Pats -13 for this Sunday, which way do you go?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am so torn on this because I could see the game going multiple ways. What is sad is due to Lindley being our primary backup, the game being on the road and the Pats ability to score in bunches, I think I take the Pats. I believe the Cards do have a legit shot in this game, but I would rather win money and be wrong about that than the other.

God help Cardinals fans.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the cards and the points...defense decent and garbage points to make it close :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Time for Odds, betting and lines 101.

Never been a betting guy, nor do I pay attention to lines or odds so I dont know what the they mean.

- What does 'over/under' mean?

- What does spread mean?

- What does cover mean?

- What is/a The Line?

- What does -13 mean?

- What does "take the points" mean?

- What do you have to do to "win" in line betting?

Thats all for now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still take the Pats. Brady and Gronk will shred the Cards secondary. Cards OL will really struggle on the road.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
- What does 'over/under' mean? The amount of total points scored in the game, and sometimes the amount of wins in a season.

- What does spread mean? The amount of points that must be given or taken away from the final margin of victory in order for the bettor to win. For example, if the Pats are -13, then the Patriots have to win by 14 points or more for the bet to pay off.

- What does cover mean? "Cover" means to reach or exceed the spread on that particular bet. The Cards could lose the game on Sunday, but to the bettor on the spread that doesn't matter, because if we only lose by 10 points, we'd cover, and the bet would pay off.

- What is/a The Line? The "line" in the case you're talking about is synonymous with "spread." There's also a "money line" bet, where you are not betting "against the spread," but only to win. In that case, you get odds on your payoff. I'm guessing that the money line on the Cards winning is something like +250, which means that if you bet $100, you'd win $250 more than your bet if the Cards won outright. The money line on the Pats might be -300, which means that you'd have to bet $300 to win $100.

- What does -13 mean? That's the spread and the line.

- What does "take the points" mean? It means that you take the team not to win outright, but to take the losing team and the margin of victory.

- What do you have to do to "win" in line betting? Walk away from the sports book. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still take the Pats. Brady and Gronk will shred the Cards secondary. Cards OL will really struggle on the road.

sadly, I agree. this will be one of the uglier games of the year, but we'll rally with a W next week when everyone picks against us again.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Never been a betting guy, nor do I pay attention to lines or odds so I dont know what the they mean.

- What does 'over/under' mean?

- What does spread mean?

- What does cover mean?

- What is/a The Line?

- What does -13 mean?

- What does "take the points" mean?

- What do you have to do to "win" in line betting?

Thats all for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_betting

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

- What does 'over/under' mean? A bet on the combined number of points scored in a game.

- What does spread mean? The amount one team is favored by. Our game currently has a 13 point spread.

- What does cover mean? It means to cover the spread, for New England they would be required to win by 14 or more.

- What is/a The Line? I'm guessing this is in reference to the "money line", which is a bet placed solely on a team winning or losing the game, regardless of spread. For New England the "money line" in this game is -900, which means if you bet 100 dollars you'd get a 1/9th return on your money, so 11 bucks, plus your 100 back. For the Cardinals the money line is +650, so you'd win 650 on a 100 dollar bet (plus your 100 back) on a Cardinal wager.

- What does -13 mean? Thats the spread.

- What does "take the points" mean? When you bet on the underdog in a spread game its called "taking the points". The Cards are "getting" 13 points in this game. If they were to lose 27-17 you would still win your bet if you took "the Cards and the points."

- What do you have to do to "win" in line betting? As mentioned a few questions back. Line betting ignores the spread and instead wagers entirely on winners, but rather than the roughly 1:1 payout you get in spread wagers, the payout in line betting varies dramatically based on favorites.

Thats all for now.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the same when I bet the house going into Baltimore last year... Cards sure showed me. :bang:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks for the intel.

Gosh damn that seems complicated and lame.

Whatever happened to:

"Betcha $5 the Cardinals beat the Patriots"

-"No way dude, your on"

"Alright but if I win and you dont pay up im going to beat you to death with a roll of quarters."

guess Im just old fashioned.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the same when I bet the house going into Baltimore last year... Cards sure showed me. :bang:

Yeah, I felt like that was free money too. But I dont see the Pats spotting us 20+ points through turnovers and special teams the way Baltimore did.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Thanks for the intel.

Whatever happened to:

-"No way dude, your on"

"Alright but if I win and you dont pay up im going to beat you to death with a roll of quarters."

The whole system is set up to generate equal action on both sides of the bet. So, for example, if loads of people take the Pats-13, you might see the spread grow to -14, -15, -16 in order to coax a few more bets on the Cards plus the points.

A straight-up bet like you cite would be lopsided in favor of the Pats. And Vegas no likely lopsided bets.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And Vegas no likely lopsided bets.

Unless it favors the house.

Heard of 2 to 1, 5 to 1, odds. etc? MEaning If I win, you pay me $5, but if you win, I have to pay you $20, because it is a lopsided game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HAHAHA. You and me both. Damn it.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think the Cards have a decent chance to cover, no way I'd bet it though (then again, I don't bet on sports - so no way I'd bet pretty much anything though)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
we're not covering. our offense SUCKS. our defense, while better, still isn't elite. and we're giving up big chunks of real estate on returns on special teams. last week we met a team that's virtually a carbon copy of us, poor offense, good (but not great) defense, spotty special teams. and we scraped by with a win because we were at home (no doubt we lose that game on the road).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget to tell Bodha about the "juice".

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My 2 cents....

Don't go with your heart! Pats are ready to put up big #'s. Not saying $$ isn't important but when you're losing 21-3 mid-way through the 2nd qtr. it softens it a bit. ...And IF the Cards somehow stay close? Then emotionally you're really into it. Bottom line...GO LIGHT! :)

Mark in SC :)

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
It is 6:1 for the Cardinals to win this week, and 1.11:1 for the Pats at my local betting place. I bet on the Cardinals because why the hell not.
Cardinals win is the biggest possible upset this week, 58% more than the next biggest upset, (Tampa vs NYG).

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the intel.

Whatever happened to:

-"No way dude, your on"

It's really not that complicated, Bodha.

"Dude, I betcha $5 the Pats win the game by at least 13."

"Ok, you're on, man".