Pat Burke......wtf....?

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Be stunned. He dropped three 3's (including one of Majerle/Ruffin length) in about 3:30 of play at the end of the 4th. He also got a couple nice boards. It was pure comedy. The crowd was BEGGING him to shoot....

brady_44

Reaction score
Dude, that was awesome. He had like 3 rebounds and 3 threes at the end of the game and the crowd was going nuts. After his first two, Raja put up a 3 and the crowd booed because they wanted Burke to get it. ...such good times.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, that was awesome. He had like 3 rebounds and 3 threes at the end of the game and the crowd was going nuts. After his first two, Raja put up a 3 and the crowd booed because they wanted Burke to get it. ...such good times.

Totally, the crowd booed and Raja was actually trying to tie an NBA record with the shot. Not cool, but it was nice to see Pat shoot well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had 6 straight games with 4 or more 3PT. John Starks holds the record with 7.

He had 3 and went back into the game to try and get the 4th.

brady_44

Reaction score
I didn't know he was going for a record. I was wondering why he was in the game though. I was rooting for Burke, but I don't know how anyone could boo Raja.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't believe Pat Burke's selfishness last night. He had to have known Raja had a chance to tie an NBA record and instead he decided to launch 4 3's and become a black hole on offense. Sure he made some, but he robbed Raja. I don't know why he thinks that everytime he gets into a game that he's got to launch 3ptrs. I know the crowd is cheering for him to shoot it, but it's more like they want to laugh at his stupidity than actually see him make them.....like he's some kind of circus sideshow (freakshow).

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As far as the Bell record thing, I don't really think that should have been such a big deal. Those types of "records" seem arbitrary and not really worth "trying to get." I mean, a few games from now he might be going for the "most consecutive games with at least 3 3-pointers," but nobody remembers those. Who knows, maybe Burke now holds the record for most 3-point field goals made while not getting off the bench until the last 4 minutes of a game. Maybe not.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
If you saw his post-game interviews it was obvious how much Raja himself enjoyed the PB show in those last few minutes. He had a big grin on his face, and said he was glad Burke get the court time and hit the shots because he's a great guy who works his butt off in practices and was, at that very minute, on the treadmill.

To me, watching that interview was almost more gratifying than the win. It was proof positive that the Suns have a rock-solid team concept. They care about each other and their collective successes way over and above personal accomplishments.

Raja's a huge fan favorite. The contingent of fans who booed him for taking that last 3 were just going along with the goofiness of the moment and he knew that.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Raja said the right things when the camera was on, but he was disappointed according to a blog on Suns.com by Jeramie McPeek:

Bell was disappointed, understandably, but in no way upset with PB.

“You know what? I probably shouldn’t have even been out there,” he said. “That’s their time. They work too hard in practice every day for me to be out there chasing a record. So I don’t care. If Pat’s hot, I want to get him the ball, because he deserves that.”

http://suns.marqui.com/blog/suns01_12060601.aspx

nowagimp

Reaction score
Totally, the crowd booed and Raja was actually trying to tie an NBA record with the shot. Not cool, but it was nice to see Pat shoot well.

Yeah, a stupid crowd, whats new though? the kings seemed to be aware of Raja trying to set the record as they were defending him, but almost no-one else. I guess since they werent focused on winning they focused on denying the record ... and leaving Burke wide open every time down the floor.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
The last Pat Burke show resulted in a blown 30+ point lead and the starters having to finish the game.

I'm all for having fun, but it would be great if the guys who rarely get to play, get out there and perform in the role we would ask them to if it hit the fan and they were called on.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The last Pat Burke show resulted in a blown 30+ point lead and the starters having to finish the game.

I'm all for having fun, but it would be great if the guys who rarely get to play, get out there and perform in the role we would ask them to if it hit the fan and they were called on.

Exactly, Burke should be in the post trying to get rebs. If we actually had to use him in a real game situation and he's on the perimeter shooting 3's then he's not helping the team (unless he's shooting 75%). If Burke really wanted to sniff playing time in a non-blowout game then he'd be serious about his time on the court and try to impress the coaches in the post, not clowning around on the perimeter.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Pat's 3 pointers also upset Kings coach. Hey, the guys rarely gets off the bench, let him enjoy...

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
"Raja said the right things when the camera was on...."

...and I believe they were honest and genuine. If you think back to last year, Raja has a history of flat-out telling it like it is when the camera's on and not worrying much about what's politically correct and what isn't.

Like everything else, there are degrees of disappointment. If I buy a lottery ticket and don't win, I'm disappointed.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Pat's 3 pointers also upset Kings coach. Hey, the guys rarely gets off the bench, let him enjoy...

What really ought to upset the Kings coach is their transition defense for the whole game. Pat Burke is the least of his worries.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I couldn't believe Pat Burke's selfishness last night. He had to have known Raja had a chance to tie an NBA record and instead he decided to launch 4 3's and become a black hole on offense. Sure he made some, but he robbed Raja. I don't know why he thinks that everytime he gets into a game that he's got to launch 3ptrs. I know the crowd is cheering for him to shoot it, but it's more like they want to laugh at his stupidity than actually see him make them.....like he's some kind of circus sideshow (freakshow).

:stupid:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for adding something constructive to the conversation. Apparently you enjoy Pat Burke shooting 3's and goofing off on the court. I'd prefer him to take his job seriously and act like a C. Yet I didn't call you stupid for your opinion.

Edit: My mistake, I just thought you were calling my opinion stupid

Last edited:

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
"Exactly, Burke should be in the post trying to get rebs."

Just to be fair, he did get two rebounds in his short 3 minutes, not a bad rate. I'm not Burke's agent or anything -- it's just hard to see why everyone's so bent out of shape over something that obviously made D'Antoni laugh, the bench jump up cheering, and the crowd go nuts. Or must we all focus on finding whatever we can to be unhappy about......

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Exactly, Burke should be in the post trying to get rebs."

Just to be fair, he did get two rebounds in his short 3 minutes, not a bad rate. I'm not Burke's agent or anything -- it's just hard to see why everyone's so bent out of shape over something that obviously made D'Antoni laugh, the bench jump up cheering, and the crowd go nuts. Or must we all focus on finding whatever we can to be unhappy about......

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head. I bet this wouldn't have been an issue, if Raja sinks that last 3 pointer with 40 sec to go.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's not like Raja didn't have his chances, what did he shoot, 3/10 from three?

As for Burke, if he misses the three point shots does Musselman care? Probably not.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to Elvis and Sarver, Suns reserve Pat Burke took the stage. The little-used forward, who is known for his comic relief among the fans, hit three three-pointers in the final 1:24, pushing the lead to 25 points while hamming it up for the crowd.

Musselman wasn't amused, hollering toward the Phoenix bench to "keep putting up threes." Six of the Suns' last eight attempts were three-pointers.

Asked about the late barrage, Musselman said, "Again, we'll give them credit for the game."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni pleaded innocence in the matter.

"What am I supposed to do, tell them to miss?" he asked.
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/88416.html