Pete Kendall

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Count me in as solidly agreeing with Conrad, Clif, and Rats.

And disagreeing a lot with some of Russ's contentions.

I think one ofthe great points made was that about Denny's proclivity to simply rule by fear and talking out both side of his mouth in regard to Josh.

I refuse to see how Greens modus operendi in handling the Josh situation can inspire much trust in most of the players on the team.
Yea maybe a couple of guys like Fitz and Quan might like the change right now.
But Green handling it the way he did, just reinforces that rule by fear mentality. Rule by fear can get you some results, especially short term, but it also usually creates a lack of trust in you from most players, because they see with their own eyes, that no matter what the Coach says, one day he may seem your greatest supporter, the next he's plunging a dagger in your back.

I think Josh ended up simply trying too hard to please Green. But Green, on his part, didn't always give Josh the guidance and leadership he evidently needs as this point.

To me a big question that hasn't been addressed enough in all this chatter is ....
How much of this "conservative" offense that has been brought up was due to Josh and how much of it was Green? I think that's its as reasonable, if not more so, to think that maybe some of the conservative play calling was simply the coaches creating their own self-limiting play calling.

One thing I noticed about this last game. I will try and review it for sure, but at one point King came off the field after another of his numerous screw ups, and he and Green got in a little "conversation" on the side line....and it sure looked like King was giving Green a "piece of his mind" and disagreeing with whatever it was Green was saying to him.
King has got that Randall Cunningham, Jeff Blake type ego, that evidently is not afraid to get verbally in Green's face.
I just don't see Josh being able to get away with that if he tried it now.
And I don't even see Josh trying it in the first place.
He knew he needed to improve some areas. But as a good soldier, trusting your coach, you just try and go out and do what he tells you to do.

He just seems like a big puppy dog trying so hard to please his master.
And in this case got his head blown off for it.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW...the Kendall telling Jake to shut up and worry about his own play happened in the San Diego pre season game.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Count me in as solidly agreeing with Conrad, Clif, and Rats.

And disagreeing a lot with some of Russ's contentions.

This makes me very very happy to be siding with some of the opinions of Russ and Lex (Rats too a little) on this. Green's here, like it or not, and if a player's not trying to be part of the solution, he's a part of the problem.

When I saw the tape of McGinnis' press conference after the Minnesota win last year, and I saw Kendall all tearry-eyed rubbing Mac's shoulders during the speech, I felt Kendall should be gone myself. How dare you suck up to such a horrible coach who obviously hasn't a clue how to run a football team! Yeah, McGinnis is a good guy, but he's not going to be a head coach (or even coordinator) again anytime soon.

IMO, Kendall is part of the McGinnis regime that needed to go. Adrian Wilson epitomizes the part of the McGinnis regime that needed to be coached up to succeed, and I believe Green has accomplished that with several players.

Next ass to be cut has to be Wendell Bryant. How long will he even stay on the roster?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Next ass to be cut has to be Wendell Bryant. How long will he even stay on the roster?

I dunno, but I will say that he should stay on the roster longer than Ross Kolodsjunkie.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gaurantee that when/if Green gets fired here, the main knock on his management style will be that he was too friendly with the players. Not that he "ruled by fear".

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This team is way improved. How many timeouts have we called in the 1st Q this year vs 2003? LOL! One more draft and FA like we had in 04' and we'll be even better. Green is a little flakey. But whatever. As long as he gets results I'm happy.

and hes gettin em.

However, If King goes out and turns it over four more times on Sunday, I'm going to be POed.

On a side note, our chances for drafting Jason White are subtly increasing. I'm really liking that.

Two time Heisman winner? ding! :thumbup:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
It is amazing how Lex takes one quote that Kendall told Mawae he was afraid Green didn't like him and was going to cut him, and Mawae said he lobbied the Jets to bring in Kendall, as some plot where Kendall intentionally pissed off Green so he'd be cut and could sign in NY and get a new bonus.

The Cards had no Center, Kendall was versatile enough that we decided to try and move him to C, and yes part of that thinking was it might prolong his career. It's not like the Cards were about to cut Kendall because he couldn't play guard.

Grove was pretty universally rated the top C in the draft, I guess if YOU conisdered Step the top C then you can defend the use of the word arguably, most had Step rated round 4 or later. He's doing OK for a 4th round pick thrown to the wolves as a rookie with an inexperienced LG, a bad RG, and now a bad inexperienced RG. But he's not nearly as good at C as Kendall was.

Kendall wasn't cut over performance or injury, Green didn't like him, didn't trust him, and tried to make a statement with the cut. Green did what he felt he had to do, it worked out great for Kendall, great for Step, and short term it hurt our OL.

We can run left, can't run right or really up the gut. We can't protect up the middle either, combination of the guards, Step, and line calls. Long term Step will be ok, but he wasn't ready to start this year.

Michael Corleone would have this to say to you:
Russ,
You're by brother (fellow Cardinal Fan) & I love you dearly, But don't ever take sides against the Family again, EVER. Kendall wanted OUT & he did what he had to do to get out of here. Green just obliged him. Very good player, but this franchise had let players get away this for too long. I'm glad he's gone, regardless of his talent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05