Per Urban: Cards have cap room to work with

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me if the Cardinals hang onto the rest of that money till after the draft, possibly into cut weeks. Carson Palmer's name comes to mind in a situation like this. It's already been reported the Cardinals are keeping close tabs on that situation. If Oakland drafts Geno, cuts Carson, the Cardinals would need that money to sign him. Hoyers contract doesn't become guaranteed till day 1 of training camp so that nets us another $2M.

Now that's just a hypothetical with Carson. The same logic can be applied to other players who may not be on their teams in the near future.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 39m
Az will carry 12.4M in dead money against the cap, rookie pool 6.5M leaves them w/ 5-6 million, #'s could change based on signings/releases.

This is a lot different than $8.5 million available.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am sure he would love to tell Bidwill that he added another $4M or $7.5M to $12M in dead money we already have?

Bidwill should be thrilled with dead money. He's already paid it. Dead cap money is money that the team doesn't have to spend this year. They gain cashflow out of dead money.

Especially when they don't take on new big contracts within the same year.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 39m
Az will carry 12.4M in dead money against the cap, rookie pool 6.5M leaves them w/ 5-6 million, #'s could change based on signings/releases.

This is a lot different than $8.5 million available.

People need to stop using the entire rookie pool of $6 - 6.5mm as money against this year's cap. Only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. Only the 1st & possibly 2nd picks will count. Probably looking at ~$1.5 - 2mm, so we easily have $8.5 - 9mm left to spend on FAs. Sorry to say, but Jurecki is misinformed.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
Exact cap space seems difficult to come by. I tend to agree that they are saving some space in the event of other cuts and possibly for Cribbs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It would be wise to pay that dead money now and not have to hit our cap for another 5M next year by cutting him then (if we draft Warmack that is)...
Completely agree was just pointing out that if we cut both Snyder and Colledge it would be more than 7.5M in dead money. It would actually be around 11M.

Ttownman

Reaction score
I hope Arians raids the Squeelers. Harrison Starks Sanders and Legursky. Bring Dansby back too!