Pete Kendall

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The_Soothsayer said:
He's been a model citizen here in NY.

I'm glad we have him.
It's amazing what being cut will do, also he is playing G for you. He was playing center for us.

Down here he didn't want to move back to G which is his natural position.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Russ-

Let's not forget, in order to protect Pete Kendall playing out of position to prolong his career, we put the #2 overall pick in the draft, the left tackle from Texas that blocked for LaDanian Tomlinson, AT GUARD.

Now Leonard Davis is back where he belongs, left tackle, and Pete "lis franc" Kendall is back at guard, being protected by the best center in the NFL.

That Pete/Jake interaction is news to me, but let's face it, Kendall was wrong about Jake Plummer just like everyone else.

Huh? We drafted Big to play RG, Kendall was playing LG, how is it Pete's fault that Big wasn't put at LT? Shelton was the LT that's why Big wound up at RG. He's a great run blocker but he still can't pass block and he's good for a false start and a hold a game it seems. Love to hear your theory on how Kendall being at LG meant we had to play Big out of position though.

In a preseason game Jake was yelling at someone and Kendall turned around and said something like "shut up and worry about how YOU are playing." It was one one of those ESPN shows where they have players caught on tape and stuff, we talked about it here quite a bit. At the time Kendall was being called a team leader, people felt it was about time someone held Jake accountable for his play, that was then, this is now.

FYI Bowlen says he wants to keep Jake around, but Shanahan still hasn't said whether he wants to I think he will, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that since rumors surfaced they weren't going to pick up Jake's option, He's had 6 TDs 0 picks and stopped being so careless.

Gotta give him credit, he lit up houston for 4TD's when their defense was rated quite high, of course Manning did it the next week for 5 td's but they were a legit good defense and Jake lit them up. he should light up Oakland this week too, not much defense in Oakland. Got his career high already 21 td passes in 10 games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Good job Clif.

I'm in a crazy mood today.

Back to the fishing talk.

Yeah quit highjacking the fishing thread Lex. :)

I was too busy trying to figure how it was Pete's fault Big was at RG, didn't even see the LT reference.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Denver's not picking up Jakes option?

Right.

Jake would look good in Cardinal red again.

Denny could REALLY piss off some people around here with that move.

Go Denny!

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:

Right.

Go Denny!

Denny likes QBs that can stand in the pocket and throw downfield, Jake needs an offense that lets him move around. That would cause a riot on here though.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Lex said:

Right.

Go Denny!
That would be hilarious. I'd like to see it just for the mayhem.

A good offensive system, three good wideouts, Lamont Jordan and DeAngelo Williams and a defense that can get you the ball back... Who wouldn't want to play QB here?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
at this point I would not overly object to having jake back at QB for the cards

:ducks:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:

Right.

Go Denny!

Didn't say that, said there were reports after the 2 INT fest games that Denver wasn't going to pick up his option because of the huge amount of money and all the mistakes. Bowlen came out and said he loved Jake if it was up to him Jake would be back, but that it was Shanahan's decision. Shanahan refused to comment in public. The Denver papers said that Shanahan told Jake in essence, knock it off if you want to be the QB next year.

Since then 6 TD's 0 picks, and Shanahan has publicly said he thinks Jake is playing well. Still said nothing about the bonus but I figure at this point barring collapse, he'll be back.

6 games left he has 3 horrible defense, Oakland, KC and Indy, and 2 good ones, Miami and Tennessee, and then San Diego who has improved to middle of the pack on d although their run defense is much better than pass. Given that schedule he'll almost assuredly be back. Barring injury he'll get 30 TD passes, and since they're not running him nearly as much, he may make it through the season. 8 rushes in the last 5 games combined.

No question Jake is proving a lot of critics wrong, still turns it over a lot but far more productive than I ever thought he could be.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
No question Jake is proving a lot of critics wrong, still turns it over a lot but far more productive than I ever thought he could be.
so why so down on Josh? that is what I can't understand. why McCown can't be given more time to prove himself. The NFL is full of guys who sucked their first couple of years and eventually turned it on. This is why I am still confused on the "Josh will never get it done" postings of some.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
so why so down on Josh? that is what I can't understand. why McCown can't be given more time to prove himself. The NFL is full of guys who sucked their first couple of years and eventually turned it on. This is why I am still confused on the "Josh will never get it done" postings of some.

Simple. Jake had 15 TD passes as a rookie in 9 starts, and people on usenet back then will confirm, I LIKED Jake, thought he had potential to be a steal. Then 98 we should have won the division, Jake started slowly, we wound up getting a WC berth. i was happy, figured he'll stop all the turnovers as he matures. THen all downhill from there, never learned to protect the ball.

But at least Jake made SOME plays, he wasn't great here but he was far more productive than Josh ever has been. My thing with Josh is as I've said before, I just don't think he responds well to challenges. I think if he went back in now he'd probably show that again. I'd hope he learned from the benching, many do, but his history says when things don't go right, he doesn't respond well.

Yes I want a QB who protects the ball but I don't want a guy who does it by just putting the ball in his pocket if the WR isn't running free with the DB on the ground writing in pain having pulled a hammy.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yes I want a QB who protects the ball but I don't want a guy who does it by just putting the ball in his pocket if the WR isn't running free with the DB on the ground writing in pain having pulled a hammy.
But what if the receiver was simply wide open without any sort of injury to the CB--should he throw it then? See, Russ, this arguement isn't so vlack and white as you think it is.

;)

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
But what if the receiver was simply wide open without any sort of injury to the CB--should he throw it then? See, Russ, this arguement isn't so vlack and white as you think it is.

;)

Arguments are rarely vlack and white.

:D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Simple. Jake had 15 TD passes as a rookie in 9 starts, and people on usenet back then will confirm, I LIKED Jake, thought he had potential to be a steal. Then 98 we should have won the division, Jake started slowly, we wound up getting a WC berth. i was happy, figured he'll stop all the turnovers as he matures. THen all downhill from there, never learned to protect the ball.

But at least Jake made SOME plays, he wasn't great here but he was far more productive than Josh ever has been. My thing with Josh is as I've said before, I just don't think he responds well to challenges. I think if he went back in now he'd probably show that again. I'd hope he learned from the benching, many do, but his history says when things don't go right, he doesn't respond well.

See really Russ here is where I differ on Josh.

A good arguement could be made that he simply dosen't have the psychological makeup to be a QB because of the tentativeness or you could simply conclude he wasn't comfortable throwing downfield to our WR because most of the year that was Williams and Fitz.

Now follow me here it takes time to get used to a WR and most of us can see that you can throw jump balls to Fitz and he will catch them but then again it flys in the face of your training that is pounded into your head and could make at least a relatively new starting QB tentative in doing that. It just isn't normal and it's like jumping off a high dive it takes faith and then it gets easier.

My whole take on the matter is that the book closed without enough time to say for sure he couldn't do it. To me in watching him he still had potential still did a lot of good things and never really had a downfield threat that would help him air it out.

Green knows more than I do, he runs the meetings watches the film and so I assume he saw things that just closed that book. Josh has guts and to me a QB over valuing the ball is a better starting place than one that dosen't and just wings it.

Josh has the arm to let it fly but he may have incorrectly assumed that as long as I protect the ball and win I will keep my job.

DG did him a huge disservice if he talked out of both sides of his mouth and didn't warn Josh about this and didn't make it clear he wanted him to take more chances. The problem I have with DG is that is entirely possible that he did that.

He in essence did at least in public, he said Josh needs to play better on the last few starts one being a very windy game that they obviously meant to air it out in only to find out Josh and Warner for that matter couldn't throw into the wind very well.

Most of Greens public comments seemed to re-enforce the idea that is wasn't all Josh and that everyone needed to pick up their game. We don't know what was said in private but it isn't hard for me to believe DG just wasn't taking the shakles off for his own reasons and let Josh take the fall for it.

The crux of the situation is that if you were in the meetings and didn't see a clear warning from DG on exactly what he wanted then Josh was in fact doomed from the start.

When I couple that with the lack of a deep threat it spells trouble to me.

Jake had his best success here throwing to either Boston or Moore both of whom could get deep Boston more than Moore but he had a knack with Moore just the same and when they left he tanked.

I don't think that is a total coicidence.

Last edited:

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Man hands ...lmao.

Puffy shirt.
Soup Nazi.
Going commando.
Sponge worthy.
The big salad.
Was it a titleist?
Close talker.

That show changed our vocabulary.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
See really Russ here is where I differ on Josh.

A good arguement could be made that he simply dosen't have the psychological makeup to be a QB because of the tentativeness or you could simply conclude he wasn't comfortable throwing downfield to our WR because most of the year that was Williams and Fitz.

Now follow me here it takes time to get used to a WR and most of us can see that you can throw jump balls to Fitz and he will catch them but then again it flys in the face of your training that is pounded into your head and could make at least a relatively new starting QB tentative in doing that. It just isn't normal and it's like jumping off a high dive it takes faith and then it gets easier.

My whole take on the matter is that the book closed without enough time to say for sure he couldn't do it. To me in watching him he still had potential still did a lot of good things and never really had a downfield threat that would help him air it out.

Green knows more than I do, he runs the meetings watches the film and so I assume he saw things that just closed that book. Josh has guts and to me a QB over valuing the ball is a better starting place than one that dosen't and just wings it.

Josh has the arm to let it fly but he may have incorrectly assumed that as long as I protect the ball and win I will keep my job.

DG did him a huge disservice if he talked out of both sides of his mouth and didn't warn Josh about this and didn't make it clear he wanted him to take more chances. The problem I have with DG is that is entirely possible that he did that.

He in essence did at least in public, he said Josh needs to play better on the last few starts one being a very windy game that they obviously meant to air it out in only to find out Josh and Warner for that matter couldn't throw into the wind very well.

Most of Greens public comments seemed to re-enforce the idea that is wasn't all Josh and that everyone needed to pick up their game. We don't know what was said in private but it isn't hard for me to believe DG just wasn't taking the shakles off for his own reasons and let Josh take the fall for it.

The crux of the situation is that if you were in the meetings and didn't see a clear warning from DG on exactly what he wanted then Josh was in fact doomed from the start.

When I couple that with the lack of a deep threat it spells trouble to me.

Jake had his best success here throwing to either Boston or Moore both of whom could get deep Boston more than Moore but he had a knack with Moore just the same and when they left he tanked.

I don't think that is a total coicidence.

I am there with you conrad. I think there is no question that Josh has all the tools to be successful and I think it really comes down to a matter of not wanting to make the big mistake. It was obvious after the ATL, once he had all the fumbles he took the loss really hard.

I think it is more the responsibility of the QBs coach to get that worked out with Josh and tell him to take more chances.

I think there is still a very good chance he will get it together, but I hate to see him waste time on the bench while we try this King experiment.

I do believe that Josh will get another shot to be the man. it may not be for a few weeks, but I really doubt we dump a guy after a handful of starts in a new offense especially with the low income he is getting at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I am there with you conrad. I think there is no question that Josh has all the tools to be successful and I think it really comes down to a matter of not wanting to make the big mistake. It was obvious after the ATL, once he had all the fumbles he took the loss really hard.

I think it is more the responsibility of the QBs coach to get that worked out with Josh and tell him to take more chances.

I think there is still a very good chance he will get it together, but I hate to see him waste time on the bench while we try this King experiment.

I do believe that Josh will get another shot to be the man. it may not be for a few weeks, but I really doubt we dump a guy after a handful of starts in a new offense especially with the low income he is getting at this point.

That's really the crux of our disagreement(and myself and Conrad too). i think this is not a lack of experience or lack of coaching, it's a personality trait in Josh, lack of confidence, doesn't respond well to adversity.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That's really the crux of our disagreement(and myself and Conrad too). i think this is not a lack of experience or lack of coaching, it's a personality trait in Josh, lack of confidence, doesn't respond well to adversity.

I think he can overcome it, as he experiences success. He has to start making those throws. the more plays he makes the more his confidence will grow

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Josh is a more gentle Ryan Leaf. When things go well, he gets fired up and is emotional. When things aren't going well, he hangs his head and doesn't really seem to communicate with his teammates. I saw first hand at the Bills game how he stood apart from the team during the tv timeouts. Everyone else was talking to each other and he was a good 4 or 5 yards away from his team.

By the way, ESPN Classic played Texas vs Texas A&M the last 2 days, and I gotta say, Randy McCown looked pretty good!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The_Soothsayer said:
He's been a model citizen here in NY.

I'm glad we have him.

Bah, He is a good time Charlie. If everthing is going well then he is doing well, but when the *blank* hits the fan he is a pain.

He was un-healthy, and did not buy into Denny Green's system. So he was cut.
:wave:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Piper said:
Greetings from NY. I have a question for you Cards fanatics.

What was the reason Green cut Kendall? He has been a strong addition to our o-line and I wanted to get some background from the folks who know.

Good luck on Sunday. Between King and Carter, it looks like we're looking ata defensive struggle.

I think our coach was trying to make some sort of statement as we sure could use a Pete Kendall. We are starting a rookie in his place in an OL that has produced horrible results. Kendall probably did not jump when Denny said jump. It was a bizzare move on Denny Green's part. He also fired our OL Coach a couple of weeks ago and hired a guy who had never been a coach. Figure that out. You got a good guy and I wish we still had him. We have a long history of losing very good players.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Toro said:
Kendall was a cancer and was injury prone.

Our cancer patients suddenly get cured when they leave AZ. Simeon Rice was a real cancer. Left here. Became all pro. Won a superbowl ring. We got a few more cancer patients like him that also got cured. We need a new Doctor in the house that Mr. B built.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
john h said:
Our cancer patients suddenly get cured when they leave AZ. Simeon Rice was a real cancer. Left here. Became all pro. Won a superbowl ring. We got a few more cancer patients like him that also got cured. We need a new Doctor in the house that Mr. B built.
Sure come off sounding pretty bitter John. Thanks for getting the thread back on topic though. Rice never wanted to be here cancer or not. There has been change this season. Kendall was collateral damage IMO. DG looked down the line and asked the tough Question. Will I pay Kendall to sit half the season on the shelf or play some cheap guy and draft a center. He did the latter. They say he was a club house lawyer as well. He had a foot injury that is hard to judge. He has missed time on the Jets also. He was a quality player when healthy but at his price he could not be counted on. Not when the rest of the line was overpaid but had upside. Kendall had no upside longterm so he was sent packing. If he squealed to the players association then it was the right decision but he was overpaid and had no longterm upside in DG offense. Mr. B has started to get out of the way of the football people. You of all people should appreciate this. You have been around longer than most. The Changes made will hopefully get us some more playoffs in yours and my lifetime. Hope against hope for a SUPER BOWL. I think that is what we all want.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05