Payton says he won't report to Boston

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Gary Payton, 36, remains the property of Boston. In a phone interview Friday, Payton said he would retire before reporting to Boston.

"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

Payton is due to earn $5.4 million in the last year of his contract. If he doesn't report and isn't traded again, Payton would not get paid.

"I don't care about that," Payton said. "If it goes down, I'll quit. I can go on and do something else."

Payton said had he known the Lakers were going to trade him, he wouldn't have exercised his contract option for next season.

"They used me to sign so they could get other players," Payton said. "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get (nothing). It's about respect. They (the Lakers) didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?"

http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_lakers_14.a0e91.html

sunsfn

Reaction score
This guy has always been a jerk!

This thing about respect is wearing thin, coming from NBA players making millions of dollars!

I hope they just let him quit and not trade him anywhere!

:mad:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reports on GP had been that he was more upset with the Lakers than unhappy with the Celtics. In any case, he is being hypocritical because everyone knows the reason he didn't exercise his out clause was that no one would pay him $5.4 million after the year he had.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can see him backing up Parker in San Antonio (with some additional time at SG, of course). Payton for Malik Rose is a perfect salary match and would give Boston a player they can really use.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Renz said:
"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

He wont move his family so no disrespect to Boston, but he wont mind moving them to Houston or Minny. Hypocrite

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry im not a payton fan by any means. but i certainly dont blame him for retiring instead of going to the celts.

he is at the point in his career both financially and mentally to where he doesnt have to do anything he doesnt want to which is his right.

boston should have inquired first. the lakers used him and he should be mad!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can see him backing up Parker in San Antonio

Oops, I forgot that they added Brent Barry. So that idea doesn't make much sense. Sorry, forget it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see the Celtics trading GP to the Clippers for Jaric. The Clippers don't have enough room under the cap to take the entire GP salary, but by sending back Jaric it would cut the Celtic's salary structure by about $3.3 million:

PAYTON - $5.4 Million (one year)
JARIC - $2.1 Million (one year)
--------------------
Difference $3.3 million

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A one year contract, I would imagine the Clippers would jump on that.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton is a close friend ofKevin Garnett and at one time many felt he would be playing with the Wolves. I could see the Celts working a trade with the Wolves for Wally Szczerbiak. (Danny A really likes Wally) Of course I'm not sure how both Sam Cassell and Payton would fit as both are PGs. Just my two cents. :shrug:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As somebody already pointed out, Gary Payton didn't stay with the Lakers because of loyalty or anything like that. He did it for the money. At least that is what was reported. I do, however, have a hard time believing that a team like Houston wouldn't have given him their full mid-level exception in a one or two-year deal.

Malik Rose has a horrible deal. I don't think there's any way Boston would make that trade unless San Antonio really sweetened it.

Did the Lakers even want him to stay in Los Angeles? The media sure made it sound like they would have preferred that he opted out of his contract.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for him to go to Minnesota or Houston if he is complaining about having to relocate his family. I could understand the LA Clippers but not those other two teams.

Joe Mama

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i think that the only reason boston made the trade is so they would have some salary cap relief after next year. if payton refuses to report then i bet that they just let him retire.

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
At this stage of the game I think Payton named Houston and the Timberwolves because he thinks he can help them win a championship, which is the only thing to him worth being away from his family for. If my family new how important it was for me to achieve something in my career that has eluded me for all these years, I'm sure they would let me try at least one more time. No clue why he didn't list San Antonio though.

I also feel the Lakers are really pressing thier luck with the way they are handling players that are eventually going to be in the hall of fame. This can't be good for the reputation of the Lakers organization, which is great for us because of the way the Suns have gone all out to treat players respectfully.
:D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
My3Suns said:
I also feel the Lakers are really pressing thier luck with the way they are handling players that are eventually going to be in the hall of fame. This can't be good for the reputation of the Lakers organization, which is great for us because of the way the Suns have gone all out to treat players respectfully.
:D

I agree that the Lakers most likely aren't helping their player relations to much. However, they are one of 2 franchises that doesn't have to worry about it. Just as players looked past Layden's and now Thomas's stupidity (and record of discarding players) to join the Knicks, players will look past the way Kupchak acts in order to play for the Lakers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Malik Rose has a horrible deal.

I agree that a Rose/Payton trade makes no sense (as I confessed in a later post, I had forgotten about Barry), but I disagree that Rose has a horrible deal. He has a horrible deal for someone who plays 10 minutes a game in a system where he's unwelcome. If he were to play 25 or so minutes a game -- which I think he'd get easily in Boston -- his deal isn't so bad at all.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Weren't there already rumors before the expansion draft about a 3 way deal between Bos/Phx/SA that died? Actually, it may have been near the trading deadline, since I think Bos was giving up expiring deals.

IIRC, Boston was giving Phx expiring contracts, SA gave Bos Rose and the Suns were going to send either White or Eisley (most likely White) to SA.

If SA REALLY wanted to get out of the commitment they have with Rose (which is possible since he and Pop hate each other I guess), I would trade Eisley straight up for Rose (It works under the cba).

SA gets a 2 year shorter contract. I am guessing that would mean a lot to them since they obviously don't plan on playing Rose ever. Assuming Eisley never plays either, might as well have 2 less years on the books.

The Suns get a bruiser PF that is willing to come off the bench if need be. Rose killed us in the playoffs 2 years ago (along with Jackson), and he would be very effective. Especially at his money, he makes like 5.5 million I think.

The way I see it, if the Suns aren't going to get a good center, this makes a lot of sense. Rose is exactly the type of player we have talked about Amare needing next to him in the lineup. He may be a little short, but he plays a lot bigger than he is.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If SA REALLY wanted to get out of the commitment they have with Rose (which is possible since he and Pop hate each other I guess), I would trade Eisley straight up for Rose (It works under the cba).

I think that's a reasonable deal for both teams. Rose isn't a great player, but he's not bad, still not quite 30, and certainly hungry to play a larger role. For the larger contract, I think the Suns would be able to insist on getting their pick debt from the Barbosa deal erased. Also, they'd get a trade exception of about $1 million, which might come in handy later.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
az jam said:
Payton is a close friend ofKevin Garnett and at one time many felt he would be playing with the Wolves. I could see the Celts working a trade with the Wolves for Wally Szczerbiak. (Danny A really likes Wally) Of course I'm not sure how both Sam Cassell and Payton would fit as both are PGs. Just my two cents. :shrug:

sam and gary played together briefly in milwaukee. in fact, they were rather effective together.