Philip Rivers starting to make believers out of NFL scouts.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr. reported today that Philip Rivers and his unorthodox but extremely quick release are starting to grow on a number of scouts and NFL GM's. When the season started Rivers was considered by many insiders to be another Danny Weurfull with that odd push type delivery, but he has since changed the minds on many who now see him as a Bernie Koser clone (super quick release, super smart, great intangibles). Kiper reported tha Rivers is probably listed as a 2nd rounder on most NFL draft boards but could sneak into the later parts of the first round if he has solid post season workouts.

I have seen Rivers a couple of times and he sure is an impressive guy. He does have a rather unique throwing motion but he does seem to have some zip on the ball and his release is lightning quick.

Just a thought: I wonder if Larry Fitzgerald (WR from Pitt) was sitting there when the Cards picked (say 3rd or 4th) and they try to do what San Diego did 2 years ago (get a marquee skill player like Ladanian Tomlinson, in our case Fitzgerald) and then roll the dice that Rivers would still be there for us at the top of the 2nd round. John Butler (then GM for the Chargers) explained to the media after the trade that he wanted to get 2 bigtime players for his backfield instead of one. He saw Tominson as the best player on the board (many may have Fitzgerald as the best athlete on the draft board if he comes out) and still get a quarterback who better fits their system.

Not saying that I would do this. I am definitely leaning toward taking the QB but it does make for some interesting conversation especially if Rivers continues to impress in post season workouts.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kiper must read this board. I said weeks ago that Rivers would wind up a late first round pick. Not, that i've been pitching the guy anywhere near as much as Krang though.

So, Kiper, if you're going to do the right thing, give Krang the kickback.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Kiper must read this board. I said weeks ago that Rivers would wind up a late first round pick. Not, that i've been pitching the guy anywhere near as much as Krang though.

So, Kiper, if you're going to do the right thing, give Krang the kickback.

Yeah, I have been pitching him a lot. :D

IMO, Philip Rivers will be every bit as good as Roetheaueyhpwet

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Holian
Mel Kiper Jr. reported today that Philip Rivers and his unorthodox but extremely quick release are starting to grow on a number of scouts and NFL GM's. When the season started Rivers was considered by many insiders to be another Danny Weurfull with that odd push type delivery, but he has since changed the minds on many who now see him as a Bernie Koser clone (super quick release, super smart, great intangibles). Kiper reported tha Rivers is probably listed as a 2nd rounder on most NFL draft boards but could sneak into the later parts of the first round if he has solid post season workouts.

I have seen Rivers a couple of times and he sure is an impressive guy. He does have a rather unique throwing motion but he does seem to have some zip on the ball and his release is lightning quick.

Just a thought: I wonder if Larry Fitzgerald (WR from Pitt) was sitting there when the Cards picked (say 3rd or 4th) and they try to do what San Diego did 2 years ago (get a marquee skill player like Ladanian Tomlinson, in our case Fitzgerald) and then roll the dice that Rivers would still be there for us at the top of the 2nd round. John Butler (then GM for the Chargers) explained to the media after the trade that he wanted to get 2 bigtime players for his backfield instead of one. He saw Tominson as the best player on the board (many may have Fitzgerald as the best athlete on the draft board if he comes out) and still get a quarterback who better fits their system.

Not saying that I would do this. I am definitely leaning toward taking the QB but it does make for some interesting conversation especially if Rivers continues to impress in post season workouts.

If we were to do this, I have to admit that I might have a heart attack at age 23. Fitzgerald and Rivers would be an excellent first two picks. Throw in Anquan Boldin, Marcel Shipp, Freddie Jones, and Bryant Johnson, we would have the pieces for an excellent offense.

Rivers won't be a flashy pro quaterback, but he will be an effective one. If we were to draft Rivers, I would seriously hope the team would think of making a strong push to bring in Norm Chow, the man who tutored Rivers (and made Palmer the #1 pick last year).

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i live in raleigh, nc and know rivers. from day one he had talent as a qb but lacked athletic prowess. well he has worked hard and now is pretty quick and can avoid the rush. class guy who is married with children and he will be one of the better qbs to play in the nfl. and did i mention that his football iq is fantastic and if he plays day one as a pro will be as calm as amost vets.