Phoenix Roadrunners

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
When the coyotes came to town the roadrunners decided to contract because they couldnt compete with the NHL

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cland said:
Last I heard they were playing in Toronto.

Not exactly true. The way I understand it, when Toronto got an AHL team, they bought the rights to the name and logo from the former owners of the Phoenix Roadrunners, not the franchise itself. So they are basically two different entities, Toronto just liked the name and logo so they bought it for their use, but the Phoenix team did not move to Toronto.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Not exactly true. The way I understand it, when Toronto got an AHL team, they bought the rights to the name and logo from the former owners of the Phoenix Roadrunners, not the franchise itself. So they are basically two different entities, Toronto just liked the name and logo so they bought it for their use, but the Phoenix team did not move to Toronto.

You're right. The actually team and staff is gone. But the name and logo lives on...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cland said:
You're right. The actually team and staff is gone. But the name and logo lives on...

Well, they just moved this year to Edmonton, where they got a new logo. Unfortunately, now only part of the name lives on. :(

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to LOVE the Roadrunners!!!!! I had a friend that would get tickets through his work and he'd often take me. I was so bummed when they left Phx! I haven't been to a hockey game since! :(

OP
OP
A

Angryguy

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the info. What website can I go to and check on the Edmonton team? Are they the Edmonton Roadrunners? Hey coupon queen you should check out a college game they are alot of fun too. Thanks again for the info we just don't get much on Phoenix sports down here in Tucson. I have to get all my info from the Phoenix papers. Tucson coverage sucks for anything but the Wildcats. It really burns me when they cover an out of state team more than they cover the in-states. And even when they cover the Coyotes it's maybe half a paragraph in the back of the paper!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angryguy said:
Hey thanks for all the info. What website can I go to and check on the Edmonton team? Are they the Edmonton Roadrunners? Hey coupon queen you should check out a college game they are alot of fun too. Thanks again for the info we just don't get much on Phoenix sports down here in Tucson. I have to get all my info from the Phoenix papers. Tucson coverage sucks for anything but the Wildcats. It really burns me when they cover an out of state team more than they cover the in-states. And even when they cover the Coyotes it's maybe half a paragraph in the back of the paper!

http://www.edmontonroadrunners.com/

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Roadrunners folded in '97 when the Coyotes came to town, then the IHL folded in 2001. Several of the IHL teams have actually joined other leagues like the AHL and ECHL. Kind of sad because the Turner Cup had such a long standing history.

Teams like the Houston Aeros, Utah Grizzlies, and Milwaukee Admirals, among other teams, are now in the AHL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05