. player after the game and was thereafter suspended, the season ticket holder said afterward that he would like to have his money back (air fare and hotel) for going to that debacle of a game---and two days later Kelly sent the ticket holder a personal check for $450.

Apparently the ticket holder never cashed the check...and has enjoyed the recent Rose Bowl and BSC Championship game trips, win or lose.

Would be exciting to see in the desert. Forget Philly. :p

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What bothers me the most lately is during simple game management decisions.

For instance. Twelve minutes left to play and 2 touchdowns down yet we still are in relax mode. Where is no huddle? Where is the sense of urgency? We haven't scored 2 touchowns in a game in what seems to be ages. Yet we continue to play like we have all the time in the world. Like a 12 play 9 minute drive would do us good.

Why does it take 8 1/2 games to make the change at LT?

Here's my thoughts on John Skelton whom I have dubbed Herman Munster. I don't know of any QB that is so slow and has such a slow release. He constantly throws late and he stares down his receivers. He has zero mobility which is becoming more and more a neccesity in today's NFL.

Unfortunately, Whiz and his systematic way of thinking will not impose any change. You know, I know and the whole football world knows that one of this teams biggest question marks , even if Kolb returns, is the QB position.
That being said just what will it take to get a look at Lindley? Since we really need to assess the position for next year, when do we start?

I'll tell you when. Around the second half of game 16 or preseason next year. The only other way is injury.

Bottom line is the system is broke. Things need to change. Things cannot remain status quo.

It takes 8.5 games because he is a 7th round rookie who was drafted because the has great athleticism but needs to improve his strength. He showed that today as he struggled with power moves.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not many Don Coryells come along these days. I think Whiz is 85% gone already. Who does the owner lean on for advice about a head coach? Sure hope it is not Graves as he should also be on his way out. I think we will draft high enough to be able to get a possible good QB. If one is available that is clearly our greatest need. After that there are many needs so who will be making the draft picks. If it is the same old person or persons they have failed miserable. What ever we have been doing needs to be changed. I was not upset today as who really thought we even had a chance. When our short yardage RB is 5'7" 185 lbs you cannot expect much although this young man gives you every thing he has. I wonder if he can last the season with the pounding he is taking.

Did not Mr. Bidwill lock Don Coryells office door when he sent him on his way?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We could just as easily be 2-7. It's hard to say any one thing could turn things for a team that has won one game out of its last 27 in convincing fashion. That being the Eagles game this season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If it takes firing Wiz for Grimm to leave....... Do it.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great work-up Mitch. While I am never one to turn my nose up at innovation, I still have a hard time hitching my wagon to a college coach coming into the pros. Maybe it is just the 'old' in me that causes that, because after all, I do like what a college coach is doing at Seattle. But then again, he WAS from SC, (a place that actually ran a pro game in college, payments and all), so I guess he already had a head-start on the system. I am not going to do any hating on your idea, (on the contrary, I like what you see in the guy and his system). I am just from the school of thought that believes that the best replacement for a moderately successful pro coach, is a MORE successful proven PRO coach. I would be lining my ducks, (no pun intended), up behind Sean Payton instead, if I were looking to replace Whiz.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Chip Kelly's gimmick offense will work in the NFL. In fact, one of the reasons it works in colllege is because college teams are limited in their practice time and are not prepared on a weekly basis. When teams have had time to prepare for Oregon, Oregon usually loses. Ohio State held him to 17 points and Auburn to 19 points when they had time to prepare. Even in 2009, when Boise St had time in the season opener, they held him to 8 points. The NFL would figure him out rather quickly.